• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eau Noire today. Good to have this back in circulation again. Imho one of only two great Dior's this side of the millennium (the other one is the original Homme). But is the longevity not as good as it used to be? I haven't worn it in many years but I remember it as lasting longer.

I love the smell of coffee but have so far never encountered a successful frag with coffee in it. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Eau Noire today. Good to have this back in circulation again. Imho one of only two great Dior's this side of the millennium (the other one is the original Homme). But is the longevity not as good as it used to be? I haven't worn it in many years but I remember it as lasting longer.

I love the smell of coffee but have so far never encountered a successful frag with coffee in it. Any suggestions?
I wore Eau Noire the other day, and it easily lasted from early morning into evening for me. Maybe it's anosmia? Or, if it's the new version, perhaps it needs maceration? The version I wore the other day, though, was the new version.

Coffee: Akro Awake. People seem to really love that one. I'm not crazy about coffee, though. I never drink it. A coffee perfume isn't anything I'm particularly interested by. (Akro Malt, on the other hand...)

Today is Profumum Roma Ambra Aurea.

375x500.6968.jpg

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore Eau Noire the other day, and it easily lasted from early morning into evening for me. Maybe it's anosmia? Or, if it's the new version, perhaps it needs maceration? The version I wore the other day, though, was the new version.

Coffee: Akro Awake. People seem to really love that one. I'm not crazy about coffee, though. I never drink it. A coffee perfume isn't anything I'm particularly interested by. (Akro Malt, on the other hand...)

Today is Profumum Roma Ambra Aurea.

375x500.6968.jpg

Thinking about ordering some samples from Profumum Roma. Which one's should I start with?

WavyGravy

Reaction score

You might try Milano Caffe by La Via del Profumo. It is not a gourmand fragrance. It is a rich, smoky combination of Vetiver and patchouli. It is all natural, so doesn’t last an eternity. I like it a lot.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Thinking about ordering some samples from Profumum Roma. Which one's should I start with?
It depends on what you like, really.

Amber? Ambra Aurea is considered by many to be an amber reference.
Aquatic? To me, Acqua di Sale is the standard when it comes to aquatics. I believe it's also the house's most popular.
Dark woods and incense? Arso and Patchouly.
Straight up incense? Olibanum.
Gourmand? They have lots that lean gourmand, though they are often very sweet. Maybe Sorriso, which is chocolate and orange.
Soapy/citrus/woodsy/kinda old school barbershop? Antico Caruso.

They have tons of perfumes. I've sampled the entire line at one of their boutiques in Rome (I highly suggest a visit if anyone is ever in Rome because my experience in their store was perhaps the best perfume shopping experience I've had), but those are just the ones I'm most familiar with. They even have another line, Note di Profumum, which is also excellent, though I am not sure it's currently available outside of Italy. It might only be available in Rome, which is where I tried the line and bought one from it (Meraviglia).

I'll point out, though, that you shouldn't expect much complexity from Profumum Roma. The fragrances are very linear; however, they are very luxurious. Their fragrances are known to be highly concentrated at more than 40% perfume oil, which is higher than most extraits. As such, they don't have the greatest sillage, but they last a very long time.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you like, really.

Amber? Ambra Aurea is considered by many to be an amber reference.
Aquatic? To me, Acqua di Sale is the standard when it comes to aquatics. I believe it's also the house's most popular.
Dark woods and incense? Arso and Patchouly.
Straight up incense? Olibanum.
Gourmand? They have lots that lean gourmand, though they are often very sweet. Maybe Sorriso, which is chocolate and orange.
Soapy/citrus/woodsy/kinda old school barbershop? Antico Caruso.

They have tons of perfumes. I've sampled the entire line at one of their boutiques in Rome (I highly suggest a visit if anyone is ever in Rome because my experience in their store was perhaps the best perfume shopping experience I've had), but those are just the ones I'm most familiar with. They even have another line, Note di Profumum, which is also excellent, though I am not sure it's currently available outside of Italy. It might only be available in Rome, which is where I tried the line and bought one from it (Meraviglia).

I'll point out, though, that you shouldn't expect much complexity from Profumum Roma. The fragrances are very linear; however, they are very luxurious. Their fragrances are known to be highly concentrated at more than 40% perfume oil, which is higher than most extraits. As such, they don't have the greatest sillage, but they last a very long time.

Thanks. I have tried Acqua di Sale and that's really good, but it's the only one I've tried. Generally not a big fan of gourmands so I'll stay clear of them. I'm also curious about their new scent: Dincanto

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Thanks. I have tried Acqua di Sale and that's really good, but it's the only one I've tried. Generally not a big fan of gourmands so I'll stay clear of them. I'm also curious about their new scent: Dincanto
Yes, that new one sounds good. I definitely think it's a house worth checking out if you already like Acqua di Sale. Should you get some samples, keep in mind that the fragrances are very oily and some people say that they stain.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's scent - Floris Elite . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads