• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe questions

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it was unfair that you were charged an additional 20% for a stock shoe that they did not have in the store. You mentioned that you did not do any modification, so there should have been no charge. Contact the main Weston office in the U.S or France and file a complaint.
mad.gif
That's not what I meant at all. I paid normal retail price for the shoes. All I meant is that is that if I had put in a special order, it would have been a waste of money due to my ignorance of the possibilities available.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jcusey:
Quote (T4phage @ 01 Feb. 2004, 11:23)
I think it was unfair that you were charged an additional 20% for a stock shoe that they did not have in the store. You mentioned that you did not do any modification, so there should have been no charge. Contact the main Weston office in the U.S or France and file a complaint.

That's not what I meant at all. I paid normal retail price for the shoes. All I meant is that is that if I had put in a special order, it would have been a waste of money due to my ignorance of the possibilities available.

Oh, okay. Myriad possibilities for customisation for Westons. My Weston special orders: a demi-chasse done in brown kidskin, my Perry's are done in med. brown kidskin (plus metal tip), croco signature loafers in brown croco. Thinking about the Perry chelsea boots in brown boxcalf with ridgeway soles.

Most of the time the added cost is about 20% extra except for the more exotic skins.

jrh

Reaction score
For what it is worth:

When I first bought shoes at JM Weston (15 years ago), when the NY store was on 57th Street the customer service was very good and accommadating. Shoe strings and wax were gatice. They even through in shoe trees once or twice. They offered to change heal inserts on ready made shoes from steel to rubber and place steel inserts in the sole tips without charge

The guys in the store changed shortly after they moved to Madison Avenue. I bought two pairs of shoes (one being the Hunt Derby) about two years ago. An attitude change had taken place in the store. They were not very accomadating and nickle and dimed me for laces. I am a big fan of JMW shoes, but franky their arrogant attitude is getting in the way.

In contrast Edward Green sends extra laces, heals, and wax without charge to me. It seems EG has a Can I Serve You approach without bleeding the customer.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
The guys in the store changed shortly after they moved to Madison Avenue. I bought two pairs of shoes (one being the Hunt Derby) about two years ago. An attitude change had taken place in the store. They were not very accomadating and nickle and dimed me for laces. I am a big fan of JMW shoes, but franky their arrogant attitude is getting in the way.
I can't comment on how the service used to be in the NYC store since I've been going there for less than a year, but I can say that they were definitely not arrogant. They were actually polite to the point of obsequiousness, offering coffee/water at every trip, and spent a lot of time trying several different sizes to get the best fit. They were equally accomodating when I went to exchange a pair I decided I didn't like.

Having said that, I did get the impression that they were trying too hard to sell multiple pairs, which wasn't enjoyable. I also didn't ask or expect any extras, but I can see where if you're used to that level of service, anything else would be inadmissible.

Cpal

Reaction score
What's the general price range for Westons? My general assumption is that they are a little pricier than E. Greens - is that accurate? If so, what is the "value added" in your opinions? [I guess general style would be a factor but I was under the impression also that there is more handwork done on the Weston?]

Thanks.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
What's the general price range for Westons?
$300 - $1350 for in-stock items. (slightly cheaper than EGs I believe)
20% extra for special orders (your choice of leather and maybe other minor modifications)

I don't own any EGs so I'll let others answer this.

Cpal

Reaction score
Thanks - also, anyone know the Cleverley price ranges?  Standard sizes, special/bespoke?

[I continue to be impressed as no matter what the topic, somebody on here seems to know the answer.]

Thanks again.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's the general price range for Westons? My general assumption is that they are a little pricier than E. Greens - is that accurate? If so, what is the "value added" in your opinions? [I guess general style would be a factor but I was under the impression also that there is more handwork done on the Weston?]
The 180 signature loafers retail for around $450, the 598 and 637 demi-chasse bluchers retail around $600, and the Hunt shoe retails for $1350. I get the idea that most of the calfskin shoes retail for between $600 and $700, but I'm not entirely sure. That makes them slightly less expensive than Edward Green.

The Hunt shoe is hand-welted and has extensive hand stitching on the upper. I think that most of the other shoes are mostly machine-done, as are Edward Green shoes (with the exception of the upper stitching on the split-toe models).

Edward Green shoes have a completely different look and feel from JM Weston shoes, although both are excellent in their own way. EG shoes are more traditional, sleeker, and have a distinctive antique finish. JM Weston are, generally speaking, larger in scale.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks - also, anyone know the Cleverley price ranges? Standard sizes, special/bespoke?
I don't know the price ranges for Cleverley RTW, but the bespoke shoes start at £1350 ex VAT.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cpal:
Thanks - also, anyone know the Cleverley price ranges? Â Standard sizes, special/bespoke?
My one RTW Cleverley cost £ 470 (I asked for a different colour which added some costs), while my bespokes cost an average of £1800 including tax. Originally posted by jcusey:
Edward Green shoes have a completely different look and feel from JM Weston shoes, although both are excellent in their own way. EG shoes are more traditional, sleeker, and have a distinctive antique finish. JM Weston are, generally speaking, larger in scale.
Except of course for the Perry designs like jcusey's
smile.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally posted by jcusey:
Quote:
Except of course for the Perry designs like jcusey's
smile.gif
Maybe sleek wasn't the right word. Edward Green shoes look staid and so very, well, English. Perry shoes are indeed sleek, but you'd never say that they look English. Of course, they're not, so maybe the idea of terroir doesn't apply only to wine.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice shoes.
The Norwegian colony in Texas seem to be doing pretty well. It's all so "I remember Mama" clean.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
I just had to resurrect this 7 year old thread folks.

With all this talk of the possibility of SF going downhill
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=225229

- and all these infant threads about Aldo, Kenneth Cole etc It's important for new members like me to pay tribute to this great forum which like the coveted brands discussed here daily has a rich history.

Thanks SF

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads