• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe maker lasts for wide feet.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Apparently I have wide feet; I'm sure many others do as well.

In this thread, we list the makers and their lasts that work best for wide feet. As we all know, there are shoes we love that simply don't fit our feet well because of the narrow last. Vass U last is notorious for this, I think (please correct me if I am mistaken).

I'll start: the Crockett and Jones 325 last works great for my feet.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds.

added-
Alden Barrie last.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i tihnk most makers will have wide fittings it is just a case of what the stores order in, apart from that MTO will be you best option

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about wide feet in general where both the heel and toes are wider than normal? Or a feet with wider toes and a normal heel? Because the second is what I have, probably from a lifetime of living in Hawaii and wearing thongs.

If the second, disagree about AE, I have heel slip whenever I get an E and the toe box is still slightly narrow (I have them stretch it). But they're so cheap...

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to talk about you like a dog there Moo, but outside of making conversation, what does it matter. That is, unless we're talking about buying shoes w/o trying them on first.

For a while I thought that I had a bit wider than normal foot, but after having worn lots of different shoes from many different makers, I'd be hard pressed to say that one is definitely more suited to a wider foot than another. Yeah, sure, a 10AAA probably won't fit someone who usually wears a 10D; but to say that a particular last fits wider feet better is a bit overgeneralizing IMO.

There's no substitute in trying on the shoes. And at that point who cares what message board thread said last x-y-z fits wide feet better/worse?

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not Moo, but being in the sartorial wasteland of Phoenix, mail ordering English shoes is always going to be the only way I can get some of the nice footwear shown on SF. And even if a B&M carries a line, they most certainly don't have it in my foot size.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got wide - 3E - feet and this has always been a challenge.

Here's what i have found:

C&J 337, 325, and 240 lasts are all pretty roomy, but you have to go against traditional Forum wisdom in the UK/US size conversion - just drop 1/2 a size rather than a full. Makes a big difference.

Loake G fittings are very comfy - go for the 1880 line

AE is a mixed bag depending upon the last. I have found that I often have to go down a full size in their 3Es. I also find most of their styles pretty grim, but there are a few classics (Mora's etc.) that work for me

Sargent's widths are deceiving - they run wider than stated for typical EU shoes. I think - but am not sure - that this may be true of Trickers as well.

Brooks C&J Peals in an E width, depending upon last, can work well and you can find them on sale.

FWIW, here is a link to a good mix of wide UK shoes from various mfrs:

http://www.brogueshoes.co.uk/Wide-Fitting-Shoes.html

And, last but not least, buy a good, professional shoe stretcher. Yes your cobbler can do it as well, but I have found this rig to be invaluable as I have one foot that's wider than the other (broken multiple times windsurfing over the years). You can get almost a full width extra over time or just use it to eliminate a hot spot in a shoe that otherwise fits well.

Hope this helps...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads