• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not today, but I have been wearing Ma Griffe, lately. I really wonder what this smelled like when t was created. It is interesting, and I like it, but as it slid down the discount lader and was reformulated for cost and in loco parentis compliance, it must be only a shell of its former self.
And it had one hell of an ad for what is now thought of as an "old lady" scent:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Way to go and GAY IT ALL UP on us Cupcake!

I notice you didn't disagree with my judgment!

And it wasn't even me to bring teh **** to SOTD. :)

I feel I should contribute, though, so I'll wear Chanel Coco today. it's sort of what I could picture Dame edna wearing (haha)

I'll try to keep the momentum going with Calyx, aka the queen of the fruity florals.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sorry to break up the cycle, but today I tried out De Bachmakov by TDC. Kind of a slightly sweet green scent. Not a fan.

That's a shame. I've not tried it, but have found the "core" TDC scents to be absolutely "genre-definers." Bois d'iris as a wonderful iris scent, Sel de vetiver as a very unique vetiver (Dopey swears by this one!), and Jasmin de nuit as perhaps the best jasmin I've e'er smelled. Osmanthus, too, is a lovely light, fresh floral. And then there is Rose Poivree, too!

I havent tried their newer releases, so it's too bad if they are turning lackluster. :(

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sorry to break up the cycle, but today I tried out De Bachmakov by TDC. Kind of a slightly sweet green scent. Not a fan.

That's too bad. I've been interested to try this because I generally like Jean-Claude Ellena's style, and I've read that De Bachmakov is in line with that.

Speaking of TDC, has anyone tried the new Oud Shamash?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

That's too bad. I've been interested to try this because I generally like Jean-Claude Ellena's style, and I've read that De Bachmakov is in line with that.

Speaking of TDC, has anyone tried the new Oud Shamash?

Don't take my review as being negative. I have a feeling you'd like this one.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don't take my review as being negative. I have a feeling you'd like this one.

Good to know, thanks. I'll probably give it a try next time I order samples. I have to say, though, the prices for the TDCs are crazy. It would have to be an amazing fragrance to justify the purchase of anything more than a small sample.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Good to know, thanks. I'll probably give it a try next time I order samples. I have to say, though, the prices for the TDCs are crazy. It would have to be an amazing fragrance to justify the purchase of anything more than a small sample.

Is it any crazier than the prices we see from Amouage, Creed, etc.. Hell, BillyD is trying to split up some **** from Europe that works out to over $60 for 10ml. Now THAT'S ******* expensive.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, you're right. It's just that in the past I've been able to find some TDCs at very reasonable prices, so when I looked at the prices for the new ones I was taken aback. I would never have any expectation of finding Amouage at a reasonable price!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Is it any crazier than the prices we see from Amouage, Creed, etc.. Hell, BillyD is trying to split up some **** from Europe that works out to over $60 for 10ml. Now THAT'S ******* expensive.

Jeeeeeeeeez. That's so far over my ceiling it's not even visible to the naked eye.

For some strange reason - despite this month of 100+ afternoons...every. damn. day...I've had to force myself to wear the lighter summer fare. Today: Guerlain Pampelune. First time I've worn it since Easter. Very satisfying.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not today, but I have been wearing Ma Griffe, lately. I really wonder what this smelled like when t was created. It is interesting, and I like it, but as it slid down the discount lader and was reformulated for cost and in loco parentis compliance, it must be only a shell of its former self.
And it had one hell of an ad for what is now thought of as an "old lady" scent:

One of the classics I've been curious about. I don't really know much about it - what does it smell like?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jeeeeeeeeez. That's so far over my ceiling it's not even visible to the naked eye.

For some strange reason - despite this month of 100+ afternoons...every. damn. day...I've had to force myself to wear the lighter summer fare. Today: Guerlain Pampelune. First time I've worn it since Easter. Very satisfying.

^Rach would be so proud.

He would! One of my faves for summer, a lovely grapefruit with a hint of funk thanks to some needed patchouli in the base.

I'll see your stinky citrus today, T, and go with Cartier Declaration. It's not as good as my "real" fave stinky citrus Malle BC, but I ran out of my bottle and simply don't want to spend $200+ on any fragrance these days. Not to mention that in Japan it would be closer to $300. I like it, but not THAT much.

Besides, when there is Declaration, Eau d'hermes and pamplelune on the market, I'd rather have 800 mls of the former three than 100mls of the Malle for the same price. There is also Rochas Moustache... which isn't technically a citrus... but the lime in the top and teh civet in the bottom gives it some wonderful zest and stink. :)

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lutens Clair de Musc for me today.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

One of the classics I've been curious about. I don't really know much about it - what does it smell like?

Mitsuoko. I can give you a longer answer but it won't be more informative.

damn. I wanted to check my memory and make sure I wasn't misleading you and I spilled Mitsuoko PP all over the bathroom floor. I will have some splainin to do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads