• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Weird, although not uncommon for folks to get differing reactions. I know someone who really goes for TDC Sel de Vetiver, it's slowly gaining a following. If you can get a sample it might fit the bill.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eidolon
(...)

I also have Mare coming to see if I can finally find a single "seawater" aquatic I actually like. Everything Issey has given me headaches and literally made my eyes water, and I seem to suck with aquatics in general (I don't really count Cool Water/GIT in this). Then again, I can wear Eau des Iles and Acier Aluminum and apparently get away with it on my skin, so maybe my skin just totally rejects aquatics but softens more masculine scents. Everyone talks about Acier Aluminum having a metal smell and being incredibly strong, but on me it's basically New York with less powder and more amber. It is a mystery.

Also you might check into Demeter Salt air (try Amazon or Demeter's web site) fairly inexpensive but linear.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - PdN Baladin. At first sniff it's slightly repulsive in a sour-bitter herbal way. After around five minutes some sweetness kicks in - just enough to balance the bitterness. An hour in I'm noticing some vetiver.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
It was supposed to be English Fern but I forgot and used Timbuktu.

Originally Posted by Thomas
Suddenly it feels like Sunday again. How did that happen?

smile.gif

I am not sure how it happened, but I made the same mistake today. I am sure I will get it right tomorrow.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
smile.gif

I am not sure how it happened, but I made the same mistake today. I am sure I will get it right tomorrow.

Not a mistake if you smell okay. Just something different.

Speaking of different, I allowed myself to be swayed by the guide and have gravitated towards the four-and five-star scents. While that's all well and good...the authors freely achnowledge that the reviews are based on personal tastes, and others may or may not agree.

So when Pasha got one star, I took it in stride, but still began to ignore it. Today, however, I saw the bottle with the domed cap and started spraying liberally. Fresh and minty. Light. I can see why folks might prefer, say, Guerlain Vetiver over this, but I like them both and will keep using Pasha. Until the next guide comes out.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montale Wood and Spices today. I forgot to shake the can before putting it on. I think Montales tend to separate a bit, especially the Ouds, so they need to be shaken or they will smell too light somehow.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
English Fern plus a late addition of Cuir de Russie thrown on top to try out.

Was that Chanel Cdr or Creed Cdr?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Was that Chanel Cdr or Creed Cdr?

Chanel
I tried it at the Chanel boutique on 57th street in NYC.

Apropos nothing, does anyone have any idea how to refill a non-refillable atomizer? Can you force stuff through the tube. This is a glass bottle where the top is crimped on.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Chanel
I tried it at the Chanel boutique on 57th street in NYC.

Apropos nothing, does anyone have any idea how to refill a non-refillable atomizer? Can you force stuff through the tube. This is a glass bottle where the top is crimped on.

Well, none of my ideas are non-destructive. I'm pretty good about prying them open but have never tried re-sealing them. I've made use of some 10 ml screw-top atomizers and then some larger vials or glass bottles for keeping the unused portions.

Alternately you could perhaps use some duct tape to re-establish a crimp, but it kind of takes away from the presentation.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, none of my ideas are non-destructive. I'm pretty good about prying them open but have never tried re-sealing them. I've made use of some 10 ml screw-top atomizers and then some larger vials or glass bottles for keeping the unused portions. Alternately you could perhaps use some duct tape to re-establish a crimp, but it kind of takes away from the presentation.
I will give it a shot. The bottle is an insert for a vintage purse atomzer for my wife. Guerlain no longer makes it for L'Heure Bleue for sale in the US and I know she doesn't care for the ones they do sell here. It might be available from Guerlain in France, though that would take work to find. In the meantime, there is no real harm in my handiwork looking ugly as the bottle fits inside another case and is invisible in use. This is what I have and what I want to replace (the external case isn't shown, but it looks like a cigarette lighter).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, that's a tough one, there. Nice bottle though.

Today: Parfums de Nicolai Baladin. Nice, but I doubt I'll buy another bottle if I use this one up. It's herbal and grassy, but never quite develops as much substance as I'd like.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, that's a tough one, there. Nice bottle though.
That's just the refill - it is meant to be disposable. It fits inside a case that is just like this
one.
Today: Parfums de Nicolai Baladin. Nice, but I doubt I'll buy another bottle if I use this one up. It's herbal and grassy, but never quite develops as much substance as I'd like.
English Fern, as if you hadn't guessed.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - another wearing of Baladin. Still trying to get my head around this one. It never seems to open up and relax. Most masculine scents tend to go through phases where they start sitting upright, and then lean back and finally drape their arms along the back of the couch. Baladin stays upright the entire time. It goes from being perched on the edge of the chair to seated normally, and never moves from there. This is a strange one, and now I know why it's been practically ignored.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads