• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's no surprise, but I don't agree that you have to do the whole Kapital thing in order to make their stuff work. Sure, some stuff, specially from the last few years, is very specific and gimmicky and might be hard to pull off on its own. But they also have lots of stuff that have a lot of Kapital “flavor” but imho is pretty easy to wear with, for example, basic American heritage/workwear.

A couple of examples off the top of my head:

- century denim stuff
- Kakashis:

1649610852027.jpeg
1649610880954.jpeg
1649612576336.jpeg
1649612647488.jpeg

- Jubbahn shirt:
1649610965008.jpeg

- Ghurka pants
1649611019483.jpeg

- Baja samu cardi
1649611102473.jpeg

- Kathmandu shirt
1649611244894.jpeg

- Ring coat:
1649612259877.jpeg

- Drunken stripe chore coat
1649612371764.jpeg

- Boro trucker:
1649612506910.jpeg

etc…

Last edited:

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see you posting a lot of pre 2018 designs there. Those are the ones I consider golden, so I think we fully agree in that sense.

If I had the money back in Japan, I would've bought a boro jacket. I do own ring coats, duke shirts, Kathmandu shirts. I agree those designs will always have a place in my wardrobe. If they went back to that I probably would always dig it.

There are also some things that have popped that are great in the last handful of seasons but I wish they did quality over quantity. They release 100s of things every season it seems

Last edited:

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@peachfuzzmcgee what brands are you into now? I feel like pretty much all brands in the mid tier price range recycle the same ideas in general with maybe a loud print here and there. Maybe there's a couple exceptions like Pentimento or Dashiel Brahman.

For more innovative ideas you kind of have to go to the luxury tier.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@peachfuzzmcgee what brands are you into now? I feel like pretty much all brands in the mid tier price range recycle the same ideas in general with maybe a loud print here and there. Maybe there's a couple exceptions like Pentimento or Dashiel Brahman.

For more innovative ideas you kind of have to go to the luxury tier.

Honestly my tastes are sort of diverging, maybe it's fatigue from living in Japan and seeing one too many bandana patchwork. That goofy light hearted americana for the most part is always going to be Kapital in my mind, but brands like Porter Classic, Auralee, Motiv, Story MFG, Tender Co, Forme D'Expression, and Uma Wang are all drawing me for many different reasons.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's no surprise, but I don't agree that you have to do the whole Kapital thing in order to make their stuff work. Sure, some stuff, specially from the last few years, is very specific and gimmicky and might be hard to pull off on its own. But they also have lots of stuff that have a lot of Kapital “flavor” but imho is pretty easy to wear with, for example, basic American heritage/workwear.

That is exactly what I was saying - there are specific pieces that work in other contexts, and almost all of those you cite would be amongst them –in fact, I have one or two of those pieces, and I've thought about getting at least two of the others in the past....

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On that note, I am thinking of getting the ghurka denim pants and Baja samu cardi above

DA2F500D-AE95-49F6-B09B-85C78B3E63B1.jpeg

K1803LP080_1.jpg

And the oversized band collar Kathmandu shirt in white

1649674437373.jpeg

Should be fun and easy to wear!

Last edited:

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to help you only because I have no idea what you look like but if you can order and return probably try your usual size and a size up to see witch silhouette works best.

It's overall but my kop of tea (get it, nice)

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

norsefanboi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just looks like difference between long legs vs short legs to me. and the short leg probably sized up whereas the long leg might have even sized down. looks at least 2 sizes different

kjb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keith2197