• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial mythbusting

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

It scares me to fathom the dress of a nation where such an ensemble isn't that bold.

As opposed to a nation who dresses like this:

sartorialist-january-2009-scarf-1.jpg

Try harder...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joshman
You really need to travel more and open your eyes up.

ytr4567.jpg

You mistake rejection for ignorance. It's not as if I am unaware that people wear shirts like that--doesn't matter where. I simply think it's ugly.

Originally Posted by George
As opposed to a nation who dresses like this:

sartorialist-january-2009-scarf-1.jpg

Luca's style isn't emblematic of his country, nor would it matter if it were. Whether or not all of England dresses as as you suggest, it doesn't change the fact that I think it is ugly.

What both of you seem to ignore is that it doesn't influence me one way or another that something might be normal in the UK.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grayson
Nice combo, FNB. Very English and very T&A-ish.
Agree with George about foof. The young man has a long way to learn.

Below are 2 similar examples

suitcntry04.jpg

suitcntry02.jpg

Does FNB like being compared to Francis Bown, whose pictures these are?

Here is a full on glamour shot of the same subject, reflecting the marriage of Italian and British style:

shirts05.jpg

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mistake rejection for ignorance. It's not as if I am unaware that people wear shirts like that--doesn't matter where. I simply think it's ugly.

Luca's style isn't emblematic of his country, nor would it matter if it were. Whether or not all of England dresses as as you suggest, it doesn't change the fact that I think it is ugly.

What both of you seem to ignore is that it doesn't influence me one way or another that something might be normal in the UK.

Where did I suggest that all England dress like that? What I said was it was acceptable in England to dress like that. Most English people dress as **** as they do in the U.S.

The point of the younger Rubinacci photograph was to show that colourful dressing isn't just an English trait, look at the Sartorialist blog. Italy's youth tend dress colourfully. Unlike you I've actually lived in Italy.

It's also a picture of a man's style you admire, which is much more colourful than FNB's shots. Do you think he looks good in that photograph?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Does FNB like being compared to Francis Bown, whose pictures these are?

Here is a full on glamour shot of the same subject, reflecting the marriage of Italian and British style:

shirts05.jpg

A marriage that's sadly destined for divorce.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unlike you I've actually lived in Italy.

What makes you assume I haven't?

It's also a picture of a man's style you admire, which is much more colourful than FNB's shots. Do you think he looks good in that photograph?

Since when do I admire him? I don't dress anything like Luca, or aspire to. Perhaps you have him confused for his father.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The nationality debate strikes me as a blind alley. I like color, even like the striped shirts the English are known for (though not so much for myself). But, like anything, the bold shirt look can be done well or done poorly.

Exactly

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't read all of the pages of this threak, but I would assume that a hand-sewn "loop" stitch would allow more shearing motion than it would elasticity, thus allowing more movement than a locking stitch.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makes you assume I haven't?

Well, have you?

Since when do I admire him? I don't dress anything like Luca, or aspire to. Perhaps you have him confused for his father.

No, I've read some of your posts and reading between the lines I'd say you admire his style. IIRC you started a thread about a cloth you had seen him wearing and having a suit made up out of it, I would take that as admiring his style, no?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I've read some of your posts and reading between the lines I'd say you admire his style. IIRC you started a thread about a cloth you had seen him wearing and having a suit made up out of it, I would take that as admiring his style, no?
Liking a cloth is hardly 'admiring [a] style'. I like the fabric FNB is wearing, but dislike the overall appearance.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, have you?

I spent a semester in college living in Rome.

Since when does liking a particular cloth equate with admiring someone's style?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene