• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Fit Thread

LeicaLad

Reaction score
Skalogre,

Your posts are influential to me, for multiple reasons. One, I like your taste in footwear, and, two, we're about the same size. I've paid particular attention to your RM Williams experience (both style and sizing choice), and I order a pair of Grenson Ilkley's, rather than the Tricker's I was lusting for, following your various posts on them.

I'm generally a US10.5 D-to-E. I ordered the Grensons in a 10UK. First, they took forever to reach me (I rely on the APO mail system which lumbers). When they arrived, they were clearly too big. Pediwear was very kind to do a cross posting, but I'm still waiting to receive the 9.5 pair. (My original order was in early January. ...sigh.)

Anyway, given that you're mainly a 10.5, but find AE's in 10 to work well, I'm wondering how you're feeling about your Ilkley's in size 10UK now? After wearing a while, how are you liking them? Have the new RMW's relegated them to the back of your closet? Any other comments also welcomed.

Thanks!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeicaLad
Skalogre, Your posts are influential to me, for multiple reasons. One, I like your taste in footwear, and, two, we’re about the same size. I’ve paid particular attention to your RM Williams experience (both style and sizing choice), and I order a pair of Grenson Ilkley’s, rather than the Tricker’s I was lusting for, following your various posts on them. I’m generally a US10.5 D-to-E. I ordered the Grensons in a 10UK. First, they took forever to reach me (I rely on the APO mail system which lumbers). When they arrived, they were clearly too big. Pediwear was very kind to do a cross posting, but I’m still waiting to receive the 9.5 pair. (My original order was in early January. ...sigh.) Anyway, given that you’re mainly a 10.5, but find AE’s in 10 to work well, I’m wondering how you’re feeling about your Ilkley’s in size 10UK now? After wearing a while, how are you liking them? Have the new RMW’s relegated them to the back of your closet? Any other comments also welcomed. Thanks!
Nope, still wear them and still love them. They are still a bit loose but I wear thicker socks and it does not bother me. Plus I have walked several miles before in them with no problems (no blister, no rash, nothing). In hindsight I should have tried a 9.5 but still, they are good boots
smile.gif
Problem is that Pediwear also recommended that size to me using the CT/Loake chukkas I had which were sort of oversized. So it was my fault in the end
blush.gif
Plus I am reconsidering my 10.5 US status - I am getting more in to snug fitting shoes so it is starting to feel better that way. The only REAL issue I have with them is the fact that as my apartment block is lined with gravel, the commando sole picks up gravel - a lot.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wondered where this thread went. It's a great idea. I hope more people participate. It will help with purchasing shoes when you can't actually try them on. I don't have much to contribute but here goes:

Allen Edmonds Fairfax US 9D
Mantellassi Chukkas US 9D
RM Williams Craftsman Aus 8.5G

Samba US 9.5
Stan Smith US 9.5
Chuck Taylor US 9

LeicaLad

Reaction score
Skalogre,

Thanks for the feedback. I almost kept my Grensons, but decided I already have two pair of shoes that are too big (Tricker Keswicks in 10.5 and an Alden work boot in 10.5 on the CDI last, which weren't even what I thought I'd bought). From where I am, you normally have to just grin and bear it. But, with the Grenson Ilkleys, I decided I wanted a pair that fit right, so I sent them back. Given the time delay, I could have special ordered practically anything!

I'm hoping some of the guys ordering the new RMW forum special post their experience with sizing, either here or back in the RMW thread. I'm thinking really hard about a jodhpur version of the forum special. The elastic sides have just never appealed to me. Sizing, will continue to be a bit of a crap shoot, figuring out the US/Pom/Aus cross-over.

Thanks, again, for your careful descriptions. You've been very helpful.

And, Thanks to everyone else, too. This thread is very useful.

LeicaLad

Reaction score
Hmm. Nice to see this bumped. Thanks, Kronik.

