• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving questions...

Reaction score
i like the idea of a straight, i just don't trust my left hand with sharp objects.

i shaved with a feather blade for the first time last night and it was amazing. like shaving with a light saber. no nicks or irritation----i just had to control the fear.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
The problem in using a straight razor is not so much in the using as getting the routine down for sharpening the razor. There is a learning curve associated with this (not easy) along with the sharpening supplies that are needed. New razors are usually never delivered shaving sharp so it is up to you to take care of this. It takes considerably longer to shave in the beginning first all the preparation then more slowly the shaving.

A straight razor is not for someone on the run but if you get into it can be a very rewarding experience. I bought into this a year or so ago and can tell you I have not had the patience to learn this sharpening routine yet. The actual shaving part after the initial shock of putting this sharp object next to your face is easy and you are much less likely to nick yourself than with a regular razor. But trying to shave with a less than sharp razor is not an experience anyone would want to have.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have two straight razors and I never use them b/c I don't feel like jacking with them; sharpening, stropping. When I did use them the shave isn'tt even as close as my DE. Although it's my not willing to take the time to learn that's at fault there, not the razor. It's just too much hassle.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe-nut
The problem in using a straight razor is not so much in the using as getting the routine down for sharpening the razor. There is a learning curve associated with this (not easy) along with the sharpening supplies that are needed. New razors are usually never delivered shaving sharp so it is up to you to take care of this. It takes considerably longer to shave in the beginning first all the preparation then more slowly the shaving. A straight razor is not for someone on the run but if you get into it can be a very rewarding experience. I bought into this a year or so ago and can tell you I have not had the patience to learn this sharpening routine yet. The actual shaving part after the initial shock of putting this sharp object next to your face is easy and you are much less likely to nick yourself than with a regular razor. But trying to shave with a less than sharp razor is not an experience anyone would want to have.
I was under the impression that you can have new razors honed before having them shipped so that should take care of that problem for a short while. Also, some seem to maintain that a vintage straight razor is a better shaver than the new things. But if frogs can do it, why not people? I have used a DE with Feather blades for some time now and I've never nicked or cut myself; it usually takes me about 10 minutes for the shave. However, I've heard that some people hate the Feather blades because they cut themselves.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB
The heat opens the pores making the hair more stand out further and thus results in a closer shave. The cold water does the opposite, it closes pores and should be used after a shave. The best time to shave is just after getting out of the shower as your pores are already open. Regarding your first question, I'm completely clueless as an electric razor has never touched my face. It certainly sounds odd though.

Pores don't have anything to do with ingrown hairs or shaving irritation, and any derm will tell you that your pores don't open or close because of hot or cold water. It's a myth.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I was under the impression that you can have new razors honed before having them shipped so that should take care of that problem for a short while.

Also, some seem to maintain that a vintage straight razor is a better shaver than the new things. But if frogs can do it, why not people?

I have used a DE with Feather blades for some time now and I've never nicked or cut myself; it usually takes me about 10 minutes for the shave. However, I've heard that some people hate the Feather blades because they cut themselves.

I have heard that the Feather Blades are very sharp even sharper than a well stropped straight razor. The downside here is that you have to change the blades like a regular razor. Straight razors will be a one time investment that with care will last you a lifetime.

I have both vintage and new straight razors and have not given up yet on making the transition over to them. Almost all new blades are Stainless now and of course most all vintage are carbon steel. Carbon is much easier to sharpen and may even take a keener edge. But the Stainless will hold an edge longer.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
DSCN1616.jpg

As an afterthought some of my cutlery. Out the Front Automatics and Straight Razors when I was buying that sort of stuff a few years back.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I notice that your razor has a Nazi symbol on it. Was that original?

It seems stainless steel razor blades are somewhat looked down up.

It is a product of the times the traditional crowd I suppose believes in carbon and doesn't want to change. The fact of the matter is that the Japanese are making some mighty fine kitchen knives today out of a layered stainless steel. These knives beat the all the German offerings Wusthof, F. Dick, Henckels etc in carbon or stainless with ease.

I don't see anything wrong with stainless but as I said I think carbon is easier to sharpen it just won't hold an edge as well.

Yes, it was sold to me as a war relic from WW11.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads