• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got to actually make my own fragrance while in Paris last week, was an amazing experience.

Won’t go too deep into it but made a slightly floral, musky fougere that could use some tweaks but I’ll work that out when I reorder.

Today I was also given a bottle of jazz club by Margiela. Actually quite happy with it, I’m usually weary of the brands who aren’t solely cologne companies but it’s a nice boozy, tobacco-y scent.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Got to actually make my own fragrance while in Paris last week, was an amazing experience.

Won’t go too deep into it but made a slightly floral, musky fougere that could use some tweaks but I’ll work that out when I reorder.

Today I was also given a bottle of jazz club by Margiela. Actually quite happy with it, I’m usually weary of the brands who aren’t solely cologne companies but it’s a nice boozy, tobacco-y scent.
Wow, good for you. I'd love to make my own fragrances and learn more about the chemistry behind fragrances.

I would disagree with your second statement. I think it's wrong to dismiss fragrances that don't come from fragrance-only houses. There is a **** load of excellent non-niche fragrances out there. You just have to smell a lot and see what satisfies your taste. Regarding Jazz Club, I find it off-putting, and that's coming from a huge tobacco fan. It's almost like the sting of bitter tobacco smoke in your mouth with the afterburn of hard liquor. Not bad, but poorly executed in my view.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, good for you. I'd love to make my own fragrances and learn more about the chemistry behind fragrances.

I would disagree with your second statement. I think it's wrong to dismiss fragrances that don't come from fragrance-only houses. There is a **** load of excellent non-niche fragrances out there. You just have to smell a lot and see what satisfies your taste. Regarding Jazz Club, I find it off-putting, and that's coming from a huge tobacco fan. It's almost like the sting of bitter tobacco smoke in your mouth with the afterburn of hard liquor. Not bad, but poorly executed in my view.

It was an awesome experience I’m glad I did it!

But you’re absolutely right. I’m being unnecessarily biased for no reason. But that’s probably from the Versace and Issey Miyake scents I grew up with from my parents.

Jazz club is definitely a little more aggressive compared to what I like but it calms down quickly on my skin. I definitely see the sharpness from the tobacco but a soft burn from the alcohol.

shoewarma

Reaction score
It was an awesome experience I’m glad I did it!

But you’re absolutely right. I’m being unnecessarily biased for no reason. But that’s probably from the Versace and Issey Miyake scents I grew up with from my parents.

Jazz club is definitely a little more aggressive compared to what I like but it calms down quickly on my skin. I definitely see the sharpness from the tobacco but a soft burn from the alcohol.
Of course there are designers that I generally avoid nowadays, but some are still more than capable of putting out pretty decent stuff.

If you like the tobacco in MMM Jazz Club, one that I'd recommend is Aramis Havana. It's a recent acquisition for me, but man, it's actually really bloody good. You can obviously tell that it isn't the highest quality, but it really doesn't smell cheap at all.

Anachronist

Reaction score
At the risk of being accused of being “old school”, I still very much enjoy the late Aramis Havana. Always liked the combination of fresh citrusy and spicy notes. Most spicy scents today tend to be way too heady and sweet IMHO

Eucris

Reaction score
Ta'if by Ormonde Jayne
Top notes: Pink pepper, Saffron and Dates
Mid notes: Rose oil, Freesia, Orange flower absolute and Jasmine
Base notes: Broom and Amber

Last edited:

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing MFK Masculin Pluriel today. Really like this stuff, might have to order a full bottle when my decant runs out.

Also ordered a bottle of Jubilation XXV this morning. I think I'll be wearing it a lot this winter.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Wearing MFK Masculin Pluriel today. Really like this stuff, might have to order a full bottle when my decant runs out.

Also ordered a bottle of Jubilation XXV this morning. I think I'll be wearing it a lot this winter.
Masculin Pluriel is the fragrance that made me understand what a high quality fragrance smells like.

I need to get a decant of Jubilation though. Of all the Amouage fragrances I've tried, this and Memoir are the only two I don't remember what they smell like.

karmaguy

Reaction score
Masculin Pluriel is the fragrance that made me understand what a high quality fragrance smells like.

I need to get a decant of Jubilation though. Of all the Amouage fragrances I've tried, this and Memoir are the only two I don't remember what they smell like.

im not sure this makes sense but jubilation is one of those scents i read people talking about, remember i have ordered samples of it multiple times, forget what it smelled like, order a sample again, like but dont love, repeat

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I really like Masculin Pluriel, I think it’s my favorite that I’ve smelled from Kurkdijan.

I sampled Bel Respirio by Chanel today. It has a really “invigorating” green opening that settles into a still green and clean scent that I really enjoy. I know we were talking about eBay and it’s possible fakes here a month ago but this 15% off coupon they have this weekend seems to work on perfume so I might risk it on a bottle.

Has anyone smelled anything from Francesca Bianchi? Those are pretty tempting with that eBay nice price as well.

shoewarma

Reaction score
My favourites from MFK are Masculin Pluriel, Grand Soir, and Lumiere Noire Pour Homme. Those are just too good, but I have been underwhelmed by some of his other offerings.

Today, I put on some Oud Palao by Diptyque. Genuinely one of their best offerings, albeit a little too sweet considering how light it is for an oud fragrance. I'd want a bit more robustness for the sweetness to be acceptable. I'm not a fan of Diptyque, but I gotta hand it to them here. Doesn't top Tam Dao EDP though.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zoologist Civet today, because it's one I probably shouldn't wear to work. Worked my way through a Zoologist sample set recently and I think this is the only one I'd consider a bottle of, although I enjoyed Camel and Nightingale as well. It's odd, I really liked Moth the first time I sampled it, but the second time I wore it I just got a note off it that smelled like...death. Drove me crazy and actually made me a little nauseous.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourites from MFK are Masculin Pluriel, Grand Soir, and Lumiere Noire Pour Homme. Those are just too good, but I have been underwhelmed by some of his other offerings.

These are all great choices. I wore Lumiere Noire last night. I normally hate rose scents, but this rose smells much more natural to me. I'm a fan of the Aqua Forte series, but they're not particularly unique. I would highly recommend checking out the Oud series if that's a profile you enjoy, though. Oud Satin Mood is my favorite.

harlequin782

Reaction score
Masculin Pluriel is my favorite fougere, followed by Maison Margiela - At the Barbers.

I find At The Barbers to be a more rugged smelling version of Masculin Pluriel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads