• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
laugh.gif
Nicely done sir

Dane - I go with what I know
mwink[1].gif

I am not good at picking out individual notes. Half the time when I try I end up with the wrong thing anyways. Usually, I just try and figure out what "type" of thing it smells like. I told a Creed rep once that one of her fragrances smelled like somebody rubbed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on my arm. Needless to say, that was the last sample I received from her. Timbuktu might be good for the winter but it's a bit too much with all the humidity down here.

Trying out Creed Royal Scottish Lavender today. Thomas I've never heard of Tauer before. How would you rate their fragrances? Anything else worth trying?

Creed PB&J! I love this! FWIW - I've yet to find a Creed that I've fallen for. Some are good, some are mneh, and some are revolting. Ah well. How do you like the Lavender?

Tauer: Andy Tauer is a Swiss chemist who took a whirl on making scents and produces a small number of scents (and charges a bundle IMHO, but not much more than Creed iirc). I think he has a blog going, but I've not read it. Orris was a limited-edition release that is all gone now, and is interesting as an exercise in perfumery - marrying opposing scents: oud/iris.

I think Tauer's best-known scent is L'Air du Desert Marocain which is really quite good: a dry spicy cedar. Lonestar Memories is very polarizing - some love it, others detest it. I think the others that he produces tend towards the florals and have not sampled them. I think Luckyscent carries the line and sells samples.

Worth trying outside of Tauer? For the summertime: Guerlain Vetiver, Signoricci or Eau Sauvage, Burt's Bees Bay Rum (cheap but fantastic). At least that's what comes up at the top of my head, for now.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Creed PB&J! I love this! FWIW - I've yet to find a Creed that I've fallen for. Some are good, some are mneh, and some are revolting. Ah well. How do you like the Lavender? Tauer: Andy Tauer is a Swiss chemist who took a whirl on making scents and produces a small number of scents (and charges a bundle IMHO, but not much more than Creed iirc). I think he has a blog going, but I've not read it. Orris was a limited-edition release that is all gone now, and is interesting as an exercise in perfumery - marrying opposing scents: oud/iris. I think Tauer's best-known scent is L'Air du Desert Marocain which is really quite good: a dry spicy cedar. Lonestar Memories is very polarizing - some love it, others detest it. I think the others that he produces tend towards the florals and have not sampled them. I think Luckyscent carries the line and sells samples.
Thanks for the profile. I'm planning on hitting up LuckyScent in the near future for samples. I'll add your recommendations to my ever expanding list. I agree with you on the Creeds. I've tried almost all of them and the only one that I've liked even mildly so far has been the Royal English Leather. I'm not much of a lavender man so I don't know how I'm going to like this. I haven't hit the dry down yet so it's still a bit on the floral side.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My twenty dollars with of samples came today...don't know what to do with myself...agh...

Just rubbed on CDG 3...first whiff didn't do too much for me..two minutes later it's getting more complicated, like skin and a flower..

The other scents in my order:
CdG Series 7 Nomad Tea - supposedly smells like hemp and iced and honey sweeteend green tea
Cdg White
CdG Series 4: Anbar have yet to read a review about this that isn't glowing
L'artisan: Dzongkha - Rach suggested this, description seemed appealing
Boudicca Wode - Prime earthy greenyness

Dane

Reaction score
Thanks for the profile. I'm planning on hitting up LuckyScent in the near future for samples. I'll add your recommendations to my ever expanding list.

I agree with you on the Creeds. I've tried almost all of them and the only one that I've liked even mildly so far has been the Royal English Leather. I'm not much of a lavender man so I don't know how I'm going to like this. I haven't hit the dry down yet so it's still a bit on the floral side.

It's hard to pick out notes...it took me years to be able to put what I was thinking about smells into words.

I'm not crazy about Creed...definitely not worth the money, and since there are so many fakes on the discount-market, I wouldn't advise that route either.

If you're ordering from Luckyscent, make sure you try the Heeley line....they have some really excellent scents, and for the most part are good for summer. Verveine is on my wishlist.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
To a hammer, the world look like a nail.
Originally Posted by Thomas
I really should sig this, but it's too smart for my metier. Anyone else?
Originally Posted by Dane
Done and done. Well said frankly.
wink.gif

Thanks guys, but I hardly deserve credit. I was paraphrasing Abraham Maslow's Law of the Instrument. Given Rambo and Dane's colloquy, the original (1962) formulation is even more apt: "When the only tool you have is a hammer, it is tempting to treat everything as if it were a nail."

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
I'm not crazy about Creed...definitely not worth the money
^
Blasphemy.

I've been wearing the following for the past couple days:

Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil, Creed M.I.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you're ordering from Luckyscent, make sure you try the Heeley line....they have some really excellent scents, and for the most part are good for summer. Verveine is on my wishlist.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add it to my wishlist. The Royal Scottish Lavender ended up being fair. I'm not really a lavender man and this isn't a clear winner so it's going back in the sample bag. BigPun - What do you mean by aquatic?

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Then maybe you could recommend me something to replace it? A similar fresh aquatic scent anyway.

Voyage by Nautica (not Island Voyage...or any other Voyage...just the original.)

Dane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Then maybe you could recommend me something to replace it? A similar fresh aquatic scent anyway.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add it to my wishlist.

The Royal Scottish Lavender ended up being fair. I'm not really a lavender man and this isn't a clear winner so it's going back in the sample bag.

BigPun - What do you mean by aquatic?

I'm not a big lavender person either...the only one I've found that I liked enough to buy was Caron Pour Un Homme. Etat Libre's Antiheros is nice though if you want a very simple lavender.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a big lavender person either...the only one I've found that I liked enough to buy was Caron Pour Un Homme. Etat Libre's Antiheros is nice though if you want a very simple lavender.

Actually, I do dig lavender, and Pour Un Homme is quite good regardless of your lavender leanings. Guerlain Jicky likewise blends the lavender into a larger, more interesting whole.

For starker lavenders - Caldey Island lavender is a pretty brawny lavender IMHO.

BTW: Today - Guerlain Heritage. Finally starting to see through the layers of this one, and it's less interesting than I was hoping.

Seattle Bits

Reaction score
I rcvd my order from theperfumedcourt (very quick) and tried on Creed MI last night (wife's blind pick). Very clean, fresh scent. I could smell the citrus and some type of green note (like what hits you in Polo...dunno what its called). After drydown, it seemed to smell like baby powder and flowers. Definately a unisex smell that I think would be better off on a woman than me. I asked the wife what she thought and she said that it smelled very clean but flowery and also stated that it wasn't very masculine.

One bit that surprises me though is that a lot of people say that it doesn't last. I put MI on after my shower at 8pm and I can still smell it this morning. Weird?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
questionsgems