• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial Word Association -

John2007

Reaction score
Wake up. It's not about the clothes it's about the snobbery.
Unlike you I was never banned from a certain forum. I left because it made me sick.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John2007
Wake up. It's not about the clothes it's about the snobbery.
Unlike you I was never banned from a certain forum. I left because it made me sick.

Gotta move forward John.
This is the rut that the style is in.

Thoughts about how to make the point that there is more to America's home grown sartorial heritage than crab encrusted bow ties?

What other country has this attitude to it's tailoring history?

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John2007
Here's your answer.

Breathe with me, John -
In with the good air,
Out with the bad...

OK. That's Trad taken care of then.
Global Warming next.

John2007

Reaction score
I actually agree with you on most points Russell, just not with the way you express them. Your "Trads & Trolls" comment elsewhere sums up the whole problem with discussing Classic American tailoring on the various clothing fora.

I quit Andy's Trad forum because all I could see were entrenched opinions with very little thought behind them. Most of what was being discussed wasn't even Trad anyway as the term was originally intended.

I enjoy your rants and the way that they coincide with various phases of the moon but what you need is a debate on the style not an argument.

Trad is what it is, and it's that way because that's what people want. Do you get it yet? It's tough luck for your beloved 'Ivy League Style' that it's new found fans are using it for an agenda that you don't like. Tough luck for you too.
I suggest you just sit back and watch it destroy itself as tacky photo shoot after tacky photo shoot drag the style down to the level of cheap Appreciation.
Weather out the storm.
If the style is any good it will survive Fogies and fat men in smoking jackets.
Let their sh*t-headedness be their problem not yours.
Chill.

I just got some new Mercers - Why not talk about the good stuff instead?

Larry Lean

Reaction score
LOL!

The Good Stuff:

Good Grey Flannels.
Andover Shop Shetlands.
Old Stock Penny or Classic Beefroll Sebagos.
Troy Shirtmakers Guild or Andover Shop OCBDs.
Vintage or selected new London Fog Raincoats.
Pre-2004 J.Press Herringbone 3 to 2 roll Sack jackets.
JFK Haircuts.
Liquid lunches.

Do you know the real Russell Street in London by any chance? Home to J. Simons? The only Ivy League shop in Europe?

PM or post, I'm always up to chat Ivy.

Yrs.

"Russell Street"

John2007

Reaction score
Good list. The Trad wardrobe without the Trad attitude, eh? PM to follow.
J. Simons? Rings a bell.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
exclusionary

dull

Yeah. Call it the style that F*cked itself.

I just keep hoping for a way forward.

Once it was young, cool & relaxed now... Well, ... not so much.

When did it all go wrong?

'Preppy'? Ralph Lauren? 'Trad'?

We should have a Witch-hunt. Witch-hunts are very 'Trad'!
smile.gif

Happy New Year to all (When it comes)

LL.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what though. Every now and then, I throw on a pair of Khakis, a rep striped tie and a BB slim fit shirt, just to mix things up a bit. But, I can't bring myself to wear any kind of button down, non-horsebit loafers (especially tassels!) or any kind of childhood images (whales, crabs, ships, etc.) on my trousers or a sack suit or blazer. With this outfit I still go with a Corneliani blue darted blazer.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I'll tell you what though. Every now and then, I throw on a pair of Khakis, a rep striped tie and a BB slim fit shirt, just to mix things up a bit. But, I can't bring myself to wear any kind of button down, non-horsebit loafers (especially tassels!) or any kind of childhood images (whales, crabs, ships, etc.) on my trousers or a sack suit or blazer. With this outfit I still go with a Corneliani blue darted blazer.

I'm thinking that THIS is probably the way forward.
Take the best bits from Trad (& there are a few nice bits in there) and mix them up with your own look.
I'm a bit purist so I tend to go full tilt at the style, but never into pastiche like some of the AndyTrads.
There is a big comparison to be made between classic English dressers and our dear American Trads - Those who get both looks wrong always go far too far in their ignorance. So you get odd Bertie Wooster clones on one side of the Atlantic and strange looking men in Crabby pants on the other side.

Both in full costume.

... And the style becomes clownish.

IMVHO.

Dormouse

Reaction score
Trad can be quite charming on middle-aged men but rather disagreeable on younger persons.

I'm a bit purist so I tend to go full tilt at the style, but never into pastiche like some of the AndyTrads.
I never did understand the attraction to crab pants. And yes, some of the AndyTrads are bordering on caricature.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads