• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I just leave my job???

v.freeman

Reaction score
If you didn't work as a finance major, you would be massively fucked for a job after graduation. Not so much for med school. Different boat, entirely. Anyone that says "it will prepare you for med school" is an idiot. If you don't get in, you're going to be stuck with a ****** liberal arts degree teaching high school biology.

Brosef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
I am not sure what you are implying, but the way I read it you're saying that that my course of study does not require critical thinking, studying, memorizing, etc.,

Life sciences probably require more study than (undergraduate)quantitative majors, so leaving out the comparison to myself, I am sure there are kids in your situation with better grades, working more hours, etc.,

Grades come first, obviously, but a lot can be accomplished by sheer force of will and a lot of caffeine.

I don't like comparing between programs at university because it makes me sound arrogant. I'm not trying to bring down yours, just stating that I believe that mine would require more studying and memorization than yours.

There are certainly students with better grades than mine, I can assure that, but I wouldn't bet on the working hours. Basically no one in my program works. I don't need to neither but I just hate depending on my parents for clothes, expenses, dating, etc. I'd rather be independent when it comes to that.

Brosef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by v.freeman
If you didn't work as a finance major, you would be massively fucked for a job after graduation. Not so much for med school. Different boat, entirely. Anyone that says "it will prepare you for med school" is an idiot. If you don't get in, you're going to be stuck with a ****** liberal arts degree teaching high school biology.

Definitely. I'm just using it for the extra money and the background, I need these experiences to have something to say during the interviews.

Brosef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
Memorization, definitely.

Academic arrogance is nothing new to me really, in fact I'm more assured of how hard you work because of it.

Poster after me brought up a good point - so many kids I know don't have to work out of necessity(you included) , so obviously, quit the job and get that 4.0.

What school?

McGill University.
I basically have one week to decide whether I want to continue with less hours (aiming for 10-12) of leave completely. I think 10-12 is reasonable and help me to stay organized...

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
He said the hardest part of med school is getting in and that's why he put in so much time as an undergrad. He also said that once you're in a top-tier med school, there is little you can do to screw up your career path.

First part of that is true; second part is true unless you turn out to be a colossal fuckup when it finally comes to applied work or something. I'm sure those types are exceedingly rare, especially after having gone that far, but they probably happen.

Brosef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
First part of that is true; second part is true unless you turn out to be a colossal fuckup when it finally comes to applied work or something. I'm sure those types are exceedingly rare, especially after having gone that far, but they probably happen.

The hardest part is to get in imo. I have a friend who fucked up pre-med year (he failed four classes out of five in both semesters) at Universite de Montreal. He claimed he was going through depression, they told him he could re-start his pre-med year the following semester... Also, the exams are P/F so it's very manageable and there is close to no competition once you're in. You're pretty much set for success. I don't know anyone who failed after getting into Med...

I would've loved to do a M.Sc and Ph.D in microbiology but that is unfortunately out of the question due to the extremely bad working conditions, constant stress and pressure, the infinite amount of work you have to put in and the ****** salaries (some post doctoral fellows barely make 45k a year ...).

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brosef - I haven't read all the responses but I would advise you the following:

1. If your GPA is suffering, quit the work. The little extra money is not worth the lower grades, especially if you are looking to get into a top medical school.

2. If the GPA is not suffering, go ahead and work. At your age, you shouldn't be complaining about hard work. You will have ample time to do that 20 years from now.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked 20-40 hours a week and took 1.25x full time course load in the undergrad.

I did ok but i was an idiot. I should have concentrated on school and related affairs. I would have been 10x better. I can't think of any good company or grad school that would prefer a lets say 3.3GPA with 30 hours of work every week to a 3.8GPA with a couple of good summer internships and school leadership experience.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brosef
Oh, and, neurosurgery wouldn't be my thing.
smile.gif
Way too nervous for that. I'd rather go into Psychiatry or Oncology...

Psych or Hem-Onc? Two very different therapeutic specialties. Just curious how you came to this decision.

BP348

Reaction score
I just want to know what kind of part time job pays $16hr?

I know several students who would kill for a part time while going to school job like that.

Valor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348

I know several students who would kill for a part time while going to school job like that.

Pretty sure at my school, washing dishes at the cafeteria paid 15$/hr.

astarte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348

It depends on the area a lot of times. A friend of mine in Boston makes $14 for doing dishes and general cleanup at a restaurant.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
Pretty sure at my school, washing dishes at the cafeteria paid 15$/hr.

I guess it just depends on where you live. Here in South Texas you'ed be lucky to get $7.50 to wash dishes.

Heck, a great job for the kids in school around here is $10hr.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm inclined to tell you to suck it up and quit being a *****, but if you have people who want to help, take advantage. I've been working since I was 13. Since high school I've worked 2 or 3 jobs at a time. No one in my family had ever gone to college, and for damn sure none of my friends went so I really went into it blind and I missed out on a lot. Knowing what I do now, I can say without a doubt that you should focus on school as much as you can. That's what you're there for. If you have to work then you have to work, but do everything you to keep your GPA up and get in some networking

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads