• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for fat feet?

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have strangely proportioned feet. My toes 'spread' - such that the front end of my feet is quite a bit wide than my heel. Because of this, I can rarely fit into nice shoes, especially wingtips which are narrow at the end. Either they hurt like hell, or there's enough space at the end to stuff a pair of socks into, and my feet wind up looking like Ronald McDonald's. Short of getting bespoke shoes (pretty much out of the question at the moment) what else do you guys suggest?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
I have strangely proportioned feet. My toes 'spread' - such that the front end of my feet is quite a bit wide than my heel. Because of this, I can rarely fit into nice shoes, especially wingtips which are narrow at the end. Either they hurt like hell, or there's enough space at the end to stuff a pair of socks into, and my feet wind up looking like Ronald McDonald's. Short of getting bespoke shoes (pretty much out of the question at the moment) what else do you guys suggest?

Can't you just buy shoes in a wider width?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sometimes by the time you get the right width there's so much excess toe space that it looks and feels ridiculous.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ what he said. especially wingtips which are narrower to begin with...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that it really entails trying on a lot of shoes, particularly in wider fittings.
I have quite wide feet, with a high instep, and so I've discovered that quite a few desirable brands just do not fit me - much to my chagrin!
However, my feet are not nearly as wide as one of my friends, and he has great difficulty finding nice shoes. Surprisingly, some (Australian) Florsheim models fit him, but he has no chance whatsoever of getting a balmoral-style shoe to fit - he must wear bluchers or, occasionally, a wide loafer/slip-on.
A lot of his shoes are quite clunky and unattractive, simply because those styles are the most comfortable for his unusually wide feet.
Unfortunately, those of us with differently-sized feet are faced with dramatically-reduced choices over those who have slimmer feet with lower insteps...

maf

Reaction score
My feet are really wide across the ball, but narrow in the heel. Not sure if this is the same as yours, but here's what happens with me. Usually D's or a regular width fit great in the heel and too narrow across the ball. E, EE or whatever they are calling a wider width is very sloppy in the heel, and possibly also in the toe box.

2 things have helped me a lot: shoe stretchers and Superfeet inserts. I can buy normal widths and just stretch them out over a couple of days and they're as comfortable as if I'd had them for a year already. The stretching only works across the ball & vamp areas. I'm almost certain you can't do much to the actual toe box without wrecking the shoe.

Also, I use inserts. My boot fitter recommended these to me and they make a world of difference. I usually size up 1/2 a size, stretch the front part of the shoe, and pop the insert in (I use the black ones, since my feet are pretty flat & they are the lowest profile for dress shoes etc). The insert tightens up the heel fit, adds some cushion to leather soles, and can be trimmed up if you need the extra space toward the front of the shoe.

Sounds involved, but it's not that big a deal. If you have a boot fitter nearby, he can probably do all of this for you. I'm guessing they aren't all that common though.

Good luck!

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have what I believe to be wide feet, as many shoes hurt my feet, especially the wee toe. My experience is that it can be difficult to guess how a shoe will fit you just by looking at it. I have a pair of Ferragamos (the Studio line) (EE width) which looks quite slim but actually fits me very well (yes, I know, poor construction but they look nice and are comfortable and when I bought them I had no clue that there was something called Tramezza...).
On the other hand, the other day I had a frustrating experience in what I believe to be the only shop in town that sells C&J: a tried on a beautiful pair of brown double monks that looked very nice and comfortable, but the pair that had the right length really made my feet hurt; just too narrow. And it was only available in the E width.
I spend a lot of time trying on shoes before buying them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads