• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hope not, he's tres cool, and I love the vintage spectators he puts up.

+1

When you want to soar like an eagle....

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Isshn,
When I saw the monks, I was put in mind of a story that I was told (perhaps apocryphal) many years ago--Somewhere in time and space, when a shoemaker had finished his apprenticeship, he had to pass a test to become a journeyman. He had to make a pair of "Pope's shoes" that were finer and lighter weight than his master could make.
Kind of puts things in perspective.
Bzzzt! Seven more years.

DW, you means this

and this?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a brand new pair of Gaziano & Girlings in my office, but Im not posting pics until everyone shakes hands and plays nice.

This is seriously not a good enough bait. You need to send them a pair of G&G each, but I guess at that point, you'd rather see them fight.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fishball,

Lovely! Something along those lines, certainly...although to the extent that there is any truth in the story, I suspect that the shoes the apprentice had to make were not literally shoes for the Pope--merely lightweight, refined, and very well made.

Thanks for posting those.

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

He had to make a pair of "Pope's shoes" that were finer and lighter weight than his master could make.
Kind of puts things in perspective.

Adriano Stefanelli from Novara (near Milan) is currently the official shoemaker of the Pope:

http://www.adriano-stefanelli.it/en/index.php

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

All the Pope's shoes appear to be variations on slippers (pumps).
For all we know, they might not even be 'pump-stitched' but cemented (glued).

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Adriano Stefanelli from Novara (near Milan) is currently the official shoemaker of the Pope:

More than likely cemented. The video freezes at about 3 minutes on my computer but just before that we see the shoes being lasted...over what looks to be a fiberboard heelseat.

But the story I was told goes back many years...maybe even into the 19th century...when an apprenticeship in shoemaking was seven years. Then too, no one ever suggested to me that the shoes in the story were actually being made for the Pope...it was a metaphor.

:tounge:

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fritzl,
I am an inspiration for many - some for good and some for evil. :D

well, time for me to get rid of this rude mf...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a brand new pair of Gaziano & Girlings in my office, but Im not posting pics until everyone shakes hands and plays nice.

sorry, not possible.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see Tibor's death threat has started a trend...

paranoid.jpg

BUT SERIOUSLY, I've taken Spoo's advice. I'm ready to kiss and make up (but no tongues!)

de842f0d8ae55d51df0196b778612de9_friend17100407054945.gif

SERIOUSLY, SERIOUSLY, life's too short. We should all move on.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.adriano-stefanelli.it/en/index.php
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

He is one of many shoemakers who makes shoes for the pope, but he is not his official shoemaker. In fact, the pope has no official shoemaker as the shoes are donated to him (and have been to his predecessor) during the General Audiences. There are many firms who claim to be the pope's shoemaker only because they sent him a pair of shoes once which wasn't sent back (Salvatore Ferragamo is one of the more famous of these). There are, however, (very, very) detailed specifications for shoes to be given to the pope for actual use. One is a low vamp, leather soled shoe, the other one has a high vamp, elastic inlays and a rubber sole. Both of these are loafers and can come in black, red and white. There is also a third shape for domestic use, which is always red. The only shoes for use by the pope (well, kind of) which are actually ordered by the Vatican are made by Gammarelli (or by a contract shoemaker or firm for Gammarelli). These are the shoes a newly elected pope puts on before his first appearance to the public. They are — guess what — black/red loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads