• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt collar shape

mbc

Reaction score
I'm more or less trying to get this look:
intview-clooney.jpg
Notice how the collar of his shirt is standing up, nicely open, etc? I've found that with a lot of my shirts, my jackets have a tendency to push the collar flat against my chest/neck instead of letting the collar open like in the above picture. Is there a certain shape of collar (point, spread, etc) that I should be looking for to get this look? Or are my jackets just cut too slim/tight?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That look is the mark of an expensive shirt (very well made). As LAGuy said, get a high spread collar, though it doesn't need to be stiff.

A trick is to starch the placket right around the the first button left closed. This will keep it up stronger.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the movie - not a button down collar. It's a nice look - one I could really get best on my one white point collar Cerruti shirt before it died and ignoble death (ripped along the placket - I am going to patch it up for casualwear, but otherwise it is dead and buried.) Point and semi-spread Brioni shirts do the same thing for considerably more money.

Turn2

Reaction score
So that's the key....buying better shirts? Makes sense. I also thought maybe I could find a better dry cleaner?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads