• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serious fashion advice

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe I intended to respond to you on this thread (maybe unintentionally?) and I’m really, really not interested in a Loveshack.org battle between bitter middle aged feminists and misogynistic “red pillers.” You may freely disagree with anything I post, I won’t take it personally and I won’t hate you.
Fine with me—and trust me, I’m not bitter—but it was you who chose to start giving dating advice to the OP, nobody else.

To the OP, don’t let this dude convince you not to look good on your date. Having a confident mindset is just that, a mindset—has nothing to do with what you choose to wear. Nobody is saying a suit, but from the sounds of it, a sportcoat would be fine.

rjc149

Reaction score
Fine with me—and trust me, I’m not bitter—but it was you who chose to start giving dating advice to the OP, nobody else.

To the OP, don’t let this dude convince you not to look good on your date. Nobody is saying a suit, but from the sounds of it, a sportcoat would be fine.
Sorry I couldn’t help myself. It’s a public advice forum, after all. Sort of comes with territory.

I’d also ask you to actually read my posts before flagrantly misrepresenting them. Unless you can quote me advising the OP to dress poorly.

dpatton75

Reaction score
This thread turned into a thread on dating advice, how?

How do you know that she hasn't put out? How do you know that we haven't enjoyed casual outings? You assume a lot about her and about me. What specifically makes you an authority on this subject? (Not saying I agree or disagree with your perspective). Why be rude?

I am interested in dress clothes advice and nothing else.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So then we all agree, this is the correct move?

1627258957026.png

dpatton75

Reaction score
By "trendy" and 'fashionable", I don't mean hipster. Maybe I am using the wrong fashion terminology. I just mean current trends in men's wear, that is all. I have been a Brook's Brothers man for years, just looking for new brands and how best to wear them.

I voted for Trump for God's sake. I believe in conservative principles and elegant yet conservative dress.

BTW I did order a few pairs of Spier & Mackay pants. I haven't gotten them in yet though. I appreciate that advice. It will be my first experience with this brand. This is the kind of advice that I was looking for from the beginning.

rjc149

Reaction score
This thread turned into a thread on dating advice, how?

How do you know that she hasn't put out? How do you know that we haven't enjoyed casual outings? You assume a lot about her and about me. What specifically makes you an authority on this subject? (Not saying I agree or disagree with your perspective). Why be rude?

I am interested in dress clothes advice and nothing else.
I didn’t mean to be rude or get carried away. I’m sorry if that’s the case.

This thread became about dating advice because of the scenario you set up. You’ve been on a few dates with a very attractive woman, you want to pull out all the stops for date #3 and wow her with your new threads. I remarked that unless you are in a sexual relationship with this woman, spending money on an expensive new outfit in order to make her like you is ill-advised from an attraction standpoint. Dating women with expensive tastes is also ill-advised— especially if your relationship is not yet sexual.

You then pivoted to also wanting new clothes for work. Which is totally fine, and desirable. My advice to you is yes, dress nicely and sharply for a date, and in general because you are a man who takes care of his appearance— but it’s counter-productive to do this solely for the purpose of impressing a date. Hence, something along the lines of dressy business casual is perfectly appropriate. You don’t need a bespoke suit for a date, unless it can also be used for work or other settings. That’s just not how you initially set the scenario.

rjc149

Reaction score
I got so excited about a date once, I went out and bought a Ralph Lauren Black Label suit for the occasion. The woman and I later got married.
I’m glad buying a suit for a date allowed you to achieve society’s institutional definition of happiness.
So then we all agree, this is the correct move?

View attachment 1644264
I don’t care for peaked lapels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads