• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery to think flavors should not be masked?

Kyoung05

Reaction score
I've been doing some thinking lately regarding drinks, food, etc. and have come to the general conclusion that people should eat food and drink drinks in a way that doesn't "mask" the flavors of their ingredients. What I mean by this is - no excessive use of sauces, no syrup-y mixers in cocktails, etc. On the one hand, sure, people should be able to eat and drink whatever the hell they want, without being scorned. On the other hand, if you're just going to take a shot of Jack Daniels and chase it with a coke - why bother? Is it snobbish to think that you should actually be able to TASTE what's in your food/drinks, and that if you don't like the flavor of a particular ingredient, you shouldn't be eating/drinking that thing?

Here's an example of what I'm referring to:

Lots of people who claim to be "sushi lovers" don't actually like the taste of raw fish. Rather, they seem to enjoy the crazy ridiculous rolls with 5 different types of fish, stuck under a broiler, and then slathered with teriyaki sauce. Or, when eating sashimi, they'll dunk the fish into a thick brownish-green mixture of wasabi/soy sauce. Seriously, can they actually taste the ingredients or are they just eating for the sake of eating?

Is this snobbery, or is the scorn justified?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's fine, but it always goes too far. I tire of these fart to table types who tell me that steak barely needs salt and pepper, sauces are just to cover up bad ingredients and that I should be eating my asparagus raw. Good cooking lies in accentuating flavors, and that often takes a lot more than just sticking a bald piece of meat or fish on the plate and telling you about the farm and the fisherman.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eat what you want. Don't let some pretentious prick tell you what tastes good. I can't eat steak with out raw horse raddish or most fish without tartar sauce. Doesn't matter how high quality the steak or fish is I just find it always tastes better with horse raddish or tartar sauce. Jacks not really a particularly expensive drink, my uncle used to drink XO cognac and coke and I thought that was a waste because you wouldn't taste the difference between cognac in coke, but jack and coke isn't much of a waste.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Eat what you want. Don't let some pretentious prick tell you what tastes good. I can't eat steak with out raw horse raddish or most fish without tartar sauce. Doesn't matter how high quality the steak or fish is I just find it always tastes better with horse raddish or tartar sauce. Jacks not really a particularly expensive drink, my uncle used to drink XO cognac and coke and I thought that was a waste because you wouldn't taste the difference between cognac in coke, but jack and coke isn't much of a waste.

lol

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
What happens if you are at a restaurant without tartar sauce and horseradish? You might want to branch out a bit, bro. Lots of good things out there for meat and fish.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't need it, I can eat steak or fish without horse raddish or tartar sauce, but I prefer it with. I didn't write I couldn't eat it without. I just wrote I don't care how expensive the steak is or how its cooked, if I have horse raddish I'm having it with the steak.

Monaco

Reaction score
I don't like Japanese food much but I do like to have sushi with wasabi, nothing wrong with that...

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****, got me there. Should have wrote I prefer steak with horse raddish, my mistake.

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I tire of these fart to table types who tell me that steak barely needs salt and pepper, sauces are just to cover up bad ingredients and that I should be eating my asparagus raw. Good cooking lies in accentuating flavors, and that often takes a lot more than just sticking a bald piece of meat or fish on the plate and telling you about the farm and the fisherman.

This.

Learning to eat is like learning to cook; it takes exposure to a range of ingredients in varying qualities and preparations to gain a real appreciation for both the independent elements and potential interactions. I find that, when culinary magic occurs, I may not be at all certain of everything I'm tasting, nor do I much care. I also don't care if the folks at the next table think what I'm eating is awful; and, if I don't, then why should they care what I think of their food choices?

Q: Is orange "masking" red and yellow?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no problem with sauces so long as they are actually good and add something to the dish.

Anyone who uses bottled ketchup, yellow mustard, A1 sauce or ranch dressing on anything at any time should probably be executed.

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Anyone who uses bottled ketchup, yellow mustard, A1 sauce or ranch dressing on anything at any time should probably be executed.

I don't care for any of those things, but I think each has its place. (Please spare us the obvious joke responses.) Should we ban Worcestershire and Tabasco next?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I have no problem with sauces so long as they are actually good and add something to the dish.

I apologize for being alive, Harvey.
frown.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
I apologize for being alive, Harvey.
frown.gif

Apology accepted, I pardon you.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kyoung i agree with you but we're the minority. i dont know about you but i'm the guy who always gets things "plain" or with stuff "on the side." i feel like a lot of people overdo it with the extras/condiments. then again, i don't even like ketchup on my french fries.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics