• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 141 and shorter folks?

Bob01

Reaction score
Hey All,

I don't have a Schott dealer near me to try one on and see how it looks...So basically the question is for a Schott 141 - Cafe Racer Style jacket that is roughly 26" long from neck to bottom hem would work for a shorter person that is roughly 5'6"?

141BLKfrt2.jpg

Where is the ideal point for where a cafe racer should sit? If I figured it right, this jacket would sit roughly right at/below the bottom of the fly of my jeans...they should ideally sit between your hip and waist right?

Thanks,

Bob

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
26" is way too long for you, it's too long for anyone below 6 foot something. A cafe racer should be somewhere around your beltline, maybe just a tad below if you're conservative and a bit above the beltline if you want it to look like a biker jacket and want a more stylish silhouette - remember this is a motorcycle jacket and should not bunch or dig in when seated. At 5'6", you should be looking at like 21" front/23" back length, and that's on the long side, you could go as far as 19/21 if you were wanting a cropped motorcycle jacket look.

Bob01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
26" is way too long for you, it's too long for anyone below 6 foot something. A cafe racer should be somewhere around your beltline, maybe just a tad below if you're conservative and a bit above the beltline if you want it to look like a biker jacket and want a more stylish silhouette - remember this is a motorcycle jacket and should not bunch or dig in when seated. At 5'6", you should be looking at like 21" front/23" back length, and that's on the long side, you could go as far as 19/21 if you were wanting a cropped motorcycle jacket look.

Thanks!, you confirmed my suspicions...I saw a size 38 Schott 141 in brown on ebay and was considering it....but guess I'll just wait around till I see something that is between 21-23 in length...

In the event there is someone who wants it...its going for 92 bucks now (minus the lining though)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350354309058

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends really. If you actually ride a motorcycle, the shorter jackets WILL ride up and expose your lower back to the road in the event of a crash. I'm just under 5'10", and my Vanson (~23), is shorter than I want in a true riding jacket. I'm actually considering the 141 for its extra length.

Bob01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
It depends really. If you actually ride a motorcycle, the shorter jackets WILL ride up and expose your lower back to the road in the event of a crash. I'm just under 5'10", and my Vanson (~23), is shorter than I want in a true riding jacket. I'm actually considering the 141 for its extra length.

Reading more on this topic, it appears the disadvantage of it being long (in the front) when riding, is that it will most likely curl up/be uncomfortable/stabbing your junk/etc...However if you get thrown off I guess thats nothing compared to having your lower back unprotected...

steviecakes

Reaction score
just got measurements from Schott regarding the 641. It's a 25.5" back length. Also got measurements from British Motorcycle Gear about their Montana jacket. It's 23" long. But it has 25" sleeves. I'm 5'5"-5'6". Could a tailor hem the sleeves, or is that going to just cause one big expensive mess?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by steviecakes
just got measurements from Schott regarding the 641. It's a 25.5" back length. Also got measurements from British Motorcycle Gear about their Montana jacket. It's 23" long. But it has 25" sleeves. I'm 5'5"-5'6". Could a tailor hem the sleeves, or is that going to just cause one big expensive mess?

Yes, you can have a tailor do the sleeves, but it's going to be expensive and a bit complicated. They'll have to rebuild the zippers and place them higher. But given how long these jackets last, I think that it's worth it to have the proper fit.

Here at the store, we sell a ton of 641's. It has a great fit in the shoulders and chest. As impolyt_one said, it is a longer fit in the body than the usual cafe racer, but most of my customers like that. I've definitely sold it to guys around your height. I think that it looks great on them - but the look is different from the usual waist-length cafe style. The quality and finish is phenomenal - especially for the price.

The 141's fit is a lot different. It's a true motorcycle jacket with thick leather and a fairly boxy fit. If you're looking for something to ride in, then this might be a more practical choice as it's tougher and can take a zip-out liner. But even sizing down won't give you a slim jacket - it's still going to be a bit bulky.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also are the arm sleeves baggy on the 141? 641 arms looks nice.
I don't consider the 641 as a true riding jacket, it has seams on the back which is why it's cheaper.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also how slim are you? All the newer Schotts I have tried on seem to be cut to fit a typical "American" figure, so if you're on the slender side it probably won't fit you very well.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
Yes, you can have a tailor do the sleeves, but it's going to be expensive and a bit complicated. They'll have to rebuild the zippers and place them higher. But given how long these jackets last, I think that it's worth it to have the proper fit.

Here at the store, we sell a ton of 641's. It has a great fit in the shoulders and chest. As impolyt_one said, it is a longer fit in the body than the usual cafe racer, but most of my customers like that. I've definitely sold it to guys around your height. I think that it looks great on them - but the look is different from the usual waist-length cafe style. The quality and finish is phenomenal - especially for the price.

The 141's fit is a lot different. It's a true motorcycle jacket with thick leather and a fairly boxy fit. If you're looking for something to ride in, then this might be a more practical choice as it's tougher and can take a zip-out liner. But even sizing down won't give you a slim jacket - it's still going to be a bit bulky.

Originally Posted by entrero
Also are the arm sleeves baggy on the 141? 641 arms looks nice.
I don't consider the 641 as a true riding jacket, it has seams on the back which is why it's cheaper.

I'm confused here. Are you guys referring to the 654 casual racer? The 641 is identical to the 141, except that it's made of steerhide. The 641HH is horsehide.

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/men/

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I guess the 654 is lighter and not really a true riding jacket. I think it does fit a little slimmer though, and I kind of like the lack of chest pockets. Does look a little cheaper with the back seam.

klewless

Reaction score
I am having this exact same issue regarding the 141. I would highly suggest you shoot an email to Gail at Schott. She told me that a short guy like me will swim in the arm length of anything over a size 40, but the taper of the 141 means the size 40 will not fit properly at the waist. I may have to find something else when I know I really want the 141.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob01
Reading more on this topic, it appears the disadvantage of it being long (in the front) when riding, is that it will most likely curl up/be uncomfortable/stabbing your junk/etc...However if you get thrown off I guess thats nothing compared to having your lower back unprotected...

Not only that, a real riding jacket should be slightly longer in the back because most spine protectors (not the standalone ones) don't extend to the very bottom of the jacket. I like Vanson's riding jackets for this reason because many of them feature a "dipped" back panel, which extends the bottom of the back panel slightly downward so you get more coverage.

Have you considered the Vanson armored Comet as an alternative? Schott jackets are not armored so that's a big minus; further the Vanson can be custom-made for you if you have the cash. The only difference in styling is that the Vanson has two "eyebrow" pockets but if you're going custom you can ask them to remove one (or both).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zappa