• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FYI I have the Louie and carry 10 cards + 2 auto insurance cards.  Money is in a money clip in my front pocket... 
I probably carry same or more. The Louie is really packed right now, but I feel that after it has broken in, it should be fine.

6up

Reaction score
Hanoiboy......how old is the wallet. Can you post up more pics when you get a chance?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn fine stuff.

Spy

Reaction score
Anyone looking for shell stuff from small makers:
Shell cordovan stocks are near an all time low, because horsehides have become increasingly scarce in the US. As explained by my friend at the Horween tannery, China and India have been buying up almost all of the horse on the market. There's at least a two year wait for new and smaller customers to receive orders of shell, so I fear that a lot of us are going to be running low on shell stock unless we go through other means to find it.
To put it in perspective, I was going to try to buy scrap from Alden, and they don't have any shell in their factory. It's getting real ugly.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are my Horween shell cordovan wallets - card holders - passport covers. They are all from Ashland, Chester Mox, or bespoke from Buenos Aires, Argentina:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
brax, love the wallets. how would you compare the shell quality between the Argentinean and horween STUFF?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

brax, love the wallets. how would you compare the shell quality between the Argentinean and horween STUFF?

Exactly the same. I purchased the Horween shells in the USA and took them down with me to commission some small leather goods (above). I also took some #8 to Colombia and had them make a portfolio lined in pig suede (but that is a bit outside this "shell cordovan wallet" Appreciation thread.)

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, there is a very high end bespoke bookmaker near the Hurlingham Polo Club in Buenos Aires who can get shell directly from Horween.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested in shell patination, here is a pictuire of two identical #8 wallets. One has never been used while the other has been used every day for 4+ years.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested in shell patination, here is a pictuire of two identical #8 wallets. One has never been used while the other has been used every day for 4+ years.

So is there something wrong with the older one, hence the reason for the new one?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So is there something wrong with the older one, hence the reason for the new one?

I should have been a bit moe clear. Both wallets were made for me bespoke in Buenos Aires at the same time. I asked that he make two so that I could have a replacement ready but the "old" one is still in great shape so it will be a while before the "new" one gets taken out of the bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads