• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl collar cardigan recommendations

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed - on this sweater/jacket. For the turtleneck I think a sleek fit is TTS. Obviously no layering below the turtlenecks, and I can't imagine wearing much on top of them.

Jlord

Reaction score
I could not resist diving into the North Sea. I picked up the Expedition Cartigan and am *very* impressed. We shall see how often I have a chance to wear it but it feels truly like a piece of "lifetime" clothing. Considerable money, but considerably well spent if I get sufficient use out of it. I expect I may sell my Dehen 1920 (unworn) as I like the fit of the North Sea better.

I also picked up the Submariner but think I may prefer the Diver due to the drop shoulder on the Sub. The high waist style of these sweaters are an encouragement to stay slim. There's a natural tension here with bitter cold weather being the only time you can wear these, and my fondness for dark beer, braised meats, and scotch by the fire when it's chilly.

Despite having overdone it on "heavy" sweaters (a favorite being an SNS Hering the weighs in at several lbs.), based on my initial purchase I'm a fan of North Sea and offer a hearty endorsement (albeit with no wear time yet).

I second the recommendation. I own two NSC pieces, they're fantastic bits of kit.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kent Wang’s shawl cardigan is about $200-$215 which is nice and you’re able to request for exact length for the sleeves and torso. Wide range of nice colors. RRL is also nice, very thick and well-constructed, I love it. I’ve seen go for $200~ but colors would be limited.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kent Wang’s shawl cardigan ... you’re able to request for exact length for the sleeves and torso.
One of my favorite sweaters is an SNS Herning which is preposterously long. We are not all 6' 6" tall. I also find the length of my Cordings to be longer than ideal. The North Sea Clothing Expedition is suitably short in the torso with standard-length sleeves.

Spex

Reaction score
Northern Watters had a 2-4-1 sale last year around this time. I’m occasionally checking their site to see if it happens again. I wouldn’t mind this model. $254 Canadian is about $200 USD. All their sweaters are made in Canada by a small handful of artisans.

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
One of my favorite sweaters is an SNS Herning which is preposterously long. We are not all 6' 6" tall. I also find the length of my Cordings to be longer than ideal. The North Sea Clothing Expedition is suitably short in the torso with standard-length sleeves.
Could you say anything about the wool NSC uses? I've heard it's rather rough and itchy, which would rule out wearing just a T-shirt underneath.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you say anything about the wool NSC uses? I've heard it's rather rough and itchy, which would rule out wearing just a T-shirt underneath.
A bit late I know, but I’ve got half a dozen or so NSC jumpers and cardigans and none are itchy at all with a jumper underneath. Which is more than can be said for the U.K. army surplus they are based on.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

they do have a bit of a rougher feel than merino. I don’t know enough about the technical aspects of wool to know if it’s a function of the weaving or perhaps the animal it comes from.

as for the itch, it depends on your sensitivity. When I wear mine, there is an initial mild reaction in the form of some itching but it fades after about 10-15 minutes.

Raptorsfan01

Reaction score
Was hoping to get a recommendation for a Cashmere shawl cardigan that doesn't pill so much? I bought a wool one that i love, but after a month of wear it is pill all over. I don't mind spending more on a quality one.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Kent Wang’s shawl cardigan is about $200-$215 which is nice and you’re able to request for exact length for the sleeves and torso. Wide range of nice colors. RRL is also nice, very thick and well-constructed, I love it. I’ve seen go for $200~ but colors would be limited.

I hated the Kent Wang cardigan I tried on, the wool was just not pleasant. It didn't help that they were crazy slim. If you're tall / thin, size up, and if you're short / fat, go elsewhere. It also didn't help that the cream color doesn't look anything in person like it does in photos, much warmer/yellower.

Was hoping to get a recommendation for a Cashmere shawl cardigan that doesn't pill so much? I bought a wool one that i love, but after a month of wear it is pill all over. I don't mind spending more on a quality one.

There are a lot of factors and no guarantees.

Cashmere tends to pill faster than other wools. Cheap cashmere pills *very* fast. I've heard Drake's say that their cashmere will go longer without pilling (high quality, multi-ply), but it's expensive as hell, even if you buy straight from their manufacturer.

Keeping your knitwear clean / washing it as necessary should actually help some with pilling (but moths love clean knitwear, so make sure you have that covered).

If you want a good value on an item that will last, merino is a much better value than cashmere. It'll either be a little cheaper and last longer, or a lot cheaper and probably still last longer... Or the same price and last *way* longer. But still, try to keep it clean. And there are no guarantees. My Inis Meain merino beanie started to pill after a single season.

Oh, final note: shavers should be a last-ditch measure only for extreme pilling, since they cut fibers and will enocurage more pilling and other problems in the long run.

Last edited:

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
Has anyone been in touch recently with the guys at Winston & Co? They're not responding to messages and seem to have gone out of business or something.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

super easy to shorten sweaters , much harder to lengthen

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads