• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Comparison w/ Poll -- Action Shots!

stephen

Reaction score
I have a tough time picking out shoes. Everyone says that "shoes are the most important part of an outfit" and that "you can tell how stylish someone is by their shoes". Yet, it seems to me that 95% of men's shoes follow a few basic patterns. I've taken some photos of the 6 pairs of black shoes that I own. (Semi-dressy.)

I know that they could all use a good polishing, and that there are different types of outfits each would go with... But what's your overall opinion? Which ones should I push to the back of my closet? Which ones are stylish? Do I need to go buy a new pair? Thanks for the suggestions!

Pair A:

4p4genq.jpg

4yjde8z.jpg

Pair B:

5ysnmme.jpg

4vplchw.jpg

Pair C:

62f09z7.jpg

5xe8g88.jpg

Pair D:

5416geb.jpg

4keh9c9.jpg

Pair E:

4rbi2ap.jpg

4pv7qc2.jpg

Pair F:

5x9702u.jpg

67qus82.jpg

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Throw B, C, D, and either E or F away. If you can find a reason to wear black loafers casually, then save the other of E or F. Otherwise throw that one away too. I kind of like A, but you'll want to think about upgrading really soon if you spend much time on the site.

Sorry to be harsh...welcome to the board!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tentatively A as far as the options you have there. But I would say it is time to upgrade a little
wink.gif

If nothing else, get some AE Park Avenues. Yes, they are not the most stylish things around but they can be found for very little and are well made.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Tentatively A as far as the options you have there. But I would say it is time to upgrade a little
wink.gif

If nothing else, get some AE Park Avenues. Yes, they are not the most stylish things around but they can be found for very little and are well made.

Edit:
For the record, I was typing up that response while tiger02 was posting it. Plagiarist
tounge.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only one of those that is not a complete monstrosity is pair A.

Omegablogger

Reaction score
With the exception of A, I would burn them and then find the factory that made them and burn that too.

With A, I would just burn them.

If it makes you feel any better I have some awful black shoes too, I'll maybe take some pics so we can be united in our shame and sorrow.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like any of them, but I think E has a right to exist as it is albeit not stylish but a shoe of traditional (moccasin) appearance.

stephen

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far! Very enlightening.
smile.gif
Like I said, I have difficulty choosing shoes. I've been wearing "A" for the past year or so. The rest came from the depths of my closet. However, I just purchased "D" for $160 from The Walking Store (on sale down from $300). Very comfortable, but I wasn't sure how I felt about the style. Here are the brands: A: Two Boot New York (from DSW) B: J. Ferrar (some department store) C: Bostonian Non-Stop D: Mephisto Cador E: Bostonian 2Pod F: J-Crew Any other thoughts? Suggestions? I'm just not sure what you can do with shoes... walking into a place like "Aldo" for trendy, budge shoes just has all these long, pointy toes. Is that fashionable? I can't afford anything ridiculous.

watchingdetails2002

Reaction score
I think you could wear all of these with casual clothes but I would look for some t things that are more traditional. Look for leather sole and vamps. I like tassel loafers or captoes or modern wingtips. Good luck in your quest. Robert

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Keep E and F for casual clothing. Probably D is good for garden work, garage sales or so. Drop the rest. Btw A and B are no Oxfords
laugh.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lack of imagination.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we have Aportnoy do a similar poll? Granted we'll be asked to choose between A - ZZZZ, but I'm okay with that. Start the action shots AP!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A is the best of the lot, although a black derby is a combination of formal and casual that doesn't quite work, in my opinion.

I have a pair of Bruno Magli loafers similar to F that I wear a fair amount on weekend nights, when I don't want to expose my nice shoes to stray drinks and other hazards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads