• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tonight: Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. Anyone else wear this stuff, or have ever tried it? I love it - it is very sophisticated and has a classic, almost old fashioned smell to it.

I agree 100%. I think I've mentioned this before, but I'm amazed at how complex this scent is. Of course it's got that classic citrusy cologne top, with ingredients that smell really high quality. But also at the top you get a soft floral sweetness. And there's also something resiny in there that's really unexpected.

Maquis

Reaction score

Tonight: Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. Anyone else wear this stuff, or have ever tried it? I love it - it is very sophisticated and has a classic, almost old fashioned smell to it.

I love it, as well! There seemed to be a light powdery note in the dry down, which to my nose makes it seem more sophisticated (wistful?) than some other standard, bright and happy EdCs. This is definitely on my To Buy list...

Has anyone tried Thierry Mugler Cologne? When I smelled it, all I could think of was Colonia Assoluta . I need to smell it more---the AdP may have more of that "old fashioned" vibe than the Mugler---but they did seem similar on first sniff...

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am wearing PdN Sacrebleu for the evening hours. (And if you say I'm not, you'll get the Spanish press.)

STATcurse

Reaction score
I love it, as well! There seemed to be a light powdery note in the dry down, which to my nose makes it seem more sophisticated (wistful?) than some other standard, bright and happy EdCs. This is definitely on my To Buy list...
Has anyone tried Thierry Mugler Cologne? When I smelled it, all I could think of was Colonia Assoluta . I need to smell it more---the AdP may have more of that "old fashioned" vibe than the Mugler---but they did seem similar on first sniff...
I have and love Thierry Mugler cologne. It is similar but more straighforward. The AdP is considerably more nuanced but both are great. Can't beat the price on the TM. And speaking of TM, it's Pure Malt today. I think I'm allowed to smell boozy on a Friday.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I need to try this. Chandler Burr, the perfume critic, has what is called the "Untitled Series" where he takes a perfume and bottles it anonymously so all you are able to do is appreciate its smell without preconceptions or packaging bias, and Mugler Cologne was one of them (the actual name of the perfume is divulged before the next Untitled is released).

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: Tauer Maroc pour Elle. I've tried many times to like this, but I just can't do it. The trademark Tauer sharpness--largely from the petit grain in this one, I think--is just too much for me.
SOTD: Datura Blanche. I've never had any trouble liking this one.

olivier.nyc

Reaction score
SOTD: Equipage, appropriate since I went to Hermes to check Rose Ikabena, which by the way is absolutely amazing, and was touted by the sales staff as 'hermenessence best selling worldwide'. I am not surprised...

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm glad you liked the Rose Ikebana! I'm not sure if you had a chance to notice this, but it also has remarkable longevity for such a light scent.

olivier.nyc

Reaction score

I'm glad you liked the Rose Ikebana! I'm not sure if you had a chance to notice this, but it also has remarkable longevity for such a light scent.

I have. I just check after 90mn it still have lots of head notes, or possibly the heart/base tie-in perfectly. Mmmm. Probably the latter :)

Maquis

Reaction score
Today: Vol de Nuit vintage parfum. Absolutely glorious.

Has anyone smelled the recent, non-vintage version? I'm curious as to the quality, cost, and availability...

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Today: Vol de Nuit vintage parfum. Absolutely glorious.

Has anyone smelled the recent, non-vintage version? I'm curious as to the quality, cost, and availability...

Where did you get your vintage?

I've got a sample of the recent Vol de Nuit and find it to be a beautiful perfume, but have no frame of reference to its predecessors.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Maquis, I hate the recent (EdT, I believe) version. It stands no chance to the vintage parfum.
HORNS: http://surrendertochance.com/guerlain-vol-de-nuit-vintage-pure-parfum/ (much cheaper than TPC).
Rocabar today.

Rocabar again? Is this a sign that you're liking it?

I just got a decant of Mona di Orio Oud in the mail today. (I got it at a very good price.) I just now put it on, so I haven't been able to follow its development. But based on what I've smelled so far, all I can say is Wow! This is outrageously good stuff.

Maquis

Reaction score
@HORNS, I received a small decant from Surrender to Chance.

I can't put my finger on it, but I'm really affected by this fragrance. I'd like to figure out how to get a FB, however a vintage 1 oz. bottle is going for almost $600 on eBay. Perhaps this is just a fluke, however (Baron pointed out that the Derby reissue I saw on ebay was quite a bit more than the shop he suggested I visit...) Because of this, however, I'm motivated to see if the new version is close enough! :D

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep L'Inc, I like it. It was even better yesterday with just the slightest lingering Ambre Sultan though. :laugh:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics