• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sampled Coeur du Desert yesterday, sampling L'air du desert Morocain today. Tough to decide which I like better, but I'm leaning toward Coeur. Price isn't unreasonable on either, could see picking up a bottle once I'm no longer sheltering in place.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone dig any CDG scents?

Where do I start? The incense series is great, but so is their collaboration with Monocle. I also think their Odeur 71 is an avant garde masterpiece.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've only sample CGD fragrances at shops with a lot of other stuff, which isn't the optimal way to do it. I remember not being impressed, but I am aware they seem to be highly regarded in the niche market despite being a "big brand". I'd like to revisit them.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
A part of the culture surrounding Yatagan comes from a book SF user Manton has reviewed.

I bought a partial bottle of Do Son EDP. Something I’ve smelled every time a tester was in front of me but never purchased. I might like it more then Carnal Flower.When I first gained an interest in perfume I smelled something that made me thing tuberose was yellow, indolic and very wet. Maybe it just had a lot of jasmine but I’ll always be chasing that tuberose dragon.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Bronze Age Mindset, not referenced in it but fans of it have made a connection between the scent and book.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I’ve never smelled Yatagan so I couldn’t say. But I remember seeing bottles of the perfume next to the book when I first heard about it then sometime later saw Manton had reviewed it.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with that book, but I could certainly see how people who romanticize manly men of a bygone era might put Yatagan on a pedestal. Wasn't really aware that there were that sort of associations with it, kind of a shame, because it's a nice fragrance in itself.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can only agree that Yatagan is a very nice fragrance and perfectly wearable. One reason is perhaps that it's not shocking by today's standards, another reason might be that the current formula is not as powerful as it used to be. I had the chance to smell a vintage bottle from the 70s a few years ago and I remember it as much more strident and raw (possibly also more interesting).

shoewarma

Reaction score
Put on a few sprays of Guerlain L'Homme Ideal EDP and went for a drive. It gets a lot of stick for smelling mainstream, but I don't care. It's well made and doesn't smell generic on me at all. I get a lot of boozy cherry and almonds with a clear leather undertone. It's not a bland tonka bomb and that's why I love it.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have complained about this before, but...can I just say a pet peeve of mine is when fragrance sites have everything listed as "1.7 fl oz". I can't speak for every American but I know what 50ml is, and I have no idea how much 1.7 fl oz is. Imperial units are particularly useless for liquids, unless you're talking about beer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads