1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun recommendations/secondhand issues.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by durstgt, Mar 3, 2011.

1. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Noone mentioned the Super Black Eagle...I shot well with that.

I cant shoot doubles for shit with a pump gun. Tried it once when I was deciding what I wanted to buy and shooting whatever I could rent or borrow to get some trigger time...Never again. I found semi auto to be most comfortable.

I think I'm just too much of a spaz to rack the slide and get a good second shot off. I can hit singles all day long, but for me, with a pump shotgun, doubles = major fail.

2. CrackBaby

CrackBaby Well-Known Member

anybody know an affordable current production shotgun that has no trigger disconnect (like winchester model 12) so you can hold down the trigger and keep pumping? "slamfiring"

3. BP348

BP348 Senior member

Ofcourse ur argument is what I have used to justify my 2 Perazzi, 12 Berettas of all types, a benelli, 3 Rugers inc the rare gold label S/S, 4 Winchesters super X-1 and few odds and ends.

Regards.

Which Perazzi models do you have?

I have a Perazzi MX 14 and really like it. I know its more of a beginner Perazzi but it does everything I want it to do. Plus I have the single barrel and the O/U barrel for it. [​IMG]

4. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

Which Perazzi models do you have? I have a Perazzi MX 14 and really like it. I know its more of a beginner Perazzi but it does everything I want it to do. Plus I have the single barrel and the O/U barrel for it. [​IMG]
    2 Perazzi MX-8, one is a SCO grade with custom game scene. I forgot the engravers name but he did an awesome job. Giacomo has stocked it with exceptional wood and 3.5 lbs triggers. Briley did the barrels and titanium chokes. Larry feeland put Isis on them. There is no beginner P gun. Congrats on yours!!! Oh, I have used it for all sorts of hunting too, incl getting muddy in a duck blind. It's easier to clean than a auto. Love the drop out triggers and leaf springs. Regards.

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

anybody know an affordable current production shotgun that has no trigger disconnect (like winchester model 12) so you can hold down the trigger and keep pumping? "slamfiring"
    No, but then again I've never looked. It is probably inhibited on most pumps on purpose -- even the repo Winchester 1897s.
    Jlib, your point is well taken. For someone just starting out a basic semi auto can do it all, esp one with removable rib, adjustable comb and chokes etc. Ofcourse as we will develop tendency to shoot one sport specifically and thus gravitate to a gun set up for trap ( with a high POI and longer bbl for long sighting plane) vs skeet or sporting. Ofcourse ur argument is what I have used to justify my 2 Perazzi, 12 Berettas of all types, a benelli, 3 Rugers inc the rare gold label S/S, 4 Winchesters super X-1 and few odds and ends. Regards.
    Yah, OP's gonna get an all-rounder which will serve him easonably well for all three games, and if he gets seriosu about one, well then its time for mods or a new gun. Gotta find out what he likes best. It's the 12 Berettas that impress me, Shikar -- they make some fabulous O/Us. And the Gold Label -- I played with one at the very last Grand in Vandalia, 2007 I think? ~ H

6. CrackBaby

CrackBaby Well-Known Member

Norinco Winchester 1897 trench gun copies are apparently still able to be slamfired.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Remarkable. Probably for the Cowboy Action shooters. That answers your question then!

8. durstgt

durstgt Active Member

So I've shot a variety of borrowed or rented shotguns over the past 5 years at the range (going 4-6x a year, so not really often). What I know is:

1. I don't want a pump. I can give up all hope of a second shot with a pump
    2. I've done better at all 3 games with o/u than anything else
    3. I like the simplicity (from a maintenance perspective) and aesthetics of an o/u, but that's not a major concern
    4. I want versatility

Having read this thread and spoken with a variety of salesmen, I think the right option is a semi. I got shown a beretta 3901 that seemed pretty good and was under my budget, a used super black eagle, a 391 urika, and a used citori.

Can anyone comment on the 3901? I'm leaning that way (it seems to be the most rational option) but I still kind of want the used citori.

9. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Norinco Winchester 1897 trench gun copies are apparently still able to be slamfired.

I have my great-grandfather's Winchester Model 1897. It is a very early one. He used to take it out into the desert with him in a buckboard when he went prospecting. It is still a serviceable shotgun.

10. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

I have a 3901 that was given free to me with another shotgun I bought. I think it is a 26" bbl but thats about the sighting plane of a 28 to 30" O/U. It's a great gun that I gave to a friend who has used it for over 3 years with no issues. It has multiple chokes, comes in decent black finish that resists corrosion and has a synthetic stock. It's a excellent workhorse beretta that should last you a few decades.
    Its been a while since I handled the gun as my friend seems to like it too much!!!

Regards.

11. durstgt

durstgt Active Member

I think I'm going to go for the 3901. Carter's country has it for 600 with three chokes, which leaves me
    400 to spend on shells and clays. Thanks everyone for the insight and recommendations.