• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Church's shoes from Yoox have arrived, but it was not the "Lancaster", but apparantly a model called "Auckland". They look almost like the "Lancaster", and the color is "Walnut", but they must be out of production now, so they have probably been in the box for some time. Does anybody know this model, and know when it was produced? It is not corrected grain or polished binder, but there seems to be a weakness on the side of one of the shoes where the leather wrinkles, so I'm not sure I will keep them. The tongue is also partly stitched to the side of the shoe, and I'm not sure I like that, but that could just be removed I guess. Does anyone have experience with this? I will probably post pictures tomorrow.

If you like them, keep them. If not, they DID send you the wrong shoes, so just return. Not sure what you mean by "a weakness on the side of one of the shoes where the leather wrinkles", but it isn't uncommon to partly stitch the tongue to the upper. This keeps it from sliding down as you insert your foot. Why would you remove it, as I can't imagine a downside to its being there?

SHS

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. They didn't actually write that it was the Lancaster, that was just what I thought myself. The shoe does look exactly like the Lancaster, but the box says it is an Auckland. I have not been able to find a picture of an Auckland at all though. Perhaps they have written it by mistake, but who knows. I am not used to the tongue being stitched, but I gather that it is not a problem. I will post pictures tomorrow if I have the time. I have put trees in them so the wrinkles will get evened out a little I hope.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Church's made a tons of different models before the Prada disgrace.
It's almost impossible to schedule every model they produced.
In what last are they made?

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Holy Grail of US Vintage Shoes (really)...
1940's NOS Edwin Clapp Flying Wing Spade Soled Oxford Wingtips.
100% Handmade elegance.
(I can't believe they are a HUGE size 13d! What a rare size for Vintage US Shoes, where most are too small for the modern foot to wear)

Just my size...

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
SHS: if they've been in the box a long time (or you think they might), it's worth giving them a couple of days' attention: first day, a good brushing for scaly old polish, and a renovator. Leave it on for 24 hours. Then wipe it off, polish but don't buff and leave another 24, then shine them up again. Allowing all that to work into the leather will give you a great shine, but also allow the leather to be supple and respond more easily to the trees and remove any wrinkles. If you have't got any renovator, just a good coat of polish after a stiff brushing and leave it overnight, will still help.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for your reply. They didn't actually write that it was the Lancaster, that was just what I thought myself. The shoe does look exactly like the Lancaster, but the box says it is an Auckland. I have not been able to find a picture of an Auckland at all though. Perhaps they have written it by mistake, but who knows. I am not used to the tongue being stitched, but I gather that it is not a problem. I will post pictures tomorrow if I have the time. I have put trees in them so the wrinkles will get evened out a little I hope.

trees + regular conditioner for a week or 2 will help shape them.

SHS

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments.

Church's made a tons of different models before the Prada disgrace.
It's almost impossible to schedule every model they produced.
In what last are they made?

The last is the 73. I understand that the current last for the Lancaster model is 173. It would be an unexpected bonus if the shoes were pre-prada. It's very strange with the Auckland name on the box and inside the shoe. I have tried to write to Church's, so perhaps they can come up with an answer.

SHS: if they've been in the box a long time (or you think they might), it's worth giving them a couple of days' attention: first day, a good brushing for scaly old polish, and a renovator.  Leave it on for 24 hours.  Then wipe it off, polish but don't buff and leave another 24, then shine them up again.  Allowing all that to work into the leather will give you a great shine, but also allow the leather to be supple and respond more easily to the trees and remove any wrinkles.  If you have't got any renovator, just a good coat of polish after a stiff brushing and leave it overnight, will still help.

trees + regular conditioner for a week or 2 will help shape them.

Thank you both. Yes, I have some renovateur I will apply severel times before wearing, especially because they can have been lying in the box for long. I must say the leather smells, feels and looks OK though. They don't look very dry, but they seem quite stiff and hard.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last 73 was replaced (more than 10 years ago) by the last 100 then replaced by the 173.
Post pictures also of the box.
Church's used to be "The" English Shoemaker, very sad what's going on now...

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments.
The last is the 73. I understand that the current last for the Lancaster model is 173. It would be an unexpected bonus if the shoes were pre-prada. It's very strange with the Auckland name on the box and inside the shoe. I have tried to write to Church's, so perhaps they can come up with an answer.
The last plain black cap toe on the 73 was (confusingly, I suppose) called the "Balmoral" as far as I know. I wonder if it was a different name for a different market? I think that was rather more common back in the early days of/prior to, widespread e-retail. Now having more than one name for a product would be confusing, but it's not that long ago that even individual large buyers would choose their own names sometimes, as well as country or region-specific ones. Will be interested to hear the proper story.
The last 73 was replaced (more than 10 years ago) by the last 100 then replaced by the 173.

Of course the idea of Prada taking over Church's grates. And some of their more "fashion-orientated" offerings e.g. those distressed leather horrors, are simply vile. But when people refer to "what's going on now", as you put it, there seems to be a suggestion of a more fundamental change than some tacky sidelines. Any Northampton insiders with a dispassionate account? I have one pair (single monk, Becket, black calf) on the 173, and frankly the leather is lovely, the styling is classic, and I'm very attached to them. What, apart from the very idea of Prada ownership, seems to be the problem?

Last edited:

SHS

Reaction score

I have seen that Herring are offering some discontinued models on the 73 last:
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-list.php?brandid=4#d38
How does that last compare to the current 173?
For me it is one of the best looking lasts I have seen, perhaps only second to some (or one) EG last(s).

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Georg Maternas- Thanks for the help Gerd!

IMG_5490_zpsa009a240.jpg

IMG_5492_zps8eb527cc.jpg

IMG_5493_zps752252fa.jpg

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of course the idea of Prada taking over Church's grates.  And some of their more "fashion-orientated" offerings e.g. those distressed leather horrors, are simply vile.  But when people refer to "what's going on now", as you put it, there seems to be a suggestion of a more fundamental change than some tacky sidelines.  Any Northampton insiders with a dispassionate account?  I have one pair (single monk, Becket, black calf) on the 173, and frankly the leather is lovely, the styling is classic, and I'm very attached to them.  What, apart from the very idea of Prada ownership, seems to be the problem?

Yes, you are correct but today only a small amount of production is consistent with their past.
If you take a 90's catalogue and compare the actual offer and approach you couldn't be really sad.
I don't have anything against Prada itself, only their purpose to make Church's a "fashion oriented" profitable brand year after year.

Last edited:

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Church's shoes from Yoox have arrived, but it was not the "Lancaster", but apparantly a model called "Auckland". They look almost like the "Lancaster", and the color is "Walnut", but they must be out of production now, so they have probably been in the box for some time. Does anybody know this model, and know when it was produced? It is not corrected grain or polished binder, but there seems to be a weakness on the side of one of the shoes where the leather wrinkles, so I'm not sure I will keep them. The tongue is also partly stitched to the side of the shoe, and I'm not sure I like that, but that could just be removed I guess. Does anyone have experience with this? I will probably post pictures tomorrow.

A few months ago I bought a pair of monks by Church's from Yoox, they were NOS made from Cape Buck on the 73 last. Pretty sure Church's doesn't use Cape Buck anymore. Overall it was a great purchase, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads