1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

SOTE is Japon Noir. I first smelled this at a TF trunk show when the Private Blends were still new. Right away I thought it was amazing. It's a dark, spicy, leathery scent that dries down to a sweet amber. When I first tried it I experienced it as unabashedly masculine, and I still do. But just now I checked out a bunch of reviews online and I saw a lot of people bellyaching about how it was too feminine. Maybe I just have an idiosyncratic conception of what counts as masculine and feminine, but it's hard for me to imagine someone finding this too feminine.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I'm looking for an empty or partial bottle of Japon Noir for my collection so if you ever finish it (assuming it's a black retail bottle) please let me know!

I'm missing Japon Noir and Plum Japonais and it's killing me haaa.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

You collect empty bottles, Master-Classter?

So I discovered an amazing jasmine - Tawaf by La Via del Profumo. It as intense jasmine made from very high-quality natural ingredients. This guy who makes it doesn't bullshit around with civet and what seems like real musk and Mysore sandalwood. I also just got a bottle of Oakmoss, which also contains Mysore sandalwood as well as the main ingredient of oakmoss. This is a extremely elegant fragrance that is reminiscent of the old school masculine powerhouses but, like I said, it is elegant and lean, thus making it modern in style. Both of these mentioned fragrances are concentrated and most likely eau de parfums.

4. Master-Classter

Yep well either empties to fill out the collection/sets, or actually in most cases I have a decant of something but wish I had the original bottle too so I put them together.

so just a general shout out, as you guys probably know I'm a Tom Ford fan so if you ever have random partial or empty bottles please let me know. I'm interested and will pay for them :)

5. L'Incandescent

@Master-Classter I've never actually had a full bottle of Japon Noir. When I use up a decant, I have always just bought another one.
    Do you have the new Venetian Bergamot? As some of you have seen, I've been raving about it.

Pre-shower: Cuir Beluga. This is a pleasant suede-vanilla-amber scent. Based on the glowing reviews I saw, I thought I'd love this. I do enjoy it, but it's not among my very favorites.
    SOTD: Velvet Orchid. I've had a complete change of heart on this one. I wasn't a fan at first, but now I enjoy it a lot. It's a much lighter, somewhat boozier version of Black Orchid. I saw on Sephora that they described it as ├╝ber-feminine. I guess maybe it is, but I enjoy wearing it.

6. Master-Classter

Ah, gocha. I've got a decant too. I sold my black retail bottle years ago and regretted it ever since :embar:

Given that I'm in Canada, we're always a little slow to get things so I haven't tried the Venetian Bergamot just yet, though honest doesn't sound like something I'd be into, but of course I'll give it a few wearings as soon as we get it over here.

7. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

A quite cool Fathers Day here today. We went to a Peruvian restaurant and gorged ourselves on ceviche, smoked and grilled meats, pisco and red wine. I wore Lonestar Memories, which was just perfect.

8. L'Incandescent

PSA: For you Amouage lovers, there are some great deals at STC. http://surrendertochance.com/weekly...ampaign=40%+off+ending+soon!&utm_medium=email

Pre-shower: Datura Noir.
    SOTD: Stilettos on Lex. Powdery, musky pear with a bit of violet leaf. Jul et Mad are definitely one of my favorite perfume houses. They recently released three more fragrances in the "Les White" series. My samples of those should be arriving on Tuesday. I can't wait to try them. (I've been tracking the shipment, and they seem to have taken an unnecessarily circuitous route to St. Louis.)

9. L'Incandescent

SOTE is El Attarine. If I were smelling this blind, I would be able to tell you in a split second that it was Serge Lutens! Cuminy syrupy dried fruits with a cedary base.

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today, I wore some Mysore sandalwood oil. This evening I put on some Diaghilev. It's a beautiful perfume. The drydown has a prominent labdanum note to it, which I really like. Amouage Fate Woman is also heave on the labdanum, and while I find Fate very nice, the labdanum seemed cloying to me, whereas Diaghilev is balanced with oakmoss and dry wood.

11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Back to work. Sad face. Had to break the news to my boss on his return from holiday that the project is stuffed and we have no money. I wore Dior Homme, and I think I got away with it.

1 person likes this.
  12. TMAdidas

TMAdidas Senior member

Polo Blue for a round of golf today

13. Master-Classter

Just doused myself in Kouros (not vintage) just cause why not.

I'm having trouble categorizing this one. It's aromatic, slightly powdery/floral, and leather, and a little dirty. I don't know if I should put it with leather/oud, spices, or florals/powder

14. L'Incandescent

Today I am wearing George Sand by MPG. This is one of my favorite patchoulis.

15. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Memoir Man. My second favorite amouage (behind Jubilation) that I have tried so far.

1 person likes this.
  16. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Did it help/hurt?

Off topic, I just searched for golf on SF and the thread that came up is rather inactive. *sigh*

17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Yeah, now that you mention it, you're right about there being no discussion of golf on here. :puzzled: That's really strange!

Today it was beautiful and hot (mid 80s) so I wore Voyage d'Hermes Parfum. This evening I put on my wrist some La Via del Profumo Tabac.

18. TMAdidas

TMAdidas Senior member

Must've hurt cuz I shot an 85, which is the worst I've shot this year. But I've also just come off a back injury so I doubt it was the cologne.

19. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Wearing TF Italian Cypress today. Probably my favorite of the Private Blends.

20. Master-Classter

oy, bad news is I just heard it's being discontinued (whomever said it here was right and I was wrong when I said it seemed unlikely).

SOTE is Dior Fahrenheit. I'm working through my collection and not really feeling this one. I think I bought it for the cool bottle and to 'have it as a collector' but practically speaking I don't think I actually like this smell.

1 person likes this.