I need to write up a bit on a new pair of Red Wing 1911s I'm currently breaking in. I'll do that later in the week.

I can provide an update on those Grenson Ilkley boots. I did receive the 9.5 in a cross-post return of my size UK10. (Strong recommendations for Pediwear, BTW.) I can say that the UK 9.5 fit perfectly. They still have room for low-volume inserts. The supplied leather insole is nice, but I added a pair of Spenco greens just to add a bit of cushion and to protect those lovely looking leathers. These are a fabulous boot, and very comfortable for serious clomping. The leather is fantastic and construction quality perfect. The commando boot definitely make these a country boot, but that's perfect for where I am.

I've posted the following before, but it's a fun shot of my lovely Grenson's hanging out of a Huey chopper over the Afghan-Pakistan border.

GrensonsOverDir.jpg

This shot is a bit tighter. The bright light makes them look a bit lighter in color than they normally appear. The above photo is closer to what they appear in most lighting.
GrensonsOverBajaur.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thread resurrection warning!

Seeing how there has been some recent discussion over these recently, an extra data point...

Clarks Desert Boots: size 10 (US). Pretty good fit. Not sure if I could have gone down to 9.5, they may have been too snug. But they work ok with thin/dress socks and very well with slightly thicker socks.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since you already zombied this here are my data points:

UK market shoes:

Paul Smith 8.5 and 9 UK, 2 different pair
Edward Green 9 UK
Grenson 9.5/10 UK <-found very strange sizing here
Tricker's 9 UK, possibly might try 8.5 if I could
Tyrwhitt (by Loake) 9 UK
Cheaney 9 UK
Lobb 9 UK (just tried on)
R.M. Williams Craftsman 8G (I tried these in the store, didn't experiment with the "size up and narrow" like the RM williams thread describes)

US market:

BB Peal 9.5 US
Florsheim Vintage 9.5 US
Johnston & Murphy Vintage 9.5 US
Bally 10.5 US
Alden 9.5 B/D (standard width) I just got my first pair of Aldens and they fit absolutely perfect.
Polo Made in England 9.5
Borgioli 9.5 (might try 9 but 9.5 are fine)

Sneakers:
Nike sneakers (I've tried on literally almost all of them), mostly 10.5, some 11 US
Adidas sneakers, about evenly split between 10.5 and 11 US, some even 11.5. Retroes seems to run smaller more often

I can say I've never worn an 8, and also never worn a 12. But I've fit in everything from 8.5 to 11.5. The sad state of shoe sizing.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
since you already zombied this here are my data points: ......
You seem to be quite close to me in size. What Grenson were those, boots or shoes?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Grensons were both shoes. 9.5 was a snug fit and I would have preferred larger.

Also, both of these just looked tiny for some reason. The exterior length was noticeably shorter than my other shoes in the same size

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And another update:
R.M. Williams Craftsman, 9G (Australian), yearling. Surprisingly it does not feel as snug as the kangaroo-leather Stockman, but at the same time it is not as loose at ankles as the Stockman. I'd blame my spindly ankles for that. Very comfortable.

Stacy Adams Madison 00015 in size/width 10 D color Brown kidskin. Bought these because they were cheap and looked pretty decent unlike the vast majority of S.A. pimpwear. Fit is excellent. Comfortably snug, even at the ankles.

whedda

Reaction score
These are my everyday shoes and sizes.

Crockett&Jones - Lowndes (348) - UK8/EU42 - Perfect fit!

Loding - Milan - UK7.5/EU41.5 - Snugg but good fit.

Loake 1880 - Knightsbridge - UK8/EU42 - okey fit, almost a bit big.

N.D.C made by hand - EU42 - A bit long and snugg.

Can anyone help me with the sizes of Bexley? If you own or have tried on a pair and can compare it to any of my modells I might know if there big or small i sizes.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There was a website somebody started last year or so where they basically did what this thread does, but compiled all the data for you. I can't remember what it's called now. Anyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads