1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

I've been wearing Imaginary Authors lately.

Yesterday was Slow Explosions. It opens up quite leathery, but develops from there into a very pleasant saffron rose.

Today is O Unknown. This is one of the best scents I've tried in the last few months. It's powdery at the top, but develops into something tangy (that might be oakmoss) and sweet (tolu balsam, I think).

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

Yea, his is the only fragrance YouTube channel I watch on a regular basis. A bit more down to earth than some of the other guys, and informative without being too long winded.

Some new ones lately:

Carner Barcelona Sandor 70s: Vetiver, tobacco, sage, leather, and cedar. A hint of jasmine and vanilla in there to round it out. The tobacco here smells a bit like the bottom of an ashtray, which gives it an old school masculine vibe. I like it, but don't know if I'd wear it often. A bit too macho for me, I think. Also wish the brightness in the opening -- a bit of saltiness and bergamont? -- lasted longer. For some reason, the opening feels very Californian to me, which I like.

Mendittorosa's Omega: A bit warm, powdery, and floral. Faint traces of cedar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Like the others in this series, kind of medicinal. Disappears very quickly and I think I like Alfa better.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018

3. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Distinguished Member

I'm a huge fan of the Sixers (which, admittedly, has been an uphill struggle since 1981...) so of course I read NY Times interview with Joel Embiid with great interest. In it Embiid said:

“I wear this cologne called Baccarat [Baccarat Rouge 540], it’s really good. It’s probably the best I’ve ever had, that’s what I wear a lot. And then I like Creed, I like Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent is pretty good, too, and then Montblanc sometimes. I mix it up every day. Women love when a man smells really good so, you know, I’ve always got to smell good. Every time a woman approaches me, she feels so connected to me because I smell so good.”

So now I have to buy Francis Kurkdjian's Baccarat Rouge 540. Haven't tried it before but I understand that it's dominated by woody scents (amberwood, cedar, fir).

What's the verdict of the experts?

4. dieworkwear

Not sure if I've tried Baccarat Rouge, but I haven't really liked anything I've sampled from the company. A couple of the ouds are OK, although challenging to wear. The woody and citrusy scents feel a bit generic to me, although they're also easy reaches.

I like their packaging though.

5. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

On their website they list Kyoto Moss among the notes. Not sure what that is. But if its mossy, I'm interested. Added to my sample list

6. James1051

For the love of Mike, its snowing again! I am consoling myself today with sandalwood and rose. Started with Amouage Majan attar. Tonight will layer on some Mohur extrait.

7. James1051

Haven't tried it, but had to upvote your nod to the Sixers.

8. James1051

All in on roses this weekend. Its a controversial note with guys, some of whom get powder from the rose. For me rose is a mash of citrus, greenery and vanilla. I think that powdery aspect usually comes from jasmine, with which rose is often paired--but not always.

Neila Vermeire Mohur extrait, last night and today. To me this is the best contemporary rose out there. No powder. All rose and sandalwood, with a bit of cardamom to add some bitter. Deep and longgg.

9. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I love the rose/Jasmine/bitter orange in habit rouge sport

10. dieworkwear

Rose to me often smells too much like old ladies. Although I like Shalimar, maybe more in concept than actual practical wearing, and that has rose.

11. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

Shams Oud by Memo today.

Intensely herbal with a PUNCH of smoke - delicious, can’t get enough of it!

12. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Mohur Extrait is fantastic.

13. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Try one of the indolic roses like Rose Poivree or see if you can get a sniff of older JOY extrait by Patou. Maybe also try L'aP VdR. They are pretty incredible roses that don't smell like old ladies, except maybe Marlene Dietrich. ;)

And FTR I'm with you on Kurkdjian, though the two he did for Dior Homme (Cologne Blanche and Eau Noire) were pretty neat for the time.

Think I'll do Cuir Beluga (Guerlain) today.

14. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Distinguished Member

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver for me today. Trying to transition into my lighter smells ready for Spring.

15. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Last night I was home by myself and reading about different safety razor blades as well as looking for new shaving soap (I’ve always usd Mitchell’s), so I decided to wear a shitload of Knize Ten because it fit the mood. I also have a cold so I wore enough to push through the mucous covering my olfactory bulb.