• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I get my Proper Cloth shirt redone, or find a different MTM company?

daxnjan

Reaction score
I've gotten my 2nd dress shirt from Proper Cloth (1 redo), and I'm not too excited about the fit. Their critiques of the original shirt didn't really improve the fit of the redone shirt by that much. Anyone have experience with multiple remakes with Proper Cloth could chime in on how many remakes it took, or if I should look for a new MTM company?

They've been reviewed pretty well from many places, but my shirt doesn't look all that good (as far as fit goes).

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OY!!!
to The defense of propercloth.

you are not an easy fit
but
if this was the first fitting, i would cut him some slack and give him a second chance.

this is the second fitting? a lot was not taken into the fit.
of course, i do not know what the parameters of the company that he works with.

you have very sloping shoulders.
your left shoulder drops off at a steep angle in the back.

the armholes sort of look very high.
the collar looks good

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd look elsewhere, this is not a credible offer for your second shirt.

daxnjan

Reaction score
OY!!!
to The defense of propercloth.

you are not an easy fit
but
if this was the first fitting, i would cut him some slack and give him a second chance.

this is the second fitting? a lot was not taken into the fit.
of course, i do not know what the parameters of the company that he works with.

you have very sloping shoulders.
your left shoulder drops off at a steep angle in the back.

the armholes sort of look very high.
the collar looks good

Yes this is the 2nd fitting. I sent a picture of the first shirt to them, and made changes according to their recommendations. The armholes are their "tailored" fit, which was recommended to take out some of the wrinkling around the upper arm.

Any other changes you would recommend? Any experience with Proper Cloth?

daxnjan

Reaction score
I'd look elsewhere, this is not a credible offer for your second shirt.

Thanks for the input! Think I might try to re-do it one more time, and send as much detail as I can to get the shirt right. If not, then I'll definitely start looking around for other MTM companies

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So no one from propercloth measured you? You just gave them some measurements? And where did you get these measurements?

You are not a candidate for faking it over the internet. Oddly sloping shoulders very slim waist and hips. Long neck. You need to be measured by someone who has measured people for shirts fr several years. And not some sort of cute girl hawking J. Hillburn. I am doing this for over 30 years. And I doubt I would get it perfect on the first fitting.
Ignore GBR.

4frnt

Reaction score
Did you send your measurements or try to measure yourself?

I've had good experiences with PC once I got the fit right (took 1 re-do) and I took measurements of my favorite shirt and made slight alterations from there.

I'd imagine you have 1 decent shirt that fits you pretty well where you can go from there.

If you are in located in NYC, you should just go to their showroom or go get measured from someone locally.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did you send your measurements or try to measure yourself?

I've had good experiences with PC once I got the fit right (took 1 re-do) and I took measurements of my favorite shirt and made slight alterations from there.

I'd imagine you have 1 decent shirt that fits you pretty well where you can go from there.

If you are in located in NYC, you should just go to their showroom or go get measured from someone locally.

You did not look closely at his photos. I doubt the OP has ever had a shirt that fit properly..
and taking measurements would not take into consideration his shoulders.

online MTM shirts can work for someone who is an easier fit.

Getting measured in person is a better way to go

4frnt

Reaction score
^Agree.

I know PC has various options for those with sloping shoulders. Did the OP make variations for this making his measurements online?

daxnjan

Reaction score
You did not look closely at his photos. I doubt the OP has ever had a shirt that fit properly..
and taking measurements would not take into consideration his shoulders.

online MTM shirts can work for someone who is an easier fit.

Getting measured in person is a better way to go

It's like you've known me my whole life! I don't have any dress shirts that I could describe as a "good fit". Too many measurements would have to change, so I decided that taking body measurements would be a better route. I took the measurements with a friend's help, following the Proper Cloth video/instructions for how to take each measurement.

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near NYC. I'll see if there's a way to get measured by a Proper Cloth rep out in Los Angeles.

I did not use any sloping shoulder options, because I honestly didn't know how much "slope" would warrant such an option. I expected Proper Cloth to make the appropriate suggestions (such as sloping shoulders) when I sent them the fit pictures of the first shirt.

I'm gathering more info to make the next remake as accurate as possible, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll update if/when I get a new shirt.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's like you've known me my whole life! I don't have any dress shirts that I could describe as a "good fit". Too many measurements would have to change, so I decided that taking body measurements would be a better route. I took the measurements with a friend's help, following the Proper Cloth video/instructions for how to take each measurement.

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near NYC. I'll see if there's a way to get measured by a Proper Cloth rep out in Los Angeles.

I did not use any sloping shoulder options, because I honestly didn't know how much "slope" would warrant such an option. I expected Proper Cloth to make the appropriate suggestions (such as sloping shoulders) when I sent them the fit pictures of the first shirt.

I'm gathering more info to make the next remake as accurate as possible, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll update if/when I get a new shirt.

go to a real shirtmaker
there are plenty in LA
try
http://www.venicecustomshirts.com/ don't be put off by the non slick website.
tell him Carl IN NYC sent you.

BrittanyPC

Reaction score
Lets make this right for you! We have a perfect fit guarantee and I'm confident we can lock in a great fit for you. It sounds like we are on the right track with adding a sloping shoulder adjustment-- http://propercloth.com/static-pages.php?page=shoulder-slope&overlay=yes

It also looks like the cuffs are also a little loose and we could trim up the top of the sleeves a bit. Please email me directly ([email protected]) with more information about the type of fit you are going for and we'll get this taken care of for you ASAP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads