1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

I am curious on your list 15 or so great fragrances. Could you share them with us?

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I might be forgetting something obvious because I'm doing this off the top of my head, but:

Rose Nacrée du Desert
    Cafe Rose
    Oud Silk Mood
    Ta'if (Ormonde Jayne)
    Portrait of a Lady
    Lyric Man
    Parure
    Arabian Wood
    Une Rose Vermeille
    Bois des Iles
    The Afternoon of a Faun
    Coromandel
    Amber Absolute
    Stilettos on Lex
    Fate Man

1 person likes this.
  3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Well, anyone who is looking to clear out, I'm still looking to expand and experiment... so please PM me with anything you might be thinking of getting rid of.

SoTD today is Dunhill Edition - unapologetically big, old school and masculine. Most people seem to think that this is a spicy citrus but I'd say it's actually a highly spiced floral. The citrus and lavender at the beginning give way pretty quickly to cloves, cinammon, sage and flowers (I think, carnation in addition to geranium). The dry-down is the classic gentleman's club combination of leather armchairs, the faint whiff of cigar smoke and old wood. But the spice persists, which stops it being stale or boring.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Have an after-work date tonight, so wearing Egoiste again.

Thanks for the detailed feedback and recommendations, @L'Incandescent. I placed an order for the three fragrances I named with surrendertochance, and will look into the ones you recommended at a later point. There seem to be an almost infinite number of fragrances available; any tips on how to begin? I started with this list from D'Marge.

1 person likes this.
  5. L'Incandescent

PSA: Surrender to Chance has 15% off the following brands: Amouage, Arquiste, Byredo, Caron, Chanel, Creed, Dior, Diptyque, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, and Frederic Malle. Code is SEPTSPECIALS and the offer is good through Saturday.

6. L'Incandescent

I think sampler packs are a great way to get started. At Surrender to Chance and at The Perfumed Court, they've got sample packs that are based on certain notes. So if you're looking for fall/winter scents, it would make sense to try out a variety of ambers or maybe tobaccos. You can also get samplers organized by genre, such as aromatic fougere, masculine chypre, gourmand, etc.

7. L'Incandescent

Nombril Immense for me today. It's one of what I call the Big Three of patchouli scents. (Coromandel and Patchouli Imperial are the other two. George Sand could make it the Big Four, but I experience that one as being qualitatively different--less of a straight up patchouli.)

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Thanks for the heads-up on STC L'Inc.

Today I'm wearing my final Hermessence sample: Santal Massoia. Yet another skin-clinger. Can't understand why anybody would part with big money for these things. Not when you can buy Frapin, Lubin, SL and other far more potent niche fragrances for less.

9. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Oud Silk Mood is soooo awesome....

thats prob a top of mine too..def at the top of ouds

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

PSA: Fabulous Fragrance Friday @ STC. Lots of of 5 ml decants at $ 5.99/8.99/12.99.Combineable with 5%/8% discount code, or the 15% on selected brands code.
    5.99, 5.99, 8.99, 8.99, 12.99.

1 person likes this.
  11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Yesterday, wore Bruno Fazzolari Au Dela - I got a sample pack from them and really like this one. In fact, all of these fragrances by him are bottle-worthy. They have this weird but not off-putting signature of a slate-like mineral quality.

13. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

Roja Dove semi bespoke (5)

14. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Creed Silver Mountain Water for summer's last gasp. Lovely scent, but projection is not very good.

Thanks again. You are to fragrances as Huntsman is to spirits. I think I'm going to start with the Malcolm Gladwell "wisdom of crowds" approach to find fragrances that get consistently high reviews and then delve into sample packs when I nail down what note I like.

I've also heard good things about Amouage Jubilation. How would you compare the two?

I think I'm going to use the STC 15% code to buy samples of Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud, MF Musc Ravageur, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Aventus, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Bois du Portugal, and an Amouage fragrance.

My Egoiste is running low, and I've actually looked up Egoiste Cologne Concentree on eBay. Hopping down this rabbit hole is going to get expensive. :embar:

15. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I'm on a real trad man kick at the moment. So the SoTD is Tabac - yes, that one - the old Maurer & Wirtz fragrance. And you know what? I really, really like it. It's a real barbershop kind of smell, but a good barbershop. My dad used to wear this, and it has nice memories of childhood too.

1 person likes this.
  16. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

By the way if you're at all into wet shaving, I'm sure most of you guys know but that tabac puck of soap with the tallow give a great shave! And last forever.

17. kulata

kulata Senior member

SOTD L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

1 person likes this.
  18. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Tabac is one shaving soap I've never tried, my go to's are D.R. Harris' Lavander and Mitchell's Wool Fat. Heard great things about Tabac though.

19. L'Incandescent

I'm wearing Amour de Palazzo today. Lovely animalic spicy amber.

20. L'Incandescent

I wonder if anyone will be able to guess my SOTE of the evening? Hint it is Chinatown.