• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I stay or should I go --- to Dubai?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine from undergrad is getting married. It'll be in Dubai, and a week long from late March to early April. Says he'll cover hotel and events.

It'll cost me around $1200 rt for the flight (IMO cheap), and incidentals, so probably $2000 or so total. I'm in law school, and while I'd love to miss class, I also have work, and additionally tutor a weekly writing group that I'm already missing 2 other sessions for another reason. I don't really have $2000 set aside, but I can probably afford it.

This will probably be the only chance I'll get to visit Dubai on this side of $2000.

Decisions, decisions. Please help me, Internet strangers.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're not in the wedding party it doesn't really sound worth it. I suppose it might be worth it if he's one of your best friends and not having any attendants, but it seems like a lot for just a "buddy." If you don't get paid vacation at work, you have to consider the opportunity cost that is created by missing work on top of the money you'll have to shell out for the trip. Plus, if missing classes in law school is anything like missing classes grad school, I know what a pain it is to make that time up.

It's certainly nice to travel at a discount, but it seems that you might be better off paying more to visit when the timing is better.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with the others, seems like alot of money, for something your hesitant about.

thomazzz

Reaction score
I'd pass and spend the cash on clove cigarettes and scratch off lottery tickets.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, you're in law school? Do you have federal loans? I went to Laos, Japan, Singapore, Cambodia, and Korea all on separate respective trips through law school, with study abroad or with the leftovers from the federal loans... and I still have excesses left over. Don't give me this excuse that you don't want to go an extra $2000 in debt... $100,000 or $102,000 isn't a lick of difference over 20 years of repayment... and you shouldn't ruin your last few years of youth just for financial conservatism's sake. Don't get started on the ethics of using fed student loans for vacations either- with the 8% interest rate going they're practically stealing the money from you, every dime of which you will pay back in due course. Go! Have lots of fun
smile.gif

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montrachet
I'm boycotting Dubai. That place runs on slavery.
the ablity to hold people accountable for their debt, shown in the article is actually a positive thing.
but do you check the business practicses of every company, before you buy a product of the company?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually I think that travel is one of the best experiences in life, but everyone I know that has been to Dubai thought it was pretty much just a big shopping mall in the middle of the desert.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a. college (grad or undergrad) is definitely a place to **** around and be irresponsible, well with everything but your actually schoolwork...

b. which brings me back to my next point - which T4 law school do you go to that you can afford to miss three classes?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Usually I think that travel is one of the best experiences in life, but everyone I know that has been to Dubai thought it was pretty much just a big shopping mall in the middle of the desert.

yeah, dubia has a few sort of cool things, but its something like dallas/vegas in the dessert. big malls, wild buildings, lots of whores, not a lot aside from that.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's a close friend and you can manage being away, then go and have fun.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
yeah, dubia has a few sort of cool things, but its something like dallas/vegas in the dessert. big malls, wild buildings, lots of whores, not a lot aside from that.

+ 1

Not a good introduction to Arab or Mid East culture.

It's a nice enough place to stop for a day to break-up a long flight, but not great as an end destination.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
a. college (grad or undergrad) is definitely a place to **** around and be irresponsible, well with everything but your actually schoolwork...

b. which brings me back to my next point - which T4 law school do you go to that you can afford to miss three classes?

I went T1 and missed the maximum number of classes every semester (although my GPA showed it). Did not went to spend any more of twenties listening to boring old people than I had to.

Some people have different priorities.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
A buddy of mine from undergrad is getting married. It'll be in Dubai, and a week long from late March to early April. Says he'll cover hotel and events.

It'll cost me around $1200 rt for the flight (IMO cheap), and incidentals, so probably $2000 or so total. I'm in law school, and while I'd love to miss class, I also have work, and additionally tutor a weekly writing group that I'm already missing 2 other sessions for another reason. I don't really have $2000 set aside, but I can probably afford it.

This will probably be the only chance I'll get to visit Dubai on this side of $2000.

Decisions, decisions. Please help me, Internet strangers.

If you can afford it definitely go. I was in Dubai last October, it's a very interesting place - don't expect to pick up [normal] girls though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads