• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking on Airplanes.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I remember there were still smoking sections on Air China flights into the mid-90s.

They were more civilized that way.

a relative of mine had to travel to china 2 years ago and was pleasantly amazed that smoking was allowed on the plane, chinese company.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
There was nothing better than smoking on an intercontinental flight. There was nothing worse than waking up on that flight after smoking and then breathing that disgusting airplane air. I always felt the need to shave my tongue.

My dad used to smoke on planes during intercontinental flights. I always found it rather off-putting, even though I'm not particularly anti-smoking.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am old enough to have been a smoker on domestic flights.

Seconds after the plane was in the air the "No Smoking" signs went off and immediately the lighters and cigarettes were lit. Sometime around 1974 they set up smoking and non-smoking sections. At first, the left side of the plane was for smoking and the right side for non-smokers. I always thought that was funny.

About a year later they made the front of the plane non-smoking pushing all the smokers to the rear. And on most domestic flights, that was where the gallery/bar was located. So, sitting in the back of the plane was kinda like a party, even on early morning flights. Unlike today, drinks were served within just a few minutes of being airborne, arriving about the same time as your second smoke.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinchi22
In fact, the article you cite says air cabin air quality is less anti-septic and more compromised.

I suppose you´d rather turn airplanes into flying ash trays again rather than simply use HEPA-standard filters on all aircraft.

Uh slow down, I didn't cite the article, and I don't smoke, so I have no dog in the fight.. All I am saying is when you look back and watch movies from the 70s, Dirty Harry, Dog Day Afternoon, the world was much gritter and interesting.. Modern life is like walking around a hospital.. Actually, I think smoking was allowed in hospital waiting rooms in the 70s too..

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was on an Air Portugal flight that allowed smoking in the mid-90's in the aft section, once we were over international waters. It SUCKED! I flew British Airways back.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, nothing beats the airline industry in it's hayday. I remember when I was 17 and flying to Ireland. Flight attendants were pampering the **** out of me and constantly bringing me drinks and food that was halfway decent(complementary of course). I was drunk and slept like a baby.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when I first started flying there was still alot of smoking on planes, and I remember that the business class sections on some planes were 3 rows - 2 non and one smoking, so effectivly all of business class was smoky. and people would come from the non smoking economy and stand by the smoking business, so it was just a ******* nightmare.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
It's disgusting and shouldn't be allowed ANYWHERE where I or my family have to breathe it.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Uh slow down, I didn't cite the article, and I don't smoke, so I have no dog in the fight.. All I am saying is when you look back and watch movies from the 70s, Dirty Harry, Dog Day Afternoon, the world was much gritter and interesting.. Modern life is like walking around a hospital.. Actually, I think smoking was allowed in hospital waiting rooms in the 70s too..

I'm not sure we can trust those movies to be accurate records of history, although I do know what you mean.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, the good old days...

I remember smoking on domestic flights too. Heck I remember smoking in classrooms in college (some profs who smoked allowed it). During exams, the last three rows at the back were reserved for smokers; it was a nice touch. We had a rickety, slow, old evelator that only went up three floors and I think it's the only elevator I've ever seen with an ashtray so you didn't have to butt out before going in.

Seriously though, a non-smoking section on an airplane is futile. I am an occasional smoker now and I'm not sure I want to go back to those days.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When they start having more double decker planes, I don't see why this wouldn't be easily accomplished. It's too bad smoking is so bad for you because there aren't many things quite as sophisticated. I think one of the real charming things about foreign countries isn't the architecture, it's the fact that everything smells like cigarettes.

In the 80s even high schools had smoking lounges! Mine did at least.

That being said, I couldn't stand someone smoking right next to me.

After reading the article, he makes some good points on air quality. I'm almost positive I've gotten sick on most international flights I've been on. One for sure, but the dude was coughing on me while I slept. I prolly have TB now.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
I use to work in a place that serviced old world war II fighter planes and it was amusing to see that all the planes still had ash trays for the pilots, it seems odd now but i'm sure it was the norm back then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads