• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ramdomthought

Reaction score
@ericleavitt Your next purchase should definitely be a chair or couch from the EG x Pacific Furniture Service collaboration

So much more versatility than a simple coat of which you have plenty, and shirts can be filled by the likes of cheaper brands

On the real though, asking "what you should get next" is kind of pointless. A paint-by-numbers approach to the brand seems pretty counter to a lot of the playfulness of the brand and the large variety of garments you can get. It's not about whether or not you SHOULD get a (faux)furry duffle coat, a duck chore coat, a STIFF COTTON bedford, or a patchwork potato skin bucket hat. Instead, it's a lot more valuable to say "this is the kind of thing I'm looking for, does this brand have something like that?" and hunt down the piece that has the details that interest you.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which jacket should be my next purchase? I currently have a FW15 Navy Moleskin Bedford, a FW15 Olive Bull Denim Highland Parka, and a FW11 Cruiser Jacket in green wool. Do I need another jacket, or should I focus more on shirts (i'm lacking)?

didn't you just post in the slp thread that you wanted to sell all your eg to buy slp?

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what! traitor! haha - btw, excuse my ignorance, but what's slp?
Don't worry, I'm very indecisive. But in reality, I think I'm steering more towards EG and away from RRL, so I was confused for a bit. I guess I can appreciate other aesthetics without getting into them. Haha, it's definitely difficult having ADHD.

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
The chambray and dungaree fabrics look very similar. What are the main differences between the two? Which (in your opinion) looks better in person?

ubiquitous

Reaction score

The chambray and dungaree fabrics look very similar. What are the main differences between the two? Which (in your opinion) looks better in person?

I have both chambray and dungaree from EG, I've found the dungaree to have more of a purple sheen in person, whereas the chambray varies between grey and blue tones season to season. The chambrays typically have a somewhat more crisp hand to them (though by no means actually cardboard-y stiff), whereas I've found the dungaree very soft and drapey. Maybe others can chime in that have chambrays or dungaree from other seasons. I think the biggest visual difference for me SS 15 was the purplish sheen on my dungaree bedford.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little off topic but A few Daiki quotes in this book I picked up

Ametora: How Japan Saved American Style

http://www.amazon.com/Ametora-Japan...ywords=ametora+how+japan+saved+american+style

My only peeve so far is that the pictures are in black & white, but that probably keeps the price down.

Worth getting if you're into such stuff.

A copy arrived through my letterbox last night - only had a quick flick through but it looks like it will be a decent read.

Finished it this past weekend, really enjoyed it.

It's a very interesting read. I especially liked the chapter on Vintage & Replica. As I mentioned in the Self Edge thread, it read like a Ludlum thriller with the Japanese buyers combing middle America's forgotten department stores and thrift shops. Secrecy and bribery (w/Godiva chocolates in one case) were tools of the trade used to gain access to the shangri la...an old department store's basement, potentially chock full of NOS goodness. It must have been a fun time for the Japanese apparel entrepreneurs of the 80's and 90's.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have both chambray and dungaree from EG, I've found the dungaree to have more of a purple sheen in person, whereas the chambray varies between grey and blue tones season to season. The chambrays typically have a somewhat more crisp hand to them (though by no means actually cardboard-y stiff), whereas I've found the dungaree very soft and drapey. Maybe others can chime in that have chambrays or dungaree from other seasons. I think the biggest visual difference for me SS 15 was the purplish sheen on my dungaree bedford.

I wouldn't have described it as purplish, but I see what you mean. The dungaree is definitely bolder coloured and less rigid/stiff/firm as well as feeling a little more substantial without being heavyweight. Both are great fabrics...

tjonesd2

Reaction score
Hmmm I found the dungaree cloth to be rather rough on the skin. Had to sell my 19c shirt from SS14 because it was too uncomfortable for me.

Cole87

Reaction score
Is there anyone with a similar build to me that can give me some sizing advice for EG? I really want to get into EG and buy some pieces, but I'm not sure how it will fit on me. I do powerlifting, so I'm kind of broad. I'm 6'1, 210 lbs, 43.5 inch chest, 19.5 shoulders. Should I be going L or XL in most pieces? How does EG work with people of my build? I see a lot of people that post in here that look great in their EG pieces, but I'm not sure of their builds in comparison to mine. I know some brands really only look good on thin people.

tjonesd2

Reaction score

Is there anyone with a similar build to me that can give me some sizing advice for EG? I really want to get into EG and buy some pieces, but I'm not sure how it will fit on me. I do powerlifting, so I'm kind of broad. I'm 6'1, 210 lbs, 43.5 inch chest, 19.5 shoulders. Should I be going L or XL in most pieces? How does EG work with people of my build? I see a lot of people that post in here that look great in their EG pieces, but I'm not sure of their builds in comparison to mine. I know some brands really only look good on thin people.

XL blazers and L/XL in shirts/coats depending on fit preference/style and which season it's from. IMO EG works great for us heavier guys. The minimalist/sleek looks of a lot of contemporary brands don't, but EG isn't in that camp.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads