Silk or Satin Shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RicoItaliano, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Silk...good to have a few just for casual wear

2. LARon

LARon Senior member

Dragon, the shoes in your avatar, who makes those? (They look spectacular, with great antiquing.)

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Silk shirts - kinda cool, kinda cheesy. I've worn them occasionally and will probably do so again though I don't think I've any in my wardrobe right now.

4. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

I like 'em for casual wear (silk) or with a sportcoat. I'd consider one with a mohair blend suit-gotta go with the sheen then[​IMG]

5. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Do not like them.

6. RicoItaliano

RicoItaliano Well-Known Member

Silk shirts - kinda cool, kinda cheesy. I've worn them occasionally and will probably do so again though I don't think I've any in my wardrobe right now.

You find a silk shirt kinda cheesy? How come?

7. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I have several silk shirts. Satin is much too hot. I use a crepe de chine or a spun silk broadcloth. Crepe de chine is nice and airy (relatively speaking) and light. Its also matte and doesnt have that gloss associated with women's blouses. In an ivory or cream shade it can be nice for a formal shirt or just a plain shirt for dinner. Black or sapphire blue for night, maybe a silver grey and a royal blue. ive gotten other colors and regretted it.They need to be hand washed in something soft like baby shampoo and hung to dry, then gently hand ironed. No matter what you do, they will fade over time if they are darker than the light colors. Thats probably why the only ones ever really used by men was the cream for formal occasions.

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I've worn them in the past but they are very difficult to maintain especially if you are prone to sweating.

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Since I've not found a cleaner that will laundry silk or the like and I don't care for dry cleaning, I've not gotten any silk shirts in years.

10. RicoItaliano

Since I've not found a cleaner that will laundry silk or the like and I don't care for dry cleaning, I've not gotten any silk shirts in years.

What about Woolite? I thought that was for silks.

11. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

What make of silk shirt?

Cypress from Hong Kong. The finish is herringbone, matte.

12. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I know a couturiere level seamstress, who used to make silk shirts for her husband. This woman 'sponged' the silk, before it was cut. She'd put a damp sponge in her clothes dryer, then throw in the fabric. Airfluff, for ten minutes. The silk emerged as 'one, big, stain,' in her words. After that, the shirt was made up.

This allowed it to be washed and ironed, at home.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

You find a silk shirt kinda cheesy? How come?

Um, sorry if this sounds politically incorrect/offensive, but done badly, it can come off a bit Mafioso. But they can look good on some people, if co-ordinated nicely.

14. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

just bought off white shirt fabric 60%silk 40%cotton - with fine pinstripes (off white) - works well in this mix but would not like it to be 100% silk (or satin) for all the above reasons

15. RicoItaliano

Um, sorry if this sounds politically incorrect/offensive, but done badly, it can come off a bit Mafioso. But they can look good on some people, if co-ordinated nicely.

No appology required. I just never thought of a nice silk shirt as cheesy and was curious.