• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I have not tried Angel, only know it by reputation, so I cannot comment. But judging from your post, it doesn't sound promising. How did this sort of thing happen?

Angel is a pretty distinct and weird scent that, for me is a bit of a time and space marker. I knew a girl who wore it all the time. My wife also wore it a lot, though not much when I met her. By then, she had been solidly in the Chanel camp as her "permanent" choice with Bvlgari Green Tea recently added as her main daily. But she had kept her old refillable Angel star bottle around. Eventually, she decided to take it to Bloomingdales to get it refilled like she had done for years and years. No more. Now they sell you a fancy refill bottle. Once she refilled it, she needed to do something with it, which apparently meant corrupting our children.

Part of the significance of Angel is how unusual and weird it is from a perfumer's perspective. It seems to make no sense. At the time it came out, I gather, it was revolutionary. It is still quite unusual and distinct, but I doubt it would have the same mind-blowing factor for you now that it did then. In any case, it is the opposite of a JCE scent.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rive Gauche Intense today....great business scent.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Rive Gauche Intense today....great business scent.

How is RGI different from Rive Gauche? I'm only familiar with the latter, and it's very unobtrusive. Good background scent, but not quite compelling enough for me to wear it regularly.

Speaking of compelling, today I'm wearing Nicole Miller for Men. This was discontinued but apparently it's due for re-issue. It's not my normal fare - boozy and fruity - but for some reason I'm liking this.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: warm and humid and after a hard morning run I wanted something dry and cool. Guerlain Vetiver fit the bill, perfectly.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
TDC Rose PoivrÃ
00a9.png
e. Now that my wife admitted that she can't stand it, I have decided to offend non-family members with it.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
TDC Rose PoivrÃ
00a9.png
e. Now that my wife admitted that she can't stand it, I have decided to offend non-family members with it.

I love The Different Company!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
How is RGI different from Rive Gauche? I'm only familiar with the latter, and it's very unobtrusive. Good background scent, but not quite compelling enough for me to wear it regularly.

Speaking of compelling, today I'm wearing Nicole Miller for Men. This was discontinued but apparently it's due for re-issue. It's not my normal fare - boozy and fruity - but for some reason I'm liking this.

It is much stronger and on my skin it will last for 36 hours.
When I say stronger, I mean more intense and has much greater sillage.
I highly recomend RGI, it is a scent anyone can wear, and I have never smelled it on anyone else.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Hello, I'm entirely new here, just wanted to get some suggestions.

So, I'm a guy and want an Eau De Toilette that is both manly and long lasting. Something that says I eat four bull's testicles daily and I'm oozing with testosterone.

I like Armani Attitude but it barely lasts a couple of hours. Is there anything which lasts a whole day?

It needs to be readily available too (would have tried RGI suggested above, but I can't find it anywhere in the UK).

Any suggestions? All appreciated!

eidolon

Reaction score
Mure et Musc Extreme, L'Artisan Parfumeur I've never had a cologne where a major note (or any note) was blackberries/mulberries, and that berry smell blends pretty well with the musk. Opens up pretty much unisex, but the dry down is masculine.
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
Something that says I eat four bull's testicles daily and I'm oozing with testosterone.
Bvlgari Black?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
...hmmm. a few options present themselves:

Caron Yatagan is a good starter but - reports about that the re-formulated this and took its balls away. Stick with old stock if at all possible.
Hermes Bel Ami is another dry spicy winner.
If you're in London, stop by the Ormonde Jayne boutique and sample Ormonde Man. Love that one.
Chanel Antaeus is masculine with a bit more finesse.
Lauder for Men is also worth a shot if you can find it. I've not tried that one but I hear tell it's manly.
If you don't mind polluting others' scent space - try Giorgio for Men (recently re-issued in the yellow and white box). Huge and Fabio-manly
Not too far from GFM you'll find Estee Lauder Azuree, or possibly Aramis. Kind of fem opening but the drydown is masculine.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Back in Chanel Antaeus. For some reason, I just wasn't feeling like anything else.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
TDC Rose PoivrÃ
00a9.png

Same. Might as well run through the stuff.
Now she is asking me to wait until I get to the office before putting it on. I am starting to get the message. She doesn't like it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Now she is asking me to wait until I get to the office before putting it on.
I am starting to get the message. She doesn't like it.

laugh.gif
Wow. I have never gotten that request before. Was this bottle from early production???

Today - EL Azuree. Kind of like Giorgio for men, except brighter, A Mossy-lemony-woody powerhouse that throws like Nolan Ryan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads