• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl collar cardigan recommendations

Jlord

Reaction score
Has anyone been in touch recently with the guys at Winston & Co? They're not responding to messages and seem to have gone out of business or something.
I think that's likely the case...

...when I last spoke with them they were experiencing huge shipping delays s d were receiving their winter stock months later and well into the warmer weather. It's likely the lost sales and incurred costs really damaged the business.

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
I think that's likely the case...

...when I last spoke with them they were experiencing huge shipping delays s d were receiving their winter stock months later and well into the warmer weather. It's likely the lost sales and incurred costs really damaged the business.
That would a real shame. Their cardigans looked great.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
kitchener stitch . can do tutorial if helpful
Is it also easy to shorten tracksuit trousers/jogging pants?
I have a few pairs that I would like to get shortened but almost don't like the idea of bothering my tailor with them, as I'm sure it's very simple to do. Just haven't got round to working it out!

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please do.

sure . if we're talking hand-knitted or -framed pieces they are typically easy to alter by length . altho one issue with cardigans in particular might be the pockets including the pocket bags . so that's a bit of a caveat , maybe i'll do this exercise as a separate thread b/c otherwise hems are really pretty easy to shorten . will require a tapestry needle , and i'll recommend maybe one other tool .

( fun fact kitchener stitch was developed for british soldiers in wwi as a seamless finish for sock toes - so as to not maim feet - is a pretty intuitive field technique )

Is it also easy to shorten tracksuit trousers/jogging pants?
I have a few pairs that I would like to get shortened but almost don't like the idea of bothering my tailor with them, as I'm sure it's very simple to do. Just haven't got round to working it out!

in a nutshell yes ...

but : in your case i think we're talking a finer jersey or a sweatshirt fleece and maybe synthetics . so now we're in the realm of cut-and-sew , as opposed to the needlework stuff i'll be doing for the above .

still , it's not hard but those garments are typically made with a serger or overlock machine and your tailor might well do this type of work . i wouldn't hesitate to ask , also dry cleaners sometimes make these alterations . fwiw i've done quite a bit of sweatshirt fleece by hand as sportswear is an interest of mine ... it comes out great but it's not so intuitive

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
sure . if we're talking hand-knitted or -framed pieces they are typically easy to alter by length . altho one issue with cardigans in particular might be the pockets including the pocket bags . so that's a bit of a caveat , maybe i'll do this exercise as a separate thread b/c otherwise hems are really pretty easy to shorten . will require a tapestry needle , and i'll recommend maybe one other tool .

( fun fact kitchener stitch was developed for british soldiers in wwi as a seamless finish for sock toes - so as to not maim feet - is a pretty intuitive field technique )

in a nutshell yes ...

but : in your case i think we're talking a finer jersey or a sweatshirt fleece and maybe synthetics . so now we're in the realm of cut-and-sew , as opposed to the needlework stuff i'll be doing for the above .

still , it's not hard but those garments are typically made with a serger or overlock machine and your tailor might well do this type of work . i wouldn't hesitate to ask , also dry cleaners sometimes make these alterations . fwiw i've done quite a bit of sweatshirt fleece by hand as sportswear is an interest of mine ... it comes out great but it's not so intuitive
Dry cleaners is a good shout, thanks!

msimon

Reaction score
Has anybody heard of Black Sheep knitwear? Can't find much information on them. Their shawl-collar cardigan looks good but has the same cheapish vibe as Kent Wang's to my eye.
What do you mean cheapish?. If your looking for softness then go else where but they are very heavy dense and warm. Excellent construction on par with william lockie.

They also smell of sheep because they don't wash the lanolin out of the wool so it makes it a Excellent outdoor weather resistant garment.

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
What do you mean cheapish?. If your looking for softness then go else where but they are very heavy dense and warm. Excellent construction on par with william lockie.

They also smell of sheep because they don't wash the lanolin out of the wool so it makes it a Excellent outdoor weather resistant garment.
I mean flimsy, and the cut looks underwhelming, but that's judging from pictures only. On which points would you say the construction compares to Lockie? Any idea where they source their yarn?

msimon

Reaction score
I mean flimsy, and the cut looks underwhelming, but that's judging from pictures only. On which points would you say the construction compares to Lockie? Any idea where they source their yarn?
I see what you mean, It's most likely the gauge that hides the cut on the body somewhat. Construction wise the seams are all well done and neat with no loose ends, I see no reason for unexpected unravelling which I have had in the past with others (paul james). Kent Wang looks almost identical so I do wonder who manufactures for Kent Wang and Blacksheep, no idea on the yarn either.

Give north sea clothing shawls a look for something similar, there apparently cut slim.

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
I see what you mean, It's most likely the gauge that hides the cut on the body somewhat. Construction wise the seams are all well done and neat with no loose ends, I see no reason for unexpected unravelling which I have had in the past with others (paul james). Kent Wang looks almost identical so I do wonder who manufactures for Kent Wang and Blacksheep, no idea on the yarn either.

Give north sea clothing shawls a look for something similar, there apparently cut slim.
Thanks. Kent Wang's are made in Canada by Northern Watters. NSC's cardigans look nice, though for some reason less chunky than the WL or SC ones, more like a jersey jacket or something. Maybe it's the density or the absence of ribbing...

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
Besides NMWA and Colhay's, do you know if any other brand or retailer selling S&C lambswool cardigans?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads