Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: a heaping helping of Giorgio for Men. I am manly man, smell me roar!

Still a great scent. Or is that "GRRRREAT!!!"

2. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Lutens Borneo 1834 today.

3. afam

afam Member

4. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Today is Floris day....Santal....yummy for summer.

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

TDC Rose PoivrÃ[​IMG]e

In other news, my wife has appropriated my bottle of Timbuktu for herself. I still get to wear it, but now it is more work.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

TDC Rose PoivrÃ[​IMG]e

In other news, my wife has appropriated my bottle of Timbuktu for herself. I still get to wear it, but now it is more work.

[​IMG] At least you know she likes it.

Morning - Off Skintastic bug repellent.
    afternoon - Chanel Pour Monsieur
    evening - Chanel for Men cologne (vintage)

They all smell too similar for my liking.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Still a great scent. Or is that "GRRRREAT!!!"

Miracle of miracles, Elizabeth Arden did not ruin this one. The re-issue smells as good as the original. I would not have complained if they had kept the formula the same but dialed back the intensity, though. In fact, more than once I've considered decanting a portion and cutting it with everclear, just to make it a bit more wearable. GFM has immense throw and is bound to find anyone who's allergic (oakmoss) within 10 yards. Not really safe for office wear for densely populated offices.

Today: Nina Ricci Signoricci. Lemon submerged in icewater. A light, beautiful scent.

8. dopey

English Fern

BTW, as an early indicator of parenting gone wrong, my eight year old, who is not allowed to wear makeup except for lip glass when she has friends over, now wears Angel when she dresses up on the weekends. That is my wife's fault.

I call it parenting gone wrong because she used to like Boise Farine, a JC Ellena composition for L'Artisan Parfumeur.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

English Fern

BTW, as an early indicator of parenting gone wrong, my eight year old, who is not allowed to wear makeup except for lip glass when she has friends over, now wears Angel when she dresses up on the weekends. That is my wife's fault.

(...)I call it parenting gone wrong because she used to like Boise Farine, a JC Ellena composition for L'Artisan Parfumeur.

I have not tried Angel, only know it by reputation, so I cannot comment. But judging from your post, it doesn't sound promising. How did this sort of thing happen?

10. dopey

I have not tried Angel, only know it by reputation, so I cannot comment. But judging from your post, it doesn't sound promising. How did this sort of thing happen?

Angel is a pretty distinct and weird scent that, for me is a bit of a time and space marker. I knew a girl who wore it all the time. My wife also wore it a lot, though not much when I met her. By then, she had been solidly in the Chanel camp as her "permanent" choice with Bvlgari Green Tea recently added as her main daily. But she had kept her old refillable Angel star bottle around. Eventually, she decided to take it to Bloomingdales to get it refilled like she had done for years and years. No more. Now they sell you a fancy refill bottle. Once she refilled it, she needed to do something with it, which apparently meant corrupting our children.

Part of the significance of Angel is how unusual and weird it is from a perfumer's perspective. It seems to make no sense. At the time it came out, I gather, it was revolutionary. It is still quite unusual and distinct, but I doubt it would have the same mind-blowing factor for you now that it did then. In any case, it is the opposite of a JCE scent.

11. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Rive Gauche Intense today....great business scent.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Rive Gauche Intense today....great business scent.

How is RGI different from Rive Gauche? I'm only familiar with the latter, and it's very unobtrusive. Good background scent, but not quite compelling enough for me to wear it regularly.

Speaking of compelling, today I'm wearing Nicole Miller for Men. This was discontinued but apparently it's due for re-issue. It's not my normal fare - boozy and fruity - but for some reason I'm liking this.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today: warm and humid and after a hard morning run I wanted something dry and cool. Guerlain Vetiver fit the bill, perfectly.

14. dopey

TDC Rose PoivrÃ[​IMG]e. Now that my wife admitted that she can't stand it, I have decided to offend non-family members with it.

15. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

TDC Rose PoivrÃ[​IMG]e. Now that my wife admitted that she can't stand it, I have decided to offend non-family members with it.
    I love The Different Company!