• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. Almost bought a Liddesdale too, it's a staple of most countrywear/hunting-adjacent heritagey brands (but generally lacking the distinctive raglan sleeve detail), old Burberry is a good bet for woolen ones too. I vaguely looked at various French countrywear brands since the maker is likely making for some other clients but no dice.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually emailed them about that a while back, after this season's cancelation of those items, and they confirmed it should be coming in both jacket and vest formats. Unfortunately not in that fantastic taupe color, although the fabric they've chosen in place of that is also nice.

do me a favor and email Ulrich. He said they might do the taupe wadded jacket as well as the stone. So if there’s more than just me that’s interested it might increase our odds.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep or return? I like the fit in the body but the shoulders seem a bit narrow, or … maybe not? When I first put it on I thought it would obviously not work but I warmed to it subsequently, I'm just not used to being able to see the shape of my arm so obviously under the sleeve:

IMG_2951.JPG

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A little tough to tell from the photo. Also, are you wearing anything other than a button down shirt underneath the coat? Would you want to layer a SC or sweater?

The tight sleevehead/armhole/upper arm would bother me. But if you love the coat otherwise, you can probably make it work.

The issue may be a little less noticeable if you wear the coat open, but the coat must fit properly when closed or it won’t work IMO.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep or return? I like the fit in the body but the shoulders seem a bit narrow, or … maybe not? When I first put it on I thought it would obviously not work but I warmed to it subsequently, I'm just not used to being able to see the shape of my arm so obviously under the sleeve:

View attachment 1562602
I’d either ask the manufacturer for a lap of the material and have the sleeves/sleeve holes tailored (I did that with 2 Stephan Schneider jackets) they sent me a lap of each fabric for just shipping cost. Or you should size up and sell it

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulder divot!

@oulipien As long as the fit is not constricting and you're ok with how it looks I wouldn't worry too much about it, this is not CM and I think the design of the coat allows for a bit of crookedness anyway.
The issue might be solved through tailoring but I'm not sure it's that easy (or cheap) and probably also dependent on the shoulder and armhole construction of the coat, @Komuga what kind of Schneider jackets were they?

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulder divot!

@oulipien As long as the fit is not constricting and you're ok with how it looks I wouldn't worry too much about it, this is not CM and I think the design of the coat allows for a bit of crookedness anyway.
The issue might be solved through tailoring but I'm not sure it's that easy (or cheap) and probably also dependent on the shoulder and armhole construction of the coat, @Komuga what kind of Schneider jackets were they?
The encyclopedia ones (navy twill and the striped wool one) they sent me a lap of each fabric for 40$

Irish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1614373586654.png

Any opinions on a berry sc? This one is a silk/cashmere. Lighter than a burgundy, but I think it'd work well with with grey/charcoal or navy. Or white if I find the nerve. I'm just not sure how often I'd go for it.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a similar color with a navy windowpane that NMWA offered from Sartoria Cantarelli years ago. Not a staple, but no regrets.

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a camera bag? I have a new Canon 6D and will probably have 4 lenses max. I looked at the Peak Design backpack and shoulder bag, but wondered if other people had advice. I have a Master Piece shoulder bag already that is my everyday bag so this would be something basically exclusively for lugging around the camera and needs to be more functional than stylish
2827CFFF-2623-4546-BF7F-A0B6CF0B9C9A.jpeg
F6ECA8BF-DFD5-44D6-AEBB-1BBC4C5EC153.jpeg

NO MERCY

Reaction score
@#dadcore, maybe look at Inside Line Equipment?
If memory serves they make some camera specific bags, but im sure any of their bags would do fine. I've got the flaptop model and use it for everything.

SimModa

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a camera bag? I have a new Canon 6D and will probably have 4 lenses max. I looked at the Peak Design backpack and shoulder bag, but wondered if other people had advice. I have a Master Piece shoulder bag already that is my everyday bag so this would be something basically exclusively for lugging around the camera and needs to be more functional than stylish View attachment 1563422 View attachment 1563423

I have had a Peak Design 30L for almost 3+ years. It still looks brand new so it has held up extremely well. Design wise one of the best looking bags. It feels uncomfortably heavy, when I put a 70-200, 85, 35, 14, Mavic Pro A7iii, in it. They are some heavy ART and GMaster lenses, so maybe I am expecting a bit much out of the bag, as far as weight distribution. In regards to the ease of use, its ok.. I don't think I've used all the bells and whistles they advertise. I have a feeling Peak Design is like Apple, in the sense that, if you get one product it performs better if you buy others in their 'system'.

I believe they may be a good option if you plan on walking around it with with a lighter load, shorter distances or time periods. It absolutely sucked carrying on hikes with all the gear.

I have a big exam on Monday but if you give more info on your needs, I'll try to post more on it or links to other bag reviews.

Last edited:

notmandatory

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a camera bag? I have a new Canon 6D and will probably have 4 lenses max. I looked at the Peak Design backpack and shoulder bag, but wondered if other people had advice. I have a Master Piece shoulder bag already that is my everyday bag so this would be something basically exclusively for lugging around the camera and needs to be more functional than stylish View attachment 1563422 View attachment 1563423

Maybe something from https://www.dsptch.com/collections/backpacks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics