• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Got both 32 and 34 cause I'm unsure about sizing. Talked with a guy in chat and he said "They're a very slim fit but are true to size ". Don't think he knows what he's talking about.

Got in the size 34 Norse Projects Heavy Aros. Waist-wise, these are spot-on and TTS. Measured the thigh and they are just within the range that I could wear at ~12.5".

Very impressed with the build quality too though I've never had so much trouble unbuttoning anything as I have with these.

Would still prefer an even wider cut particularly around the thigh but these will more than suffice. Next time though, I think I will follow @malcb33 advice and go even wider. Maybe even their Andersen chino.

Attachments

• Edited3.jpg
    Edited3.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Edited1.jpg
    Edited1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 66

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in the size 34 Norse Projects Heavy Aros. Waist-wise, these are spot-on and TTS. Measured the thigh and they are just within the range that I could wear at ~12.5".

Very impressed with the build quality too though I've never had so much trouble unbuttoning anything as I have with these.

Would still prefer an even wider cut particularly around the thigh but these will more than suffice. Next time though, I think I will follow @malcb33 advice and go even wider. Maybe even their Andersen chino.
Personally, I wouldn’t be happy with the fit of those pants. I can see the leg hem is wider, but the silhouette isn’t flattering as it’s still fairly tight around your thighs and then looser below the knee. IMO you need a longer rise and a slightly wider thigh to balance that out.

I still think playing around with inexpensive vintage or even Uniqlo U would be a smarter way to go until you nail the fit.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn’t be happy with the fit of those pants. I can see the leg hem is wider, but the silhouette isn’t flattering as it’s still fairly tight around your thighs and then looser below the knee. IMO you need a longer rise and a slightly wider thigh to balance that out.

I still think playing around with inexpensive vintage or even Uniqlo U would be a smarter way to go until you nail the fit.

Thanks for the advice! Will definitely experiment with less costly options first. As less than stellar as the fit might be, these are still a lot better than my current pair for sure.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found it too oily and just sort of a hassle -- not something I'd wear in the rain cause it was too short, but too oily for non-rainy days.
I had a tin cloth cruiser I sold after about a year. I also had another Filson jacket (I forget the model it was a while ago), that was longer but I eventually sold as well. Something about the Filson waxed jackets (especially the unlined ones) post 2013 buyout is too oily. The finishing on them is just strangely subpar for the price. So far I have yet to find a Filson waxed jacket with lined sleeves where the wax doesn't bleed through the sleeves and suddenly my arms are oily. It rains a lot here so I am still on the hunt for a good casual raincoat.

Or for a better version of the second, consider Barbour.
I think I'm going to try a Barbour tbh, everyone swears by them.

thank you all for suggestions folks

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
I had a tin cloth cruiser I sold after about a year. I also had another Filson jacket (I forget the model it was a while ago), that was longer but I eventually sold as well. Something about the Filson waxed jackets (especially the unlined ones) post 2013 buyout is too oily. The finishing on them is just strangely subpar for the price. So far I have yet to find a Filson waxed jacket with lined sleeves where the wax doesn't bleed through the sleeves and suddenly my arms are oily. It rains a lot here so I am still on the hunt for a good casual raincoat.

I think I'm going to try a Barbour tbh, everyone swears by them.

thank you all for suggestions folks
My favorite jacket/raincoat is by Freeman based in Seattle. Really versatile and keeps the rain out for the most part. There was one day I had to stand in a downpour for like 30 minutes and I did get a little wet.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh god you made my decision harder, I am partial to anything made in the PNW

I think first you should decide on style, unless you don't care about that.

You're jumping between workwear, heritage, and technical pieces. If it's all the same to you, definitely go with what you want to support more. However, I might recommend that you explore where you want to take your wardrobe. Not that you can't wear a barbour with anything, but it's a different animal from a waterproof technical rain jacket.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you with young kids, what do you use to carry around the baby/kids stuff? All the diaper bags are ugly, I have a black diaper backpack that's plain but I'm looking for something a little more interesting.

It has to be big enough to hold diapers, change of clothes, wipes, snacks, toys, iPad, etc. I was thinking the large Kapital snufkin bag. Any suggestions?

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you with young kids, what do you use to carry around the baby/kids stuff? All the diaper bags are ugly, I have a black diaper backpack that's plain but I'm looking for something a little more interesting.

It has to be big enough to hold diapers, change of clothes, wipes, snacks, toys, iPad, etc. I was thinking the large Kapital snufkin bag. Any suggestions?
I used a Snufkin a few years back and it worked OK. It's basically a big sack, so you feel hard objects, but it works alright as long as you separate items in their own zip-lock bags.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used a Snufkin a few years back and it worked OK. It's basically a big sack, so you feel hard objects, but it works alright as long as you separate items in their own zip-lock bags.

Thanks.

Did you get rid of it because it was uncomfortable or impractical? Or did you just have no need for it? It doesn't really sound like you'd recommend it.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When it comes to kid bags you can get whatever you want. I’d just look for something with a few different compartments, and a wide, comfortable shoulder strap. And then get some wet bags to fit inside it for dirty clothes/bibs etc.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Did you get rid of it because it was uncomfortable or impractical? Or did you just have no need for it? It doesn't really sound like you'd recommend it.
It’s a dope bag and I still use it as a day bag when I travel, but my daughter grew up and thankfully she doesn’t need as much emergency supplies these days.

I think it can definitely work as long as you have a steady supply of plastic bags for wet stuff etc. I think the Snufkin wins on style points but wouldn’t be the most practical IMO.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think first you should decide on style, unless you don't care about that.

You're jumping between workwear, heritage, and technical pieces. If it's all the same to you, definitely go with what you want to support more. However, I might recommend that you explore where you want to take your wardrobe. Not that you can't wear a barbour with anything, but it's a different animal from a waterproof technical rain jacket.
Good point.

gr8man

Reaction score
Thought on this linen Kapital shirt, any other suggestion will be appreciate!

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 1.30.47 PM.jpg

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought on this linen Kapital shirt, any other suggestion will be appreciate!

View attachment 1586457

I like it, but I am a big Kapital fan. I think @dieworkwear has that shirt so maybe he can say something about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads