• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery to think flavors should not be masked?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All things considered, people who don't put ketchup on their cheeseburgers have always confused me.

ktrp

Reaction score
They are different styles of cooking, both have their place.

To overgeneralize terribly, italian cooking has more of a focus on highlighting great fresh ingredients in a simple way that lets their quality shine through, french cooking, while demanding great ingredients as well, has traditionally been more focused on formal culinary training creating new flavours out of the ingredients. A lot of french recipes are based on other recipes based on some basic stock made out of xyz ingredients and so on.

There are snobs on both sides, I imagine. The traditional parisian style might view the italian as not cooking at all, just a bunch of farmers who are proud of what they grew/raised. Modern foodies tend to be very ingredient focused, perhaps in reaction to the crap ingredients most of us grew up with in north america.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
...putting Worcestershire on cheesesteaks...

confused.gif

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coop86
I'm probably going to get a bunch of crap for this based on the hot sause thread but...

I agree, I have never understood why some people dump, not drizzle, Tabasco on everything claiming it "enhances" the taste of the food. Might was well eat a bunch of toast soaked in Tabasco at that point.

Another is people who order the hottest wings and completely cover them in blue cheese/ranch dressing...

blue cheese (actual blue cheese) and tabsco on burgers... so gooooooood...

yellow mustard, relish, and ketchup on a hot dog... soooo gooooood...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads