• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet. So to clarify both GMTO are going to be genuine branded Dainite and not the clone that the stock boot had?

Yes

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How would you rate Carminas Silver Sole compared to genuine Dainite? Any long term experience?

Also, incredible service, placed an order last night, shipped today
1f44d.png

If you have a decent shoe rotation, both "real" dainite and "imitation" dainite will last what feels like eons.

mdubya

Reaction score
If you have a decent shoe rotation, both "real" dainite and "imitation" dainite will last what feels like eons.

Maybe this is exclusive to Meermin, but I have a pair of Meermin boots (my first and last pair), with the Dainite knock-off soles, that have been worn in a rotation of about 10 boots, and they have worn through the stitching at the toe, and the heel has significant wear.

My pairs of Loake 1880 boots, which come with a genuine Dainite, some of which are 2 - 3 years old and have seen 2-3x the amount of wear the Meermins have, still look legitimately brand new with maybe a tad of wear on the heel and the toe.

If I wore the meermins once a week for the whole year (which I don't because they are a winter only boot), they would probably be nearing a re-sole before their 2nd year of life.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Maybe this is exclusive to Meermin, but I have a pair of Meermin boots (my first and last pair), with the Dainite knock-off soles, that have been worn in a rotation of about 10 boots, and they have worn through the stitching at the toe, and the heel has significant wear.

My pairs of Loake 1880 boots, which come with a genuine Dainite, some of which are 2 - 3 years old and have seen 2-3x the amount of wear the Meermins have, still look legitimately brand new with maybe a tad of wear on the heel and the toe.

If I wore the meermins once a week for the whole year (which I don't because they are a winter only boot), they would probably be nearing a re-sole before their 2nd year of life.

There are many, many Dainite clones or look alikes. You can't just bunch them all together.

I have never ever had any issues with any genuine Dainite or Dainite clone soles. I've never owned Meermin shoes, so I can't comment on these.

Last edited:

insy

Reaction score
I guess we gotta rely on customers feedback. Makes me worry a little bit that Meermins Soles suck, given they share exact same lasts with Carmina it majes me think it could be the same soles as well.

However, leather and quite a few other things are different.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Carmina pseudo Dainite at the moment. It is softer and more comfy than standard dainite. Maybe not quite as hard wearing, but still comparable in feel to hard Vibram lugs. They certainly don't feel cheap or flimsy. I wouldn't be worried.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take him at his word that the sole on his pairs underperformed. However, among the many possibilities, it could be just a lousy or defective pair in this case. It doesn't necessarily mean that the entire sole run or type of sole is bad. One anecdotal experience does not make a trend.

sdfzs

Reaction score
I have plenty of carmina boots with the danite sole they label as "silver". They are IMO as durable as the original and very hard wearing. Can't speak for Meermin but personally I would not see any frequent resole need with Carmina unless you really go hard in the toe or heel

mdubya

Reaction score
I am by no means stating that any non-Dainite branded sole is going to be low-quality.

Pretty sure that C&J do not use soles with the Dainite logo - however perhaps they are dainite soles simply branded for C&J.

All I can say is that with my Meermins, the sole feels and wore much softer than my genuine dainite soles.

I doubt Carmina, even if using an in-house "dainite", would cheap out on something so important as a sole. But all of this is not really important given that it is confirmed the CS field boot MTOs will come with a Dainite-branded sole.

I sort of regret drumming all of this up in the first place because its nowhere near as big as deal as the boot itself or the makeup!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not meaning to imply anyone's motives, just giving my experience. :)

Yeah, CJ uses genuine dainite. Dainite also makes the new city sole.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I am by no means stating that any non-Dainite branded sole is going to be low-quality.

Pretty sure that C&J do not use soles with the Dainite logo - however perhaps they are dainite soles simply branded for C&J.

All I can say is that with my Meermins, the sole feels and wore much softer than my genuine dainite soles.

I doubt Carmina, even if using an in-house "dainite", would cheap out on something so important as a sole. But all of this is not really important given that it is confirmed the CS field boot MTOs will come with a Dainite-branded sole.

I sort of regret drumming all of this up in the first place because its nowhere near as big as deal as the boot itself or the makeup!

It's a forum - we debate and discuss! It's all good! You should post your feedback in the Meermin thread, I'm sure people will appreciate it even more there as we do not carry Meermin.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I have plenty of carmina boots with the danite sole they label as "silver". They are IMO as durable as the original and very hard wearing. Can't speak for Meermin but personally I would not see any frequent resole need with Carmina unless you really go hard in the toe or heel

Agreed!

Galix

Reaction score
All my shoes with Dainite or Dainite clones are pretty much equivalent in terms of how the sole feels and behaves. I doubt Carmina would use soles that are worse than original Dainite.
Regarding Meermin, my experience is in general negative. But then again, they are in another class compared to Carmina or Carlos Santos.

mdubya

Reaction score
My comment was not about Meermin in specific but my experience with knock-off Dainite soles which another remember asked about on the previous page. I am glad to hear that Carminas Dainite rubber sole does not suffer the same issues I had with Meermin. For those who are ordering it, I think it is a positive thing that the GMTOs will come with genuine Dainite.

Looking forward to seeing the different GMTO combos, maybe a few more combos are in store yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads