• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt worthy of Xmas party (cocktail-wear) that doesn't have to be tucked in?

tomjonesrocks

Reaction score
Arrrgh...I'm trying to decide if I'm going to this Xmas party or not. I've got a short torso but longer legs and always look awful in shirts that are tucked in. Additionally have put on 10lbs around the middle--am going to have to work hard at the gym next year--anyway I'm hating everything I'm trying on right now that I have to tuck in. I'd go so far as to say I'm not going to this party if I can't find something that I don't have to.

Is there anything appropriate I can wear that won't require tucking in? I don't think everyone will be wearing ties--but you're supposed to be in "cocktail wear". When I see dress shirts in stores I don't know what doesn't have to be tucked.

Any suggestions? Am going to have to buy something pretty quick in order to get it tailored if I'm going.

TIA!...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but cocktail wear seems at least a suit and tie.

Never wear a dress shirt with slacks and fail to tuck in. Never. I would say the same with jeans.

There are some casual shirts that have a straight hem across the front and back, and those are not meant to be tucked in - but I don't think they are appropriate for "cocktail wear."

Any dress shirt is meant to be tucked in.

If you want to hide the gut, wear a jacket or coat, that has to help. Or try a loose fitting v-neck, but shirt still tucked in underneath.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just put a sweater on over a tucked in button-down. Problem solved.

Though I do think "cocktail wear" implies, at the least, a sportcoat, though it may mean different things in different parts of the country.

tomjonesrocks

Reaction score
Yeah--this isn't "black tie"--but there *will* be a lot of ties at the event--but plenty that do just a dress shirt and slacks and no tie.

I hadn't considered the above though--never worn that look but that could work...

andrew.cmyk

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I recently got an Express 1MX that has a slim, modern fit and a straight hem on the front and back sides which looks pretty great untucked. And it was really cheap! I don't think very many people are going all out with suits, so I'm thinking about jeans and a jacket for the casual/semi-formal cocktail Xmas party. This one's hosted by my friends... not work... so I could get away with a lot. As long as I'm not the worst-dressed person there, I should be able to avoid some ridicule.

Leslierc

Reaction score
It's just my 2-cents, but I always thought "cocktail wear/attire" meant a suit and tie. If I received an invitation to a Christmas party that indicated "cocktail wear" as the attire, I definitely would not arrive dressed in an untucked shirt. Then, again, you are acquainted with the host/hostess; so you may know better about what would be appropriate attire for this event.

Leslierc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew.cmyk
As long as I'm not the worst-dressed person there, I should be able to avoid some ridicule.

Like playing "safe" in straight pool; sometimes, playing safe leads to anything but.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads