• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping Advice - EU Trip

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Why do you think JM Weston charges such a hefty price of rthese compared to hihg-walled loafers by others like CJ, Carmima, etc. Do you find the quality of leather and construction to be far superior? It looks great, but it is a hefty tag for a pair of loafers. Or is it just prestige? Very keen on trying it out in Paris.
I find this line of discussion ultimately unproductive as no two people have the same means and expectations. It’s like asking why anyone buys bespoke clothing, or expensive cars, or travels first class on planes.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been recommended Paraboot a few times. But, don't see them discussed much on these forums. What has been your exp with their shoes?

I've owned a number of Paraboot shoes and currently have a pair of Michaels in winter rotation. I enjoy them. Each model of Paraboot in my experience fits quite differently. I believe they still have a branded store in Paris. There is a thread for Paraboot here on Styleforum with good advice. They are somewhat heavy and the leather is thick so I had to walk in mine about 15 miles before they were most comfortable. They last forever and they look cool. I know a few stores in the US that have carried them for 20+ years as their casual, stylish shoe.

bullethead

Reaction score
Pretty much what Gus wrote. They make my size and they fit great. Well made. The important thing is, if you’re interested in the brand, is to drop in and get a correct fitting

hysteria

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the JM Weston 180 loafer. I've also owned a lot of CJ, Lobb, EG, etc. The construction, quality of leather and style is superb and cost less than comperable Lobb or EG's. IMO, their look is just more smart/contemporary than CJ which tends to be a bit more traditional although in general great shoes. A huge selling point is that the last of the 180 model fits me perfectly. Of any shoe brand or model, that should be your deciding factor - fit/comfort right out of the box. (How many times have we heard from shoe salesmen, "Oh it will stretch/break-in"?) Buy them while in Paris, get a VAT refund at the airport for a better value. The US dollar is strong so a good time to buy. There is a JM Weston thread here on Styleforum. The 180's tend to run larger. But different models fit differently in Westons. They also sell Westons on Mr Porter so you can compare pricing. The Mister Porter sizing guidelines are spot-on, but note that the sizes listed are UK sizing and not US.

Thank you sir, that's very HELPFUL.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@comrade Was in Paris last week and the Arthur and Fox store on Boulevard Saint-Germain was closed with the windows papered over. It’s August so maybe just closed for vacation but there was no notice posted to this effect. It looked like it had shut down??
That is sad, if true. Not all good things last forever. I still have slacks from them
from the 80s which are superbly well-made. May fit again since I lost weight.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Subscribed. I'm going also to London and Paris in September so it would be good to get some ideas. Although, my trip most likely would not have time for shopping - my girlfriend hates to go shopping, I know, weird I'm the one who likes it and she doesn't - but taking a look or conveniently walking on the streets were these stores are is just a coincidence. :lol:

laureth

Reaction score
Mettez in Paris.

Can also recommend Corner Luxe's different shops. I've got a few St. Dupont lighters from there throughout the years.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Subscribed. I'm going also to London and Paris in September so it would be good to get some ideas. Although, my trip most likely would not have time for shopping - my girlfriend hates to go shopping, I know, weird I'm the one who likes it and she doesn't - but taking a look or conveniently walking on the streets were these stores are is just a coincidence. :lol:

Shoes are always good to try when you have the opportunity to visit the local brands own stores with more size, style options. London, perhaps Edward Green where they will have many color and style options that you won't normally find at other retailers. In Paris JM Weston or Heschung for the same reason. In both cases be sure to get Tax Fee paperwork to get a refund at the airport on your departure.

In general, I would look for UK or French brands that have items that are still made in those countries and have limited retail locations. Skip the big International brands that have shops in every major city around the world.

Treble

Reaction score
For London, Kirby Alisson did some videos showing some of the classic UK brands around Jermyn St. Worth a look at these places even if you are not keen on anything in particular or don't have deep pockets.

Think Permanent Style for Paris (and London archive) as well.

TomTom

Reaction score
I've only seen them on the site. Wanted to try them out. Seems to get a lot of praise.
Their customer service is terrible though - every time I email them, I get a diff ans depending on who's responding about whether the jackets are fushed or half-canvassed lol. Doesn't inspire much confidence.
Hello,

Walker Slater have horrible customer service online but amazing service when you visit them. If you are in London go and visit their Covent Garden Menswear shop (Ladies is a couple of doors up). They have great tweed and other jackets and suits. Quality wise they are the same as Cording's ( half canvased jackets, great overcoats, knitwear) plus they have a more modern fit of jackets (not tight, just so you are not swimming in them). I have clothes from both and visit them for different things, both worth a visit. Also if you are in London stop by Floris on Jermyn Street and Turnbull and Asser just for the tradition and history. My favorite shop in London is Ede and Ravenscroft ,worlds oldest tailor just for the interior and wonderful , classic clothes (all half canvased)

hysteria

Reaction score
Hello,

Walker Slater have horrible customer service online but amazing service when you visit them. If you are in London go and visit their Covent Garden Menswear shop (Ladies is a couple of doors up). They have great tweed and other jackets and suits. Quality wise they are the same as Cording's ( half canvased jackets, great overcoats, knitwear) plus they have a more modern fit of jackets (not tight, just so you are not swimming in them). I have clothes from both and visit them for different things, both worth a visit. Also if you are in London stop by Floris on Jermyn Street and Turnbull and Asser just for the tradition and history. My favorite shop in London is Ede and Ravenscroft ,worlds oldest tailor just for the interior and wonderful , classic clothes (all half canvased)

Thanks for the recommendations.
I was turned off from Walker Slater for a while bc their customer service is some of the worst I've seen.
I think I must've emailed them on 4 diff ocassions about the exact same jacket to figure out what kind of canvassing was used, and one of them said it was half-canvassed, and then followed up with "sorry, it's actually fused". Another didn't respond. Another 2 said half-canvassed LOL. I gave up after that atrocity. but I"ll give them a try in stores and hopefully they know what they're selling a bit better.

I wonder how their quality compares to the likes of Pini or SM, even though the styles are different.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re shoes: Not British, Austrian, Ludwig Reiter has a shop in London.
Price point around the same a C & J. Also, nearly is JM Weston, but
you can visit them in Paris.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always been intrigued by their loafers. They charge a pretty penny for it, so I'm keen on seeing what's so special about it. I find a lot of ppl avoid JM Weston, so not much feedback about long-term wear.
I spent some time in their NYC store a few years ago and just couldn’t get any loafers to fit. I have narrow heels apparently and most just pop off when I walk. Also, they were very pricey.

Went to C&J and discovered their 376 Last, originally made for Japanese market, fit perfectly. Started buy Harvard 2 and Grantham 2 now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads