• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I look forward to smelling the Grossmith stuff some day.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't find Leather Oud and Oud Cuir Arabie to be even the slightest bit alike. The former is sweet and sharp and refined in the way of traditional french perfumery (and it doesn't really agree with me.) The latter is raw, with notes that resemble gasoline and 3rd world tanneries along with a sharp medicinal oud (and I love it.)

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I agree on the apples and oranges of the two leather/oud combos, but I find the Montale one to be much more true to its name.

Maquis

Reaction score
SOTD: Parfumerie Général 02 Cozé

Patchouli, licorice-root, clove, leather, unsweetened dark chocolate, fresh moist earth. Weird, and I love it.

I don't find Leather Oud and Oud Cuir Arabie to be even the slightest bit alike. The former is sweet and sharp and refined in the way of traditional french perfumery (and it doesn't really agree with me.) The latter is raw, with notes that resemble gasoline and 3rd world tanneries along with a sharp medicinal oud (and I love it.)

I have a sample of Oud Cuir Arabie, and I'm looking forward to spending some time with this one...

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: Bois Bourbon--one of the Decennial series celebrating Luckyscent's ten years in business. This is my second favorite from the series, behind Lys du Desert (but it's a close second). It's a boozy, spicy scent with almondy facets (heliotrope, I think) and a rich woody base.

SOTD: Coromandel. I don't wear it a lot, but when I do I'm reminded just how great this one is.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Tubereuse Criminelle

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some mornings I have an easy time getting the baby up and out of bed, others - not so much. I was starting to fear that it was scent-related: the last few times it was Yatagan and Antaeus that caused the fussy-baby business. Last night I had a hard time getting baby to sleep, and I didn't really think about it until after applying a healthy dose of Antaeus. Well, oops - guess we'll find out whether this is happenstance or she really doesn't like it.

Turned out she was so tired I didn't get any fight at all. So that's a win.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Pre-shower: Bois Bourbon--one of the Decennial series celebrating Luckyscent's ten years in business. This is my second favorite from the series, behind Lys du Desert (but it's a close second). It's a boozy, spicy scent with almondy facets (heliotrope, I think) and a rich woody base.
SOTD: Coromandel. I don't wear it a lot, but when I do I'm reminded just how great this one is.

Damn you. Now I have to place an order for samples at Lucky Scent. Here's what I've got so far - feel free (anyone) to add in any you think I might like:

4pk Lucky Scent 10th anniversary
Montale Cuir d Arabie
Divine L'Infini Homme

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Damn you. Now I have to place an order for samples at Lucky Scent. Here's what I've got so far - feel free (anyone) to add in any you think I might like:
4pk Lucky Scent 10th anniversary
Montale Cuir d Arabie
Divine L'Infini Homme

I don't know if you've tried these, but if not I'd definitely recommend them:

1. Chypre Palatin--MDCI. Stunning, high-quality chypre. It's got a classic feel, but you wouldn't mistake it for vintage; it's still modern.
2. Whips and Roses--Kerosene. I wasn't a big fan at first, but I've really come to like it. Sharp leathery scent; roses are in the background.
3. Bullion--Byredo. Rich, woody scent that opens up quite bright. Modern masculine. Designed for the Middle Eastern market, but honestly I don't pick up a distinctively Middle Eastern vibe.

I think Jour d'Hermes is really great, but I don't think you'd be a big fan. (It's definitely on the feminine side of the continuum.)

dune

Reaction score

Let's start by narrowing down the options a bit. Do you think you'd prefer something modern or something with a more classic feel? And would you prefer something sweet--like vanilla and amber--or something a little sharper and more bracing? Finally, do you have a maximum you're willing to pay? These don't exhaust the choices, of course, but just to get us in the ballpark.

On the modern end - and not too sweet. I don't even know what the price range is, but 'tis the season for expensive gifts I guess.

itaos

Reaction score
SOTD: Bond no. 9 New York Amber.

I put this on at 7:30am and it's almost 12 hours later and it still smells like I just sprayed it. The longevity of this fragrance is amazing and the projection is a monster. It is a perfect scent for a cold, winter day.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anyone tried the recent Lubin releases?
Or anything by Mona di Orio?

I haven't tried the new Lubins, but I have recently tried two Mona di Orios.

One of them is Rose Etoile de Hollande. I think the likelihood that you would enjoy it is pretty nearly zero! Peachy aldehydic rose with some geranium, also a little bit spicy (clove), very powdery in the drydown.

Other is Mona di Orio Oud. It's a smoother oud than most and balanced by some floral notes. I do think there's a decent chance you'd enjoy this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads