• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirt shrinkage

afaludi

Reaction score
i got a slim fit hugo boss shirt that fits dead on, but then thought how much do these shrink in the wash, should i size up or stay true to size.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think you should budget for about 2% shrinkage on cotton shirts that have not been pre-shrunk (or at least that is what I have been told). Can anyone else here confirm this?

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if shrinking occurs in the wash or in the drier? I've been trying to shrink a sleeve cuff that was enlarged for a watch and the tailor just told me to "wash" it several times. But I'm not noticing any change. I hang dry my shirts and I'm wondering if that's why there's no change. An answer would be helpful. Thanks.

EDIT: I did a search and this seems to be the best thread to post my question. If anyone can find a good answer on another thread, that would be much appreciated.

EDIT 2: I also want to mention that I iron my shirts after spraying water on the cloth to get the steaming effect since my iron's steam function is crappy. Should this be enough to cause the fabric fibers to tighten?

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine that the drier is where the shrinking takes place. Seen it happen on some older t-shirts.

billiebob

Reaction score
I only hang dry my shirts and they still shrink. I size up 1/2" in the neck and a full inch in the arms to account for this. Ironing a damp shirt gets it to 300F or higher everytime you wear it anyway. This is probably what shrinks it.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the cuff is too big, don't shrink the shirt. Move the button.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Old thread, but I didn't want to create a new one for no reason. I got a recent shipment of bespoke shirts and there was a margin added to the sleeve length to account for shrinkage. I have worn a couple of them about three times and even threw them in the drier after wearing and the sleeves are still too long. Did we (tailor and I) over estimate the shrinkage in this particular fabric, or is shrinkage something that will continue to occur gradually. I don't want to go moving the cuffs until I know its done, but at the same time slightly too long cuffs drive me batshit insane.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Old thread, but I didn't want to create a new one for no reason. I got a recent shipment of bespoke shirts and there was a margin added to the sleeve length to account for shrinkage. I have worn a couple of them about three times and even threw them in the drier after wearing and the sleeves are still too long. Did we (tailor and I) over estimate the shrinkage in this particular fabric, or is shrinkage something that will continue to occur gradually. I don't want to go moving the cuffs until I know its done, but at the same time slightly too long cuffs drive me batshit insane.

most shrinkage disappears within 3 washes.
have the sleeves shortened and tell them to leave the excess inside the cuff.
this is if it is 3/4" or less.
anymore, and then you might have to move the sleeve placket.
is the cuff the correct circumference.
you could always move the button or tighten up the buttonholes if it is a french cuff, with a couple of stitches at the far end of the buttonhole

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The cuff circumference is fine, just the length is a bit long. I am talking like 1/4" too long, but I'm a psycho and that drives me crazy.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've realized something. The cuffs aren't really too long, but rather the armhole was cut a bit higher and they don't ride up when I move my arm forward or bend my arm. I think I am used to the cuffs riding up and not staying put. Still don't know what I want to do. I am very stressed out over this and cannot think clearly.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The good shirt fabric comes already preshrinkred from the factory, only the average to poor does shrinks, and more if washed in hot water and not by hand.

Hugo Boss uses not mediocre but poor fabrics. So normal this happens.

edit, didnt see the newpost.

Next time, wash the fabrics before cutting. We only do it for the linen.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The good shirt fabric comes already preshrinkred from the factory, only the average to poor does shrinks, and more if washed in hot water and not by hand.

Not really. I have gotten great fabrics from many different mills, ones who claim their stuff doesn't shrink. Well guess, what? They do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads