• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking earlier that I really don't wear it enough. Part of me just doesn't want the shine of it to rub off. What makes it even better that I wore it today is that I was out walking around earlier and it started to rain. It's such a great fragrance in the rain.

Some of my favourite fragrances are ones that I feel like I can wear on a rainy evening in the city. Especially anything earthy or woody that conjures up the same picture.

Never liked this one much compared to Oud Wood. What do you think of each on you?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of my favourite fragrances are ones that I feel like I can wear on a rainy evening in the city. Especially anything earthy or woody that conjures up the same picture.

Never liked this one much compared to Oud Wood. What do you think of each on you?
Well, Oud Wood and Tuscan Leather are my two favorites on me, so the Tobacco Oud is definitely just a change of pace.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Le Labo Patchouli 24

Love this in the summertime.

375x500.6332.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went with Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver today. Not bad as a variant on the original - met a lot of chatty people today!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vetiver is a tough ingredient in general. I hated Frederic Malle's take on it, but Sycomore and Bel Ami Vetiver are magnificent. It needs an earthiness in its expression to compliment me.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Vetiver is a tough ingredient in general. I hated Frederic Malle's take on it, but Sycomore and Bel Ami Vetiver are magnificent. It needs an earthiness in its expression to compliment me.
I totally agree that vetiver can be tough. Frederic Malle's has grown a bit on me, but not enough where I feel like I need a bottle. Sycomore is nice, but it also gives me a terrible headache every time I sample it. Guerlain's is pretty good, but it vanishes very quickly whenever I try it. Dior's is by far my favorite because it's so fresh but is grounded well by coffee and lasts a long time. It's so clean and simple with a touch of elegance. Unfortunately, though, it's a pain ********** to get because Dior's restricted its distribution to Paris. I had my sister bring it back for me. It was a total blind buy, and I really lucked out, especially since vetiver is something I don't typically go for in perfume.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally agree that vetiver can be tough. Frederic Malle's has grown a bit on me, but not enough where I feel like I need a bottle. Sycomore is nice, but it also gives me a terrible headache every time I sample it. Guerlain's is pretty good, but it vanishes very quickly whenever I try it. Dior's is by far my favorite because it's so fresh but is grounded well by coffee and lasts a long time. It's so clean and simple with a touch of elegance. Unfortunately, though, it's a pain ********** to get because Dior's restricted its distribution to Paris. I had my sister bring it back for me. It was a total blind buy, and I really lucked out, especially since vetiver is something I don't typically go for in perfume.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever tried Dior's. And I had the same problem with Guerlain too. Do you find that you're more partial to those linear fragrances, or moreso with tricky ingredients?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have a bottle of Vetiver Extraordinaire, so I obviously like it, but I haven't felt the desire to replace it since I ran out. Bruno Fazzolari Lampblack is a vetiver I may want to buy next. It smells to me like a darker, more interesting Grey Vetiver. Definitely not a blind buy, however.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Hmm, I don't think I've ever tried Dior's. And I had the same problem with Guerlain too. Do you find that you're more partial to those linear fragrances, or moreso with tricky ingredients?
I wouldn't say I'm partial to fragrances that are more linear. I generally think it's more interesting for a perfume to have some complexity and development, but then I also remember that one of my favorite houses is Profumum Roma, and a lot of theirs are very linear. The Profumum Romas, though, are very rich and luxurious. That may be due to the fact that they are extraits, but it's also probably the quality of the ingredients. Ingredient quality is probably what makes Dior Vetiver so good. I can definitely see how someone might think it's boring because it doesn't really change much, but if a fragrance smells like it's very high quality and very well constructed and I think it smells great, then it doesn't have to change for me to like it.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I'm partial to fragrances that are more linear. I generally think it's more interesting for a perfume to have some complexity and development, but then I also remember that one of my favorite houses is Profumum Roma, and a lot of theirs are very linear. The Profumum Romas, though, are very rich and luxurious. That may be due to the fact that they are extraits, but it's also probably the quality of the ingredients. Ingredient quality is probably what makes Dior Vetiver so good. I can definitely see how someone might think it's boring because it doesn't really change much, but if a fragrance smells like it's very high quality and very well constructed and I think it smells great, then it doesn't have to change for me to like it.

That makes sense. I should see if I can find that Dior vetiver tomorrow and give it a try. Maybe they've hoarded a few for the Canadian market.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of vetiver, I smelled a bunch of stuff this week in ZGO Perfumery in San Francisco that has lots of great (mostly) niche stuff.

Wanted to revisit a number of houses I had sampled previously to see if anything jumped out this time around.

Smelled Roja Vetiver Parfum Cologne (what exactly is that concentration?) - nice opening, but faded on the spray strip in 15 minutes to a very weak and kind of flat scent.

Parfums de Nicolai's Vetyver EDT - again, nice but no wow factor.

Nishane's Sultan Vetiver Extrait de Parfum - nice opening but the aromachemical base was obvious and off-putting fairly soon.

I ended up buying Acqua di Scandola from Parfums D'Empire. It's a wonderful summery aquatic, but deceptively refined in that the Corsican founder/perfumer Marc Antoine Cortichiatto, wanted to develop an aquatic note without the use of calone. He took three years to develop the composition, including deriving the "sea" note from an algae extract. The result is an incredibly clean, airy, iodized and mineralic marine note, with an impeccably well-balanced substance, warmth, and grounding in immortelle and oakmoss. I've never smelled a fragrance that has such an airy overall character, but is simultaneously complex in it's lightness, with green garrigue, sun-on-skin (no sunscreen notes!), saltwater drying on stone.

Back to vetiver-based scents - I've never had an issue with Gerlain's performance/longevity?

Another very well done vetiver is Givenchy's Vetyver - just incredibly well balanced and an exceptional expression of vetiver (get an older bottle if you can). Much smoother than FM's.

Another outstanding one is "Oak Moss" from Abdes Salaam Attar/La Via Del Profumo. This in an stunning, pure expression of of vetiver (Vetiveryl acetate), sandalwood, and oakmoss.

JoyFan

Reaction score
My first post here and I'm already showing off my new perfume - BLACK ORCHID by Tom Ford. Awesome floral scent, my summer pick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads