• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim climbing pants

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
Just get some stretchy jeans and cuff em, and if thats too blasphemous anything that pads your knees. This is assuming you're doing multipitch, trad or something where there will be friction.

I boulder mainly, so gym shorts and underarmour do me just fine.

wsdavis

Reaction score
A bit late, but I wear Prana Bronson pants for my job as a route setter and climbing instructor. They look like normal chino-ish jeans, but they're reinforced and have a gusseted crotch for wearing a harness. I snagged my first pair for half off at REI, and if you hunt around, you can find them on markdown. They're made from a really stretchy fabric, so you can reach tricky stuff and still not smash your knees up.

unrooted

Reaction score
This is quite an old post, but I'm an avid climber so I thought i could chime in for future fancy kids that get into climbing.

My favorite climbing pants are a pair of Lifetime Jeans that I have, they fit me really well, are long (i'm 6'4") and are really thin stretchy material. I mostly wear those when I'm bouldering or sport climbing. If I'm trad climbing I wear a pair of canvas carhartt pants. They come really baggy but I have a serger and a little bit of sewing skills. If you want one really nice pair of climbing pants and you aren't super tall I would recommend the Patagonia Guide pants, they aren't baggy and the material lasts quite a while.

NOW if you want to fit in with 'real' climbers (this is as much of a lifestyle sport as surfing) then I would suggest getting a cheap pair of carhartts or dickies, preferably from the thrift store. If you mostly climb in the gym then Prana is the most common pair of pants/shorts you'll see there. If you're in Yosemite, the gunks or other classic climbing areas then the more "dirtbag" you look the more likely you are to not stand out as a little rich kid. I wear "nice" clothes to work and beat-to-hell-and-back-clothing to the crag. I save my money for good climbing shoes, made in Italy of course.

This is my two cents, dressing well is very un-important to the hardcore climbers, but wearing the right thing to the gym seems TOO important. So wear whatever you have in the back of your closet and let your climbing speak for itself.

Also think of climbers as wanna-be tough guy cowboys where you NEVER talk about your climbing abilities (unless you are dead certain you know how hard you can climb and you are looking for a partner).

unrooted

Reaction score

Just get some stretchy jeans and cuff em, and if thats too blasphemous anything that pads your knees. This is assuming you're doing multipitch, trad or something where there will be friction. I boulder mainly, so gym shorts and underarmour do me just fine.

Also stay away from "traditional' gym clothing, you will look like a tool. Climbers view themselves as very separate from traditional sports. Avoid the following brands like the plague, unless the clothes are beat to hell: Nike, Under Armour, Team Sports Clothing, Reebok (especially the Crossfit garbage), and especially those vibram 5-fingers (that should be a given on this thread).

If you are going to buy climbing clothing use the same maxims you would for your dress clothing-quality is expensive but it lasts. For shoes try to buy european shoes (scarpa, la sportiva) or American (five ten, newer evolvs), for approach shoes get the expensive ones made in Europe, for climbing clothing buy work-wear or thriftstore clothing. It is obvious but clothing with big corporate themed logos (including BD!) are lame.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear bown robert geller jeans (stretch) and bauhaus/joy division tanks I cut myself. Shoes I have La Sportiva Solutions (love hurts) and Five Ten Anasazi Arrowhead (bit less aggressive) I live in boulder (mecca) and most guys at the gym wear skinny jeans cuffed and shirt optional (show off your awesome lats) Outdoors I will wear stretchy patagucci pants warmer, lighter and waterproof.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads