• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trying some new samples.

Room 1015's Yesterday: A fresh, citrusy, floral. Opening has a lot of bergamont. Mid is a combo of geranium, lavender, and apple. Drydown has a bit of vetiver, but that citrus-floral accord really defines the fragrance all the way through. I like it. It's inoffensive and easy to wear, but also feels kind of generic. There a million companies with ever-so-slightly different takes on this same fragrance. I haven't compared the two yet, but the scent also kinda reminds me of CK One. And I think I'd prefer this without the green apple note. That note always feels too young to me.

Carner Barcelona's Tardes: Supposedly a women's scent, but the opening feels very brash and masculine in a retro 1970s way to me. Floral, woody, musk. bit of rose and almond (love the second, ambivalent about the first, although this is one of few rose scents I don't dislike). Mid and dry down are a little powdery because of that rose. I think of the Carners I've tried so far, I like El Born the best.

Berdoues's Hoja de Cuba: Allspice, vetiver, and tobacco. Warm and spicy, with that good side of tobacco that doesn't smell like the bottom of an ashtray. It's really good, albeit simple and straightforward. I just wish it stayed longer. Don't know the concentration, but this almost disappears off my skin after thirty minutes.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trying some new samples.

Berdoues's Hoja de Cuba: Allspice, vetiver, and tobacco. Warm and spicy, with that good side of tobacco that doesn't smell like the bottom of an ashtray. It's really good, albeit simple and straightforward. I just wish it stayed longer. Don't know the concentration, but this almost disappears off my skin after thirty minutes.

Interesting to see Berdoues on the radar. I managed to splash my way through a few half-liters of their original EdC over the years.

They have long been a nice "go to" for giant, inexpensive EdCs (think 4711, but way better). Nice that they are trying to create some new buzz and more interesting/dynamic scents.

SOTD: Cartier L'envol. My more-or-less final verdict after wearing it multiple times over the last few months is that it's GOOD, but not great. I like it, and find it intriguing... but I never find myself loving it.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting to see Berdoues on the radar. I managed to splash my way through a few half-liters of their original EdC over the years.

They have long been a nice "go to" for giant, inexpensive EdCs (think 4711, but way better). Nice that they are trying to create some new buzz and more interesting/dynamic scents.

SOTD: Cartier L'envol. My more-or-less final verdict after wearing it multiple times over the last few months is that it's GOOD, but not great. I like it, and find it intriguing... but I never find myself loving it.

So is everything from Berdoues EDC? I thought the sample I have might be, but wasn't sure. It disappeared really quickly.

Testing out some stuff from Gallivant today, a relatively new line based around cities and traveling.

Gallivant's London: Strong, dry rose surrounded by cucumber, violet, and maybe a bit of patchouli? It's weirdly watery but dry. Like the stem of a rose. Not too jammy or powdery, and one of the few roses I don't mind. Someone on Fragrantica described it as the smell inside a glossy magazine and ... that's a pretty good description.

Gallivant Brooklyn: Much more cheerful. This one is zesty and citrusy, with lots of bright floral notes in the mid and some musk at the base. Feels like a fizzy drink mixed with pulpy orange juice. I get lemon, bergamont, white woods, ozonic notes, and some magnolia. Kind of tart. An easy crowd pleaser and more interesting than most, but for that kind of zesty, cocktail vibe, I think I like Olfactive Studio better.

Gallivant's Tel Aviv: Fruity floral with the heart being more floral. I get bergamont, jasmine, ylang ylang, and some sandalwood. It's dusty without being powdery, sweet without being overly feminine. Described on their site as "gold jewelry on tanned skin with lingering 1970s glamour." This is exactly what I imagine that sort of person would smell like strolling down some beachy area of a city.

Overall, they're all quite nice. They have a very classic French perfumery feel and seem like easy crowd pleasers without being generic. I just don't think I'd personally wear them all that often.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So is everything from Berdoues EDC? I thought the sample I have might be, but wasn't sure. It disappeared really quickly.

I think some are EdT, but again I don't know the full range of the company in any detail. In general, my stuff from them was pretty fleeting, hence how I could go through such big bottles. I just literally bathed in the stuff.

L'aP Traversee du Bosphore for me today. So unique and wonderful, with so many facets. When you read multiple descriptions, you get everything from "leathery" to "sugary sweet" to "woodsy and warm." Everybody gets a different facet from it, and depending on weather/temperature, it changes on the skin through drydown.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The last two days have been me reexamining Gucci Pour Homme, Tom Ford era. It’s pretty near a perfect “office scent” with its bone-dry cedar and incense. But man, it is not worth the price that bottles now have. I think Comme des Garcons 2 is a perfect alternative.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Odin New York 07 Tanoke reminds me a lot of GPH.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Arquiste's Architect's Club today. Marketing copy has something about architects going to some lounge after work for drinks, in a clubhouse filled with leather, wood, and something or other. Sounded really good, but the scent seemed unusually simple. Opening is bright and fresh with pepper, juniper, and some citrus. Mid and base are vanilla, wood, and musk. For the fancy description, I was expecting something a bit darker, more brooding, and complex. Also expected hints of smoke and leather, which I don't get from this. It's a nice daytime scent though. And I love vanilla notes. Just doesn't last very long and is expensive at $190/ bottle.

Also, disappointed to hear Apoteker Tepe closed. I thought their After the Flood and Pale Fire scents were pretty good. The first is straight out weird with a wet and mossy mushroom smell, but I like it. Pale fire is like rum, oakmoss, cocoa, and amber. I think it's nice, but it gets surprisingly mixed reviews online. Anyway, some stockists left here and there, listed on Tepe's site, for those interested.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They've clearly never met any real architects... ;)

:lol:

I think I'll do Must de Cartier today. The current version is definitely less funky than the original, but it still does a decent job of showing the clash that made MdC so revolutionary back in the 1980's... a green oriental that somehow keeps from descending into chaos.

Last edited:

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Room 1015's Yesterday: It's inoffensive and easy to wear, but also feels kind of generic. There a million companies with ever-so-slightly different takes on this same fragrance.

I grabbed a sample of their Electric Wood like a year ago based on the marketing copy. God it was so basic. Some "baby's first fragrance" type wood smell

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Going through some more samples today:

Jardins d'Ecrivains' Junky:
Supposedly inspired by William Bouroughs and writers of the Beat Generation. I bought this cause I thought it was going to smell a bit stinky, hippie, and bohemian, maybe with hints of cannabis, incense, and hemp (hemp is also listed in the notes). Instead, I got the exact opposite. This smells like the soap dish in some suburban home, the kind with flowery wallpaper and that weirdly carpeted thing on the toilet seat. It's soapy and floral, with gardenia, iris, and violet. The slightest hint of wood in the background that anchors everything down. Perfectly fine, but surprisingly safe, especially given the edgy marketing copy. Smells like something an older woman would wear to brunch after playing tennis.

Jeroboam's Miksado: Incredibly rich and thick, with lots of saffron, cedar, patchouli, vanilla, and musk. Hints of dry, sticky fruit and maybe some oud. This sort of feels like Slumberhouse in the way it's so powerful and rich. And like Slumberhouse, I'm not sure when I would really wear this. It falls outside of any wardrobe style/ occasion I can think of, and sort of feels like some standalone thing. An interesting composition though. Online, people say this lasts forever, although I'm only a few hours in.

Jeroboam's Insulo: A lot lighter than Miksado, but it still has that thick, rich sensibility. I get jasmine and vanilla with a bit of white musk. There's also something chocolatey about this scent, like a white chocolate dusted with powder. Meh.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These last 2-3 pages are one of the times that I have absolutely no idea the house, scent, or anything else about what you guys are sampling. haha. I'm out of the mix! Need to get out and sniff more new juice. ;)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Three more samples

Kerosene's Follow: Really into coffee fragrances recently. This one is heavy on the coffee grinds smell, maybe mixed with a bit of pastries. There's vanilla, tonka bean, and amber. A bit of a sweet maple sap note. Some caramel. This is like dry roasted coffee grinds with a small glaze of sugar. It's a very dry, dark, and bitter scent and less Christmas-y/ marzipan-y than Feve. And unlike Carner's El Born, different enough from Feve that I kind of want to get a bottle. Really good!

Piotr Czarnecki's Shihan: Another coffee fragrance, but a lot more oriental. There's whisky, amber, incense, leather, tobacco, coffee, cinnamon, and a lot of dry, peppery spice. The spice plays a much bigger role here than the coffee -- coffee is very much a background note -- and it feels heavy on cinnamon and incense. It has a similar sensibility to some Attar fragrances, but given that it's synthetic, lasts longer. Has a bit of a Dr. Pepper feel at the base. I really like this one.

Dasein's Winter Nights: The opening on this is really harsh, but it nicely settles after about thirty minutes. Lots of pine, cedar, cardamom, and lavender. Like getting pine sap on your skin. Nice scent, but sometimes that pine note can be a bit overpowering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads