• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

gr8man

Reaction score
Mine is actually this one below. I like it, but wear the red version of their "Aloha shirts" more. I find it easier to pair the red shirt with the stuff I normally wear below (e.g. blue jeans and olive fatigues) and then jackets (jackets in tan, olive, or navy). Whereas a blue shirt sometimes looks too blue with blue jackets or blue jeans.

It's a small thing, but on both of my shirts, the buttons are somewhat loosely sewn. I've had them for a few years now and the buttons have stayed on, but I've always thought about getting a tailor to reattach the buttons. You can also just do the job at home. Otherwise, a nice shirt, albeit a bit expensive.

View attachment 1587091
Thanks, very nice shirt, by the way size 3 Kapital refer to M, am I right?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, very nice shirt, by the way size 3 Kapital refer to M, am I right?

I find Kapital sizing depends on the item.

I have a 38 chest and usually take a small in most tops. In the Kapital Aloha shirts, I'm a size 2. In the Kapital denim Western shirt, I'm a 3. In the Ring coat, I'm again a 2. I once tried on their trucker jacket and again had to go to a 3. I think it's best to buy based on measurements and from places where you can do returns.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine is actually this one below. I like it, but wear the red version of their "Aloha shirts" more. I find it easier to pair the red shirt with the stuff I normally wear below (e.g. blue jeans and olive fatigues) and then jackets (jackets in tan, olive, or navy). Whereas a blue shirt sometimes looks too blue with blue jackets or blue jeans.

It's a small thing, but on both of my shirts, the buttons are somewhat loosely sewn. I've had them for a few years now and the buttons have stayed on, but I've always thought about getting a tailor to reattach the buttons. You can also just do the job at home. Otherwise, a nice shirt, albeit a bit expensive.

View attachment 1587091

Whch red shirt are you referring to? Any pics?

gr8man

Reaction score
I find Kapital sizing depends on the item.

I have a 38 chest and usually take a small in most tops. In the Kapital Aloha shirts, I'm a size 2. In the Kapital denim Western shirt, I'm a 3. In the Ring coat, I'm again a 2. I once tried on their trucker jacket and again had to go to a 3. I think it's best to buy based on measurements and from places where you can do returns.
Thanks for enlightening me.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Warm weather and buzzed head means I might need something on top. I don't think I am ready for the whole bucket hat thing... So, how about this cap instead? I've never owned a cap before, so this is a bit of uncharted territory for me...

Regular?
View attachment 1586949

View attachment 1586951

Or "crash remake"?

View attachment 1586950

Or nein of das above?

Get a few regular ballcaps and see where that takes you instead of going for a super specific solution that you don't even know is the one you'll wear.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the quality of Kika NY belts? The website doesn't seem to say anywhere what leather you are actually getting.

I have one of their o-ring belts in black. The leather feels like 10 oz English bridle to me. I think it's reasonably well made and I'm happy with the purchase.

Leather is comparable to Narragansett Leathers, who also offers o-rings. Some slight differences:
- Kika uses a square end by default. If you want, they can make theirs with a soft point for no upcharge. Narragansett also makes theirs with rivets by default, but you can ask for hand-stitching.

- I think the hand-stitching on my Kika looks better. The Narragansett uses a finer thread and needle, but the lines are a bit wobbly, especially towards the end away from the buckle. Below is the Kika in black and Narragansett in tan.

IMG_0482.JPG
IMG_0485.JPG

- Kika uses a slightly larger buckle, which in turn means their straps are a little wider. I prefer the width of the Narragansett, but the stitching quality of the Kika.

IMG_0490.JPG

- Edges are finished similarly (rough, but I think OK on a casual belt). Narragansett overlaps their leather more towards the end (necessary on an o-ring if you don't want the reverse side of the leather to show, as you "flip" the leather over on itself for the closure). But on mine, they placed this part in such a way that the square stitching (shown above) is visible when worn. Whereas Kika made it so the stitching is hidden when worn.

IMG_0492.JPG

The only quibble I have with my Kika is that I wish it was just a little narrower, closer to the Narragansett. But otherwise, I think it's better made. The stitching is better and hidden when worn. They stamp the end of their strap with a logo, but it's barely visible (maybe you can ask for it to be put on the reverse side if it bothers you).

@UrbanComposition also owns one of their belts, so maybe he can say something about it.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a few regular ballcaps and see where that takes you instead of going for a super specific solution that you don't even know is the one you'll wear.

That sounds like sensible advice. For someone who has no experience with caps, is there any particular style you mean by "ballcaps"? Just regular MLB caps?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re caps, i recently got this Arket canvas cap, very reasonable for the price. Otherwise I quite like the plain ebbets caps
app006prod

gardenvariety

Reaction score
Warm weather and buzzed head means I might need something on top. I don't think I am ready for the whole bucket hat thing... So, how about this cap instead? I've never owned a cap before, so this is a bit of uncharted territory for me...

Regular?
View attachment 1586949

View attachment 1586951

Or "crash remake"?

View attachment 1586950

Or nein of das above?

I've had one like the second one for 2 or 3 years now and I wear it often, I would vote for that one personally.

It's nice and soft, and fits my big-ass head well. I just happened to post a pic in the WAYWT thread with it if you want to see it in action.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like and wear Ebbets cap, but like many baseball caps, the front is reinforced with buckram, which raises the profile. At the risk of over-intellectualizing baseball caps, I think this gives it a different vibe -- a bit more Americana, rather than the kind of workwear hoodog wears.

I would go for a lower profile cap, like the Asket above. Or military-esque four panel caps like Papa Nui.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads