• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

shoewarma

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've read as well. I've never smelled real oakmoss, but I have a good idea about what it smells like from fragrances like Parfums de Nicolai New York Intense, Guerlain Mitsouko, and Caron Le 3' Homme de Caron. I'm sure they probably all have synthetic oakmoss, which is fine because I don't have this attachment to the real stuff.

I'm curious to smell Rogue Perfumery's Mousse Illuminee. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it supposedly have real oakmoss?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if DS & Durga make a tobacco scent? I really like LL's Tabac, and may go for that, but wanted to see if my fav brand had anything similar. FWIW Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille are both a bit heavily sweet for me...again I know I'm using the word sweet, but I don't actually know what it means necessarily

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have Byredo Black Saffron? I have a sample of it which I really like, but the performance seems sub-par. So hard to tell without an actual atomizer, though.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Meleg uses real oak moss. It isn't banned in the USA and Canada. Rogue's stuff is great if you like a vintage vibe. If you want to get a sense of oak moss you can pick up a $5 container of Pinaud after shave lotion, which is just really an eau de toilette with real oak moss. Oak moss is great, but with it isn't blended well it can come across as overly soapy I feel.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lumiere Noire this morning. I just really love the rose in this...it's so different from the usual rose you get in fragrances, which are usually sharper or, in lesser frags, cloying. I can see how this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I appreciate it a lot.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plum Japonais this morning. Long-time favorite of mine. The dry-down really reminds me of the incense typically burning in shrines in Japan. Never really understood why they label this as feminine.

I had heard that they were discontinuing it, but apparently there was a lot of outcry to save it.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I bought a sample lot of Areej le Dore and Ensar Oud perfumes a little over a year ago to see what the hype was about and to smell natural ingredients in large doses. I was going to hang onto them for reference but I’ve started to use them up so they don’t turn or evaporate.

Indolis is one of the most beautiful perfumes I’ve ever smelled. It is melancholic which I think is an affect of large doses of natural floral oils. Id imagine this is what the long gone Guerlain Apres L’Ondee perfume parfum smells like. It’s a shame something like this can’t stay in production.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carner D600 today. I dunno, this one is kind of indistinct to me. I get a lot of iris and then some vaguely woody notes. I think this is another one I may be partially anosmic to. It's really hard for me to smell it at all.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm wearing Hermes Epice Marine today that I have a sample of. Really nice. I get a lot of cinnamon and some other spices. I think it would be great if you like spices/oriental smells and want to wear them in the summer. This has a powdery quality underneath. I bet this stuff is stupid expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads