• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tried on the Le Labo City Exclusive Cuir 28 yesterday and found it to be a pretty lame leather, with a drydown that was essentially a smoky vetiver like Sycomore - of course Sycomore is incredible, but it doesn't pretend to be a leather.

Today: Iris 39.

Where did you get a sample of that?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tried on the Le Labo City Exclusive Cuir 28 yesterday and found it to be a pretty lame leather, with a drydown that was essentially a smoky vetiver like Sycomore - of course Sycomore is incredible, but it doesn't pretend to be a leather.

Today: Iris 39.

Where did you get a sample of that?

Barneys is selling, for a short period of time and beginning in a week, the city exclusives from other Le Labos. The one in San Francisco has only the tester right now.

I also went by the Diptyque shop and got a sample of the Tam Dao EdP - very good stuff, with a slight lime opening.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Barneys is selling, for a short period of time and beginning in a week, the city exclusives from other Le Labos. The one in San Francisco has only the tester right now.

I also went by the Diptyque shop and got a sample of the Tam Dao EdP - very good stuff, with a slight lime opening.

Does the one in SF have the other city exclusives? I need to call the lady that helps us

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Does the one in SF have the other city exclusives? I need to call the lady that helps us

They have most. I don't think they have the Chicago one.

Oh, and it's $290 for 50 ml.

Last edited:

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wore Paco Rabanne today in 102 degree Texas heat and quite liked it. The fragrance, not the heat.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another sale, another FB binge. Combined with birthday and Fathers Day presents, here's what I've bought in the past day or so:

Idole EDT
Opus III
Lyric Man
Atlas Cedar
Terre de Sarment
Poivre Piquant
Cour de Vetiver
Seville a l'aube.
Genie des Bois

Better put my wallet away for a while, I think.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another sale, another FB binge. Combined with birthday and Fathers Day presents, here's what I've bought in the past day or so:

Idole EDT
Opus III
Lyric Man
Atlas Cedar
Terre de Sarment
Poivre Piquant
Cour de Vetiver
Seville a l'aube.
Genie des Bois

Better put my wallet away for a while, I think.

Nice haul :)

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luca Turin's review for Amouage's Fate Woman. *****
How time flies. It seems only yesterday (actually five full years) that Christopher Chong took over Amouage’s art direction and propelled this Omani firm, then known chiefly for its classic no-expense-spared Gold, into the first rank of perfumery. Chong is that rare bird, a natural perfumery art-director, who knows what he wants and will not give up until he finally smells it. In a recent interview with Style.com/Arabia, he said that Fate was a loud fragrance, so one expects a massively-built monster like the wonderful Ubar reissue in 2009. The surprise begins with the first puff from the spray: a fresh, radiant, powdery advance guard briefly fills the room. Seconds later, you are faced with one of the most intricate and beguiling fragrances in years. Nothing this big, complex and beautiful has been done since the first Boucheron. Though the top has a Guerlain-like appetizing feel, Fate borrows its core from Opium, i.e., woody-balsamic with an emphatic dose of the cool minty note that separates it from the merely warm, dusky Cabochard-Cinnabar style. Opium’s virtue was its novel, instantly recognizable tune, of which we eventually tired. But don’t let the reference put you off. Fate is to Opium what Mitsouko was to Coty’s Chypre: a transfiguration. The central structure is deep in there, now cloaked in a cloud of radiant dust borrowed from the unstructured opulence of Gold, plus—a brilliant touch—a dry, fresh cigar-box cedar note to guard against excessive sweetness. Loud? Possibly, but comfortably so, without harshness or distortion. Like very few fragrances, Fate delivers the rush of physical glee you get when you sit in the front row of the stalls and a great orchestra begins to play. Just don't wear it to supper.

Profumo's Oud Caravan No. 3 received *** as did Slumberhouse's Norne. See here.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Luca Turin and find him to be a rock among a see of perfume reviewers best described as pseudointellectuals and nincompoops.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acqua di Parma colonia Essenza

have to say I prefer the standard AdP but this is pretty good too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